Artemis – May 2010 to November 16, 2012 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Artemis – May 2010 to November 16, 2012

My first description of Artemis was;

Rat 2: Black Berk Female. Normal weight. Positive for lice eggs. Resp
issues, but vet thinks its more chronic/oldie lungs. Small tumor (i
think, but it may be rat 3 that has the tumor). May have the start of PT or
some other brain issue. The vet said that the neuro exam was a bit
off.

From the previous owner;
Rat 2: Artemis - Super sweet, she is the one with the start of PT but is still super active and loves to run around. Sometimes I need to hold her separately from the others when I give them veggies/fruit because the others will steal hers if I don't. Artemis and Apolla are related.

I got a message on FB from a woman I knew who was volunteering at a vet clinic. These rats came in with their owner and a sad story. He needed to rehome these special needs elderly girls but the only option he had was the shelter where they would be immediately put down. Liz thought of me and of course I said yes. It took a few weeks of finagling to get a transport in place as the owner suddenly moved 3 hours away from where he was originally. But finally…Artemis, Apolla and Mariah came home.
Artemis got a gentle exam, she had small tumours, lice, tatty patchy fur (she got Revo), and the most wretched URI (so much for oldie rat lungs ) and it was incredibly obvious she had PT so I started her on dexamethasone that night (very very late) and the next morning (with no response to the dex) I started her on bromocriptine, just praying to the Rat Gods we would get a response. Well she heard me.

Arrival

She was so sweet, but the confusion in her eyes when her body didn’t work the way she wanted it to was heart breaking.

Two days later YAY!!

[img] http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h75/rattiluv/London%20Ladies%20Oct%2027%2012/oct30Artemis5.jpg[/img

3 days later she’s able to turn quickly and not fall over.

And she’s able to start grasping and eating…I was THRILLED, and I think she was too

After this the progress was much slower but steady, it was just wonderful to see, and she was incredibly happy. She would get so excited when I would pat her and would brux and boggle and smile

Eating like a regular little ol’ rat.

Her Auntie Peggy sent her a hammock in the mail (it was even addressed to her and c/o of myself *giggle*) It was soft and warm, festive and she loved it.
She also loved all her meds I gave her, she didn’t care which one it was, but it was working, the URI was losing its stranglehood on her and was almost gone. Another triumph.

My little happy frog-girl

But sadly at only 2.5 weeks home, her PT took over and she regressed very rapidly. The bromocriptine wasn’t working so I hoped the dex might bring her back a little, but like before, no response. My poor gal was very tired.

I picked up some “Yummy pink stuff”(the real strawberry Ensure) to feed her but when I got home she was already past that stage. So I got settled in, with Artemis on my chest, and sang, and cuddled and stroked and talked to her, and finally ended up dozing a little until she finally let go at 2 am this morning.

Sweet Artemis, too short a time with me, but I bet it was just long enough for you. You will be missed beautiful girl.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh Artemis....you sweet beautiful girl. I remember your photos so well because when I saw them, I was just charmed and I melted like butter at your sweet, gentle eyes, and that endearing patch of swirling fur tufts on the top of your head. The little spots where the fur showed gaps...it just made you look so vulnerable and brought out such protective, maternal instincts in me.

You looked so happy in the photos, smiling right through a syringe of meds, like you are having a ball with your yummy "medicine treats".

You really stole my heart. Something in your eyes. You just looked so gentle and happy to be with Spaz. I never got to meet you in person, just like all the other ratties I see on the forum, but I still wish I could have held you and given you soft kisses on your beautiful, delightful fur swirls on your pretty head.

Rest and be happy, sweet girl. I miss you already.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Last edited by Vladina; 11-16-2012 at 08:07 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Minecraft Mouse

Unhappy

That is so sad.:"[ It breakes my heart. I felt the same way with my mouse Haymitch. he got better, then he had a stroke and died in my hand. Rest in peace Artemis. [Sob:"[ ].
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2012, 04:21 PM
Playful Pup

Agh, this made me cry.

Just remember how happy she got to be because you put forth the effort to try and save her. <3