Another question about sneezing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Question Another question about sneezing

My boys have been sneezing a bit more recently, and I did see Vladina's post on winter sneezing, which has definitely helped. My apartment is VERY dry, and I went out and bought a humidifier last weekend, and their sneezing has gone down a bit since I've had it on. However, they are still sneezing more than usual (maybe a couple times an hour), and I've noticed a bit more bruxing lately, too. Is this something to take them to the vet for? There is no more porphyrin than normal (just after naptime), and they are eating and drinking normally, and still as active as ever during playtime.

I am home 24/7 with them over break, and will be for the next week until school starts up again, so I might just be a bit more sensitive to their sneezes. The past few days I've been going to their cage and checking their breathing through the bars after they sneeze, and I do rat phone with them every time I take them out. So far, I haven't heard anything other than their heartbeat and breathing/sniffing. Any suggestions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Maybe I should ask this a different way: When you listen to a rat's breathing, what should you hear and what should you not hear?

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:41 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Do you know if their sneezes are wet? When you do the rat phone you should be listening for congestion, clicking, stuff like that.

What kind of heat do you have in your house?

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Their sneezes do not seem wet. I have water heating in my apartment complex, so there are radiator-type rails along the bottom of the walls. Their cage is on the only wall that does not have one. When I do rat phone, I hear their heart beat and I can hear them sniffing.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:46 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

When should clicking/wet sneeze be concerning to the point of bringing to the vet?
Louna has ALWAYS sneezed and sometimes it's a bit wet, and sometimes it isn't, so it's not all the time...
and if the liquid (sometimes she just has like a tiny little pearl) is completely see through like water, is that alarming?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
When should clicking/wet sneeze be concerning to the point of bringing to the vet?
That is something I've always wondered, too. I would assume that any type of clicking would need a vet visit, but with sneezing I'm not so sure. I'm also unsure of what, exactly, a "congested" chest sounds like.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by breyer08 View Post
That is something I've always wondered, too. I would assume that any type of clicking would need a vet visit, but with sneezing I'm not so sure. I'm also unsure of what, exactly, a "congested" chest sounds like.
The way I can describe it is it sounds kinda like bubbles in the lungs if that helps any

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Well, I just made a vet appt. for my two boys for Friday morning. They are still sneezing, and Russell just woke up with quite a bit of porphyrin around his nose. (He's washed it off, but it was more than normal.) When I listen to his breathing, I can hear a bit of a husky breath sound--not bubbly, but dry. Sometimes when he sniffs next to my ear his sniffing is a bit high pitched, if this makes sense.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:42 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

hey I also took an appointment for louna on monday!
apparently there's this great exotic vet here who's great with rats so I decided even if she's not sick for 55$ i'd get reassured and see if this vet is good for later on if she gets seriously sick.
Louna has been sneezing more than usual, and from time to time it seems mucus in her nose doesn't let her breathe properly and she sort of tries to push it out by sneezing. when she wakes up it's not porphyrin that comes out but clear fluid (very little, but still) so I'm a bit worried.
Let me know how it goes for your boys breyer 08!
I'll take the opportunity to ask the vet all the questions i ever had!
the vet seems great, they already asked me to make a list of all the foods i give her and what's in the mix and on what bedding she is even before having booked the appointment
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Sneezing is a sign of a bacterial infection.

Tags
sneezing