Arthur has a bad chest infection :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Arthur has a bad chest infection :(

Got Arthur home to day from my nan, grandad and uncle, who were looking after my rats while I was on holiday and unfortunatly Arthur didn't sound right. He was breathing really heavily and there was a rattly sound coming from him and somtimes he went through stages of hiccupping, so we got him in for an emergancy oppointment at the vets and he got seen to straight away.
When we got in there we all had a listen and he was so loud we could still hear him when the vet was talking so she had a listen to his chest and her face looked worried when she was listening!
She gave him an injection of antibiotics in his bottom, and OMG he didn't even flinch!! So we don't need to give him antibiotics at home, however...... we do need to separate him from the others and give him his own special water which we had to £35 for, but I don't mind cuz he is my baby! and we can't give him soft food at all. The vet said the water should clear up any airways and open up them a bit more to help him breath easier. Also she said to steam him- if you know what I mean, to keep the air moist.
She said that it was probably caused because of stress of moving and also because he was moved from a place with no seaside air to a place where there is a seaside ner by, which would have a change in air and anything up there that he is not used to here would make a difference to.
They said to bring him back in a week if we can still hear him and it doesn't clear up... hopefully he will get better soon! xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Poor guy! I hope he feels better soon. The antibiotics should clear him up quick.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Hopefully they will clear it up, but when I rang up my grandparents they said that we had given Arthur to them like he is, but he was never this bad! We knew he had the occational hiccup and wheeze, but there was nothing we could have done before we went on holiday because unless it's a really bad emergancy, the vets won't book you in untill the next day or two.
I couldn't sleep last night because Arthurs breathing was so bad, but this morning I seperated him into his own little cage which is on the side of my bed and pressed up against his normal cage with the others in there for him, that should help cheer him up. I put his meds in to, he already had some of that so thats going well cuz he doesn't think anything of it, he just drinks it as if it was water and the vet said he won't like it LOL
I want to let him out twice a day with all the others to play for an hour or two so he won't get lonley and thats just about all I can do for now.
Thanks for your reply xxxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 05:41 PM
RAT ADDICT

I hope he clears up soon.
Don't be suprised if your others get it,as you let them play.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2008, 05:09 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Looks like it's clearing up, I didn't realise the others could catch it, I'll wait until it's fully gone to let him with the others. Thanks.x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties