any ideas for having cheaper things? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Post any ideas for having cheaper things?

I might not get rats ,but I really want to.Does any one have any thing that i can to to lower the price for caring for the rats monthly? I also have that you can use fleece for a bedding, Does anyone ave anything?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

The monthly care for rats is really not that expensive--what DOES get expensive is the inevitable vet bills that you will have to pay at some point. In terms of cutting down monthly cost, there are some things you can do that will definitely make a difference in your budget.

Food: A good way to cut down cost is to make your own food. (I do, and it is not only cheaper overall, but also much healthier for the rats.) There are plenty of diet options, but I would recommend the Shunamite diet or Suebee's. (Shunamite is normally considered a British diet, but I live in the US and have been making it for my boys since they were young. It's a bit more flexible than Suebee's for things like age and dietary constrictions.)

Bedding/Litter: I use fleece in my boys' cage and they are litter trained, so that also cuts down on the cost of bedding. A great idea for fleece is to get some scraps at a fabric store that they sell in bundles--they are really cheap, and the perfect size for ratty blankets!

Toys: Rats are perfectly happy with virtually everything and anything they can get their paws on. Great cheap toys include a digging box (I use a rubbermaid container with a bunch of old shirts and socks in it, and they LOVE burrowing and digging...and I can wash the stuff in the laundry every week!), old toilet paper or paper towel rolls, old cereal boxes, shredded paper, plastic tubes from the hardware store (they can run through them). Lots of options here!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 06:09 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The best place to go shopping for supplies is Lowes Home Depot or any tractor supply store you can make toys outta just about anything and they love chewing on paper towel rolls

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I agree with breyer, the scrap fleece is such a bargain and I make blankies and hammocks out of that stuff.
Toys can be made from just about anything really as long as its not sharp and non toxic.
If you want to use old jeans or towels for rat blankets and hammocks, that's a great deal too (and a great way to recycle!)

Make sure you get 2+ rats because they get lonely without friends. Rats are great pets...Good Luck

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I really appreciated you guys helping me, because I'm kind of new.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Official Loofah Tester

+1 what everyone else said. Except for vet if you happen to have a rat with health issues, with a little creativity and effort, rats are not that expensive to keep. We're saving all of our carboard boxes and toilet rolls. I also am looking at garage sales for old kid toys.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Part of the Pack

i've always found packing things with other things and threading them with things works. like packing a toilet roll tube with treats, then stringing it with a shoe lace so the rats find it hard to get.

and asking people at shops for cardboard. if you have kids you can use up some of their time by making castles and stuff for the rats then watching them play with the stuff the children have made.

i hope that helps

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Oh yes, I may not have ever had rats, but I can attest that litter-trained pets are MUCH cheaper. You don't constantly have to go out to buy more bedding(like, my guinea pig isn't litter-trained, and her cage lasts about 4 days on shredded paper and about a week on compressed pellets. My rabbit is litter-trained, and her litter box lasts 24 hours on shredded paper, but longer on compressed pellets. A litter-box requires much less "stuffing" than an entire cage), and however much bedding you do buy in one go, lasts a long time if it's only being used in a litter box.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
+1 what everyone else said. Except for vet if you happen to have a rat with health issues, with a little creativity and effort, rats are not that expensive to keep. We're saving all of our carboard boxes and toilet rolls. I also am looking at garage sales for old kid toys.
you can also get kids toys at second hand shops for really cheap ,or make your own

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 04:07 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you can look for a cage on craigslist or thrift stores or make your own it is 100 times cheaper than buying one.

you can use things like bones and cereal and fruit and veggies as treats instead of buying a box of cheerios would last 100 times longer than a little bag of marketed rat treats.... plus a box of cheerios is cheaper than a bag of treats to begin with.

You can use yesterdays news cat litter instead of yesterdays news rodent litter it is a lot cheaper and the same product...

you can get boxes for free at the post office or supermarkets for hide boxes and toys stuff with tissues or newspaper or whatever for fun

you are the best toy a rat can have so that is low cost

You don't need a ball and my rats didnt want anything to do with a wheel. so i wuldn't bother getting either just lots of outter cage time...

lots of sites have good free toys

you could find an organic fruit orchard for chew sticks

they like a hard boiled egg part every once and a while and that is pretty low cost.

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 07:11 AM Thread Starter

Thanks!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:34 PM
Playful Pup

I first bought a cage at petsmart. 45 bucks for a 18x12x24 a rip off if you ask me. I have just built my own for about $20 thats 24x20x36. Now thats a steal if you ask me i conected them both together with a tube for film that we use at work and by rats love it to death never seen them happier. Now i work for a company that makes metal roofs and trim so i got some of my things for the cage for free but still it can be done cheaply but nicely with a little time some planning and a few cuts and scrapes on your arms. LOL but its worth it. will post pics of there home when i am able.