Armin Update - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Armin Update

So just wanted to give a little update on Armin.

He no longer runs when I approach the cage and he actually greets me at the cage! If I walk by,he follows me along the bars and will sniff at me through the bars.He also takes treats from me now!

He still won't let me handle him,but I can live with that...at least for now.I am just happy that he is not running,freezing and cowering in fear when I am around.

I still have not introduced Armin to Ronnie,but they are living in cages side by side.I am thinking tonight I will give intros a try in the tub!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:13 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Great! I bet you will be able to handle him soon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That's good news! I hope intros go well.

Maureen

Six new rats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 10:40 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yay!! Good luck!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:16 PM

That's great, I'm glad to hear that things are getting better! He'll warm up to you soon. Good luck on the intro!! Let us know how it goes.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

heres wishing you the best with the intros. Try puttinf vanilla on their backs I heard its supose to help i guess it makes them small the same. I have also heard of switching them as in putting them in each others cages for an hour so they get the smell of one another with out attually meeting them and they get each others smell on them. Then put them in the bath tub. I know you know how to intor rats but didnt know if you knew about the vanilla. I also heard putting some in there drinking water helps keep down the smell exspecailly the males. I have been doing it for a week with my male mice and its working.
Good luck and great he is taking treats from you.
Diamond
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh my gosh, Lisa, that's great!!! I knew he couldn't stay away from you forever!!! Hope the intos go well!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-30-2009, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Thanks!
Unfortunatly I have not been able to introduce them today...well yesterday (it is 12am now)...I was out and only got home about 11:30pm,so I will have to try tommorrow instead as it is late and I need to sleep.I have to get up early.

* Lisa *

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM

Glad to hear everything's going as it should be. I hope all the best for introductions!!
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 01:11 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Updates?? I would love to hear how he intros went! (=

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Nothing new...he is still the same!

* Lisa *

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

SQUEEEEEE!

Update from about 10 minutes ago!
I decided to put Armin and "Ronnie" in the tub.Armin was really nervous at first.I still cannot pick him up and had to let him climb out of his cage himself."Ronnie" and Armin hit it off right away! Imediatly they were grooming eachother!!!!!!!! No squabbles at all.Armin kept following "Ronnie" around and because "Ronnie" is friendly and would come to me,Armin followed and would sniff at me and you know when rats grab on to your hand with their little fingers,he did that!

I let him see me scratch "Ronnie" behind the ears (something "Ronnie" REALLY likes and makes him brux) and let him see me pick "Ronnie" up and let him down again.

Then after about 20 minutes of letting them run around together,I climbed in the tub with them! "Ronnie" took this opportunity to climb all over me and he tried "digging" in my leg,silly rat! Armin hid underneath my leg,but at least he didn't panic.

So things are working out it seems and I am so happy with this breakthrough! Tommorrow I am going to try and see if they will live together in the same cage.Because their cages were side to side,they obviously got used to eachother,as in the tub tonight they got along well.

I have a few pictures...which I will post in a few minutes.

* Lisa *

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

that is soooo great lisa! so happy to read this!
We knew he'd come around thanks to "ronnie"
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:51 PM

I am so excited for you!
I was suprised that they got along so well during their first meeting, but then I remembered their cages are next to each other and that Ronnie is such a sweet heart. I don't think any rat could be mean to him!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 10-04-2009, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f16/i...tml#post577097
Pictures are there.

Yeah,they obviously got used to eachother since I had their cages side by side.So I am happy.Going to try to see if they will live in the same cage tommorrow.

* Lisa *