Arthur had a near-death experience last night. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:19 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Unhappy Arthur had a near-death experience last night.

Hello everyone, I had a pretty hard time last night, and it's left me feeling very tired this morning.
Arthur has had breathing problems from around 6 months old, and we took him o the vet who gave him injections and gave us the strongest baytril solution she could give us, but none of it seemed to work, so she said that Arthur was probably going to have the breathing problems for the rest of his life, and she also mentioned it could be the thing that destroys him.
Anyway, last night we had quite a bad experience with Arthur, and I need to know whats best for him, and if it's going to happen again.
I went to bed at about 10:15, and I went on my DS to play a few brain teasers before I go to sleep. It must have been about ten mins later when I realised something was wrong, because I could here small squeeks coming from one of the cages, and Arthurs breathing sounded very laboured. I got out of bed, and ran my fingers accross his cage bars, he usually runs up to see whos there if you do that, but this time he just lay there. So, I opened his cage door, and climbed straight into my hands (which is unusual because he doesn't let me get him out of his cage, he has to come out on his own or he'll run back in) and I cradled him in my arms not sure what was going on. I turned on my light so I could see, and when I put Arthur on the bed I instantly new something was up because he lay completly flat on the bed, gagging for air . Luckily, my Mum was still up, so I ran down stairs with him, and my heart aching, managed to squeeze the words "Arthur can't breath" out. Mum just took him from me and was cuddling him and kissing him and hugged me. That was all she could do and I tell you it hurt more than ever the fact that all we could do was comfort him and there wasn't anything we could do to help . The way he was gagging, was like, opening and closing his mouth trying to gasp in quick breaths of air and making a noise while doing it (though he does always make a noise when breathing) this went on for about 30min-1hour before he started to calm down and breath easy. After it stopped and his breathing was back to normal (which is never silent, but I knew it was hom normally) he dribbled a bit and was very tired and very thirsty. I let him have a drink and sleep, and than set up my room so he could stay on my bed with me. Me and my Mum honestly thought we were losing him last night, we were both crying our eyes out, and I don't want to go through it all again, I'm sure if any of you have experienced your rat not being able to breath you understand, it must be one of the hardest things I've gotten through. Arthur is now breathing like he normally does, eating, drinking and grooming himself, I just don't know what happened or why? I had him out earlier that night and he was fine, it just suddenly came on. I don't even know what I should do, I need your honest advice, even if it will hurt me, because all I want is the best for Arthur and what can I do to keep him comfty and to help it? Do you think it will happen again?
Please help, we're so worried, and I'm sorry for the long post.
Thanks in advance!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

is there any chance he's allergic to anything in his cage? and that it gives him asthma? did you change anything in his cage? did you vaccuum that day?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

No, nothing, everything was the same. Can rats have asthma?
thanks
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I would say rats and any animal can have allergies and asthma... but I don't know for sure!

If I were you, instead of things like baytril, I would give grapefruit seed extract, it's a natural thing: it's just the oil taken from grapefruit seed and skin around the parts inside (not the outside peel) they've found that it's an amazing antibiotic, immune system booster, kills viruses and bacteria and fungus, and perhaps it could help arthur? It wouldn't take a lot and it's all natural and has no side effect, at the very worst, it just wouldn't change anything.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:04 AM

Oh sweetness, what a horrible thing to wake up to. I cannot imagine...

Hm, I read about a woman with her girl rat that had trouble breathing. She would run into the bathroom with her and turn the water on very hot, so it'd steam up, and just sit there holding her in her lap, while sitting on the floor. I think the steam would help him if he gets any attacks.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

ooh that's good advice! The hot steam dilates everyting in the respiratory system and helps breathing and decongest anything that might be blocking the passages!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 02:33 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That sounds like it might have been choking. Did he cough anything up like a piece of food? Severe respiratory issues can cause symptoms like choking if the airways are swollen or clogged with mucous. Choking rats often lay out flat, flatten their ears, drool, and hack or gag.

I hope Arthur is ok. If I were you I would read up on choking and see if it sounds like that's what was wrong. Here are some links:

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/choking.htm
http://www.ratz.co.uk/ailments.html

A video: http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...merchoking.flv

If you think it was choking, just watch out in case it happens again. Also learn how to do the ratty fling (described in the links) in case he ever needs it. If you think it was not choking I would recommend taking him to the vet for a check-up.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks very much everyone, I appreciate the help and ideas!
Maureen; thanks for taking your time to give me the websites, they were extremely helpful, at first I wasn't sure, but when I saw the video, it looked just like what Arthur was doing; it was choking. The only thing is, I only gave him normal rat nuggets that night, so I don't understand what went wrong, maybe he was eating them to fast. It only went on for an hour and the drooling only came by the time it was over, but not during the time it was happening-- and I saw no food that he might have gotten dislodged from his throat, the video was just like he was doing though, so I'm sure it was choking.
He seems a lot better today, he is very tired though, all he has done today is sleep and snuggle with me and my Mum.
I'm going to look into the severe respiratory issues too, because he has had the breathing problems since so young, just in case.
If anything else comes up I'll let you all know, thanks again, soo much
xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Glad to help, hun! Good luck with him, I hope it was just a one time thing. Give him a kiss for me.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thanks, he ate his dinner fine last night, which was a releif! I'll give him a kiss for you
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Tags
breathing, choking, gagging, rats