Any cures for sick mice you can get without a vet visit? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Any cures for sick mice you can get without a vet visit?

(Please note that I'm referring to a pet store mouse and that I'm not trying to find a way around taking one of my own mice to the vet or anything.)

My guess is no, and I know you shouldn't get an animal if you can't afford the vet for it, which is why I've passed up on a lot on a lot of animals, lol. If I know for sure before I buy it that it's going to cost me tons, there's no way my parents would go for that. But I'm hoping that maybe there might be some home remedy or easily-accessible drug for the basic fluffy/sneezey symptoms that most pet store mice seem to have. I complain to the pet stores and tell them their animals need a vet and hope that they do something about it, but I know they probably don't.

I saw a really unique mouse at the pet store yesterday, I don't even know how to describe her color. Like a coffee mouse with white snowflakes all over her. But she was fluffy and her breathing was rapid. Is there anything that can be done for a mouse in that condition aside from a vet visit? Tetracyclene (sp?) or anything along those lines? I keep thinking about her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 07:34 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

the vet would probably give out anti biotics but for you to doses it would be bad,

you shouldn't support unheathy petstores anyway. just keeps telling them skimping on vet care makes us more money.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 08:21 PM Thread Starter

True, and usually when I see they have sick animals I just walk away, but every once in a while there's one that really stands out, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-24-2008, 11:05 PM
Will It Ever Change?

yeah...we can't give medical advice. but, is she on pine?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

I don't -think- it's pine, but I never do pay much attention. I assumed it was aspen, it doesn't have a strong smell. But then again, nothing in that pet store smells like much, lol. For such a small pet store, it's kept remarkably clean. Anyway, next time I'm in I'll check that.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Most of the time, by the time you notice symptoms from a bacterial infection it's already too bad for the over the counter doses of tetracycline to do much, also the dosing can get risky.

Tags
medicine, mice