ashr - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

ashr

Today i came home around 7 in the morning from my moms, and decided to do some house cleaning...went to bring the recycling downstairs and saw a cage in the bin....to me this is odd but decided to pull it out thinking it could be donated to a cherity after being scrubbed down of course. anyways to my surpise there was these 3 things sitting there dirty and smelt really bad.... i brought them in and washed them up i thought baby mice???? appearntly not, i brought them to the vet this afternoon because one of the 3 is missing part of her tail turns out there african soft haired rats and not mice at all. Iv been doing research all afternoon , if anyone has experience with these type of cuties id love to hear from you so I can properly take care of them. i will post pics of them as soon as they calm down....i have them in a 55 gallon tank right now till i can get them a real cage..... but cant seem to find the right measurements for a real cage for them any suggestions to that as well is welcome

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:35 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

A google-search brought up this: http://www.metalmonkeyexotics.com/blog/?page_id=333 and this: http://www.sapphiretigress.com/softfurs.htm

Also, check out their "Informational Sources" down near the bottom. Beyond that, I personally, do not have any information to share.

That's horrible, ditching them in the garbage!

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 09-13-2010 at 05:39 PM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

ASF's are the newest snake food, they are prolific breeders, the snakes love them, etc. Unfortunately most natal rats bite savagely and are mostly unhandleable. I took in a rescue girl and she is sweet as can be though. She was introduced to an old rescue mouse and they now live happily with 3 other mice ladies. Natals usually bond really well with mice companions.

This was back in july and she hadn't quite reached her full growth

Mini now

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 07:46 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

how can someone just DISCARD their pet like that? just put them in the bin?
That's horrendous!!
Thank you thank you thank you for taking them in.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

there cute only one seems to bite, its the one with half tail , but the other two are very handlable.

~The purity of a person's heart can be quickly measured by how they regard animals ~

By Anonymous
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilspaz68 View Post
ASF's are the newest snake food, they are prolific breeders, the snakes love them, etc. Unfortunately most natal rats bite savagely and are mostly unhandleable. I took in a rescue girl and she is sweet as can be though. She was introduced to an old rescue mouse and they now live happily with 3 other mice ladies. Natals usually bond really well with mice companions.

This was back in july and she hadn't quite reached her full growth

Mini now
totally look like the first pic with the brown and white with the big eyes....

By Anonymous
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

People are nasty and cruel, I just never get used to how monstrous they can be to animals...thank you SO much for being so kind and taking in these rats. The rats thank you too, I am sure! As far as a good size cage for them, I know there is a way you can find a cage size calculator online where you type in how many rats you have and it brings up the proper dimensions for your rats, but I don't remember where I saw it. You can always Google and type in 'How big a cage for my three rats?" and I am sure you will find lots of information. We have two rats and we use the Super Pet Exotics cage, which is big enough for 4 adult rats, so my 2 boys have plenty of room. Good luck with your ratties and bless you for taking them in!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
People are nasty and cruel, I just never get used to how monstrous they can be to animals...thank you SO much for being so kind and taking in these rats. The rats thank you too, I am sure! As far as a good size cage for them, I know there is a way you can find a cage size calculator online where you type in how many rats you have and it brings up the proper dimensions for your rats, but I don't remember where I saw it. You can always Google and type in 'How big a cage for my three rats?" and I am sure you will find lots of information. We have two rats and we use the Super Pet Exotics cage, which is big enough for 4 adult rats, so my 2 boys have plenty of room. Good luck with your ratties and bless you for taking them in!
are u talking about rat calculator ? sooo heres my question do they become the size of a normal rat? or do they stay small like hamsters.

By Anonymous
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ahh, good question! I forgot about the fact that these are not standard size rats. Anyone else here on the forum know a good answer for calculating cage size for these lil guys?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.

Tags
african soft haired rats!