Anyone here make their own rat food mix? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Anyone here make their own rat food mix?

I was just wondering, since on the British forum "Fancy Rats" it seems that everyone makes their own food (the Shunamite Diet), if anyone here does or has done that? If so, what kinds of food did you use in the mix, and how well did it work for your rats? I'm getting a little tired of my boys not eating their Oxbow food and being quite picky with the Reggie Rat that I mix in... so I'm considering trying to make my own mix. Any suggestions or experience with this?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 08:29 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I do suebee's. However my rat is picky and doesn't eat everything from it, so I had to find a way to get her to eat more... she loves to go fishing for food, so I now give her food at night in a bowl with water, and she eats almost all of it!

you'll find it here:
http://www.ratsrule.com/diet.html

the reason I did that diet in the first place is that it's hard to find good commercial rat food in the pet stores close to me. And it also comes to a lot less money over time!

The dog food I use has too much protein, I'll change it once i finish the pack.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Ok, thanks! I had seen the Suebee's before, but I"d forgotten about it! It looks almost identical to the Shunamite diet. What type of dog food do you think would be best? (I see you're in Canada, but I would imagine the states would have similar brands to what you could get up there...) Also, what base food do you use?

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

there's no base food with suebee's it's puffed wheat, puffed rice, dry pasta, soy beans, cereal, dried fruit etc... and then some dog food.

I use dog food that's too high in protein, but on the website with suebee's they recommend really good food.