Any Advice For Me? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Any Advice For Me?

Well, I'm getting two female rats (craigslist rescue) from a very nice lady who's moving in 3 weeks. One is hairless, one is hooded. I'm not sure what their names are now, but I plan on teaching them that their names are Lady and Bug.

I've had mice before, so may I ask, are rats alot different in care? What kind of advice can you give to me? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:14 AM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

Rats are very inttegent and can learn names and to use a litter pan as well. Rats and mice are diffrent they eat about the same but rats need more. You can get rat food seed based or pellets. aspen or care freash or critter care can be used as beding or old shreded paper.
They can eat what you eat but in certin amount and certin things. Look up rat food what not to give them and what they can have. Freash veggies and fruits are great for them. They can have dog and cat food I give it to mine as more a treat though mixed in their food. Look up sue b's diet for rats and follow that or make your own version. I place posta noodles in mine and they love cherrios.
Rats are social and a cage mate is always a good thing to have and since you are getting 2 that is wonderful but they need time out with you as well. They love hamik and fleac blankets and make shure to get them chew treats to keep their teeth filed down.
here are a few sites that can help and I know I am leaving stuff out becuase its early morning here and I havent had enough coffee. LOL and I am sure that there are others who will fill in the blanks that I left out. Also make shure they have a big enough cage. you can use a rat calculater to determin the size cage you may need.
http://www.quite.co.uk/rats/
there is also other links on there for more info
http://ratguide.com/
more so for medical stuff but dose have other stuff on it
http://www.ratfanclub.org/diet.html
http://www.afrma.org/
there are just a few to get you started I have a lot more in my favorits folder just have to serch threw it all and get some more

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:40 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeHale View Post
Well, I'm getting two female rats (craigslist rescue) from a very nice lady who's moving in 3 weeks. One is hairless, one is hooded. I'm not sure what their names are now, but I plan on teaching them that their names are Lady and Bug.

I've had mice before, so may I ask, are rats alot different in care? What kind of advice can you give to me? Thanks in advance!
Rats are different then mice.

Rats are more friendly,cuddly and affectionate then mice.They like to be with their humans in most cases.They can be taught tricks and such.Rats need at least an hour out of cage to play,explore,run and such.They also need toys and things to keep them busy in their cages.

www.martinscages.com

These are good cages! Rats need roomy cages,preferably with levels.

Do not use pine or cedar,these are toxic beddings.Aspen,Carefresh and Yesterdays News are all good choices,as well as hemp.I personally use aspen and shredded paper.

The seed mixes in the pet stores that are "made" for rats...well they are crap! They are not good for rats at all.I make a homemade mix for my rats and give them lab blocks as well.I will also give them veggies,fruits,grains,some bits of meat or fish...etc,etc.

Sugary,salty and spicy foods are to be avoided and NEVER give your rats pop drinks,as they cannot burp and the carbonation can cause them alot of discomfort.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:41 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Hey there ZoeHale,

Welcome. As someone who's kept mice for a few years, and someone who is also getting her first rats soon, I can tell you from my research that keeping rats will be much different than keeping mice. In fact, I'd say rats seem to have more in common (in terms of amount of responsibility) with ferrets, than mice. LOL

I will be happy to share some of what I've found. I know everyone else here will give you even better advice. Lessee. In no particular order, some considerations:

1) Males and Females are equally social, so just as you are doing, keep them in same sex pairs, or groups--or if they are neutered/spayed, you can safely keep them mixed sex.

2) Rats are prone to respiratory problems. Extra care will need to be made to keep them healthy, or to care for them when they get sick.

3) Cage: Aquariums are not a good choice. There is not enough ventilation to keep their lungs healthy. Also, you will need to make sure the cage bars are small enough to prevent escapes. Smaller females and juveniles are notorious escape artists. You should plan on spending between $70-150 on a proper cage, though some folks can find them cheaper occasionally on craigslist/ebay/freecycle or through rat community swaps.

Examples of good cages for your needs:

Martins Cages: http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/
The best choices are the R680, R685, or R695. Avoid their 'aquarium toppers', as the rats will not use the bottom level, and it is horrible to keep clean.

Critter Nation:http://www.midwesthomes4pets.com/cat...nu=2&catid=140 I know nothing specific about them, but they have a devoted following here.

4) Bedding: For Shavings: Aspin is great. Pine or Ceder or any other aromatic bedding is horrible for their lungs. The lower 'dust' level to the bedding the better. Another favorite is "Yesterday's News" brand paper bedding. It's lower dust than others. Many people simply line their cages with cut to size fleece/flannel. You can get it in the scrap bins of fabric stores.

5) Space: They will need out of cage social time every day. At least an hour is ideal. Some people have a designated Rat Room. Others build a rat play pen. Some let them have free run of the house. The area (s) you allow them free time will need to be rat proofed and safe for them.

Here's a site with some suggestions on Rat Proofing: http://www.80stoysale.com/ratproof.html

6) Food: Here's a good link to get you started on your rat's nutritional needs: http://www.pxrats.com/ratfood.html

Other than reading through this forum, other good resources for you are:

http://ratguide.com This site covers everything from vet care to socialization and most things in between.

I have found Goosemoose forum to be a treasure trove of archived information. Specifically the "Rats Rule" section which has the Reference Desk, Rat Care, and Home Squeak Home. You don't even have to join the forum to find what you need there.
http://www.goosemoose.com/component/...,118/forum,rat

Welcome!

And, pics! We wanna see pics! We loves pics!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you all so much! I think I'm going to get the girls either tonight or tomorrow, as soon as the lady emails me back (don't you hate it when people take their leisurely time responding when you're excited?) with her location and a pickup time, I'll be zippidy-doo-da-ing over there!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

post picks of them when they are settled in for us.
I hope we gave you the all the advice we could but there is always more that is being learned every day as in new things and just keep reading up and studying on rats, even ask a vet that deals with rats about them or if you find a breeder around they can help you out on making shure they have the right food and housing and all. But remember if you are never shure about any thing the answer is NO untill you find out weathers asking one of us or a ver or reputable breeder. I wish you luck with the newbies.

Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well, I went and got them, they're still pretty nervous about being in a new home. And I've read everything that you guys have posted, and I think I retained about 95% of it. Definitely going to be going back to those pages.

And here's the pictures! Since I can't post pics yet, here's links, take the spaces out.

Here's Lady exploring my pillow:

i346. photobucket .com /albums/p434/urbanhippie_21/IMG_0772.jpg

And here's a very crappy pic of Bug eating, she's still very shy.

i346. photobucket .com /albums/p434/urbanhippie_21/IMG_0755.jpg
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I tryed both but it said that it couldnt find any thing. You can always put them in album or make one for your profile on here

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2010, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Oh, thanks! I took your advice and I put the pics in an album. Well, the album.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 06:30 AM
Adolescent Pup

Congratulations on getting rats. Be glad that you got a same sex pair. Males are generally lazy but not quite as easy to introduce new ones down the road. But you can do it.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 AM
Official Loofah Tester

How adorable! That's the prettiest nakey rat I've seen in a while, and Lady is cute as a...er...Bug's ear!

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2010, 11:42 AM
RAT ADDICT

I didn't see the pictures,but I am sure they are cute! They are rats afterall!

Good luck with them,cute names!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
advice