Any info. please.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Any info. please....

Hi,

My name is Delona. Last Monday I found a baby field mouse drowning in my daughter's blow up pool. It had it's eyes closed and had very little hair. I thought it was doomed; but being an animal lover; I brought it in and dried it off. I warmed it up, and got on the internet to figure out what I dould do for it. Since, I have bought an electric heating pad, a cage, and a little teddy bear for it. I have been feeding it with an eye dropper. I have been feeding it No Iron human baby formula. It opened it's eyes about four days ago, and has grown quite alot. In fact, to my surprise it is doing very well. It's name is Squeakers. It has been eating bread soaked in the formula for a few days also. Today I decided to give it some of my Hamster's seed, and it eagerly started to chomp on it! Anyway, my question is how old do you think it is, and is there anything anyone on here can think of that I can do for it other than what I am doing? I am going to get it a "real" cage with a wheel and water bottle soon. When can I quite feeding it formula?

Thanks,
Delona
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Will It Ever Change?

I believe around 4 weeks is when you begin to wean it off formula? And my guess is when you found it, it was about 2 weeks old? I hope someone else can verify this for me....

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

Thank you. For some reason I can't find a "timeline" for a mouse's age on the internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Will It Ever Change?

lemme see what I can dig up

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Will It Ever Change?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 03:49 AM
Jird Jostler

Oh, welcome to paw talk.. it seems like you are a keen on rodents as me =]

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 06:42 AM

I think that you have actually passed the most difficult stage. 8) They open their eyes at 2 weeks old, so it should be around 2.5 weeks old.

Here are 1 more websites that you can check out:
http://www.ratfanclub.org/orphans.html
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Cool

Thank you so much. I have no idea what I am doing, but it is working. For the past three days he/she has been self weaning off of the formula. This morning he/she has decided to only take it if a piece of bread is soaked in it. And, it is eating Hamster food (seeds and things). Plus, it's ears are more perked today, and it even seems bigger. I have never had a baby mouse before....they grow amazingly fast!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 04:32 AM
Playful Pup

What a lucky chance you have! Good luck with that baby!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 08:50 AM

They do grow fast. I don't know much about mice but baby rats grow noticeably every day for the first several weeks.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 02:31 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Good Luck! Do you plan on keeping it? Just to let you know that it might never become as tame as a domesticated mouse.

*Missy*
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2008, 06:37 AM

Wow, great work on saving it! Good to hear there are people like you who care about animals in need. I remember when my grandfather and I rescued a wood pecker that ran into our window and nursed it back to health for a while and successfully released it when it was healed - it was a great feeling knowing we helped and seeing it fly again. Whatever you plan on doing for the little mouse, good luck.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 12:40 AM

What a great deed rescuing him/her! My parents rescued a litter of mice or voles or something like that before I was born. They thought that the rats would be grateful and bond to them when they opened their eyes. (They found them when they were pinkies) Anyway when they opened their eyes the were terrified of them! What happened?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Smile

Hey Guys! Yes, I have kept her. She has a nice cage with a wheel. Although she hasn't quite figured out how to use it yet. LOL! YOu guys are correct- since she is not a domesticated mouse her instincts have kicked in and she is terrified of every one but me. She is even a little scared of me...But, she has a good life and I just didn't think I should release her because she is accustomed to being fed. She waits at her bowl in the evening for her bread. SHe eats mouse food too, seeds and stuff. Thanks for all your help, and if I could get her to be still, I will download some pics soon.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 02:25 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

WOW! I just read this whole thing! It's great hearing the progress you've gradually been making!
I'm sure she won't be as scared as you because you have nought her up as her foster mummy! *bless*
Congrats!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10