Aspen Bedding - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeHale View Post
(PetSmart story)

Once I was looking for fruit flies for my mantids, before my new shipment came in and I needed a quick cheap supply of D hydei, and I called Petsmart, and I kid you not, this is how the convo went:

Me: Hi, do you have fruit flies in stock?
Customer service guy: Uh.. Do we even sell those?
Me: Yes, in the reptile section with the other live foods.
CSG: Oh, gross. Umm I don't know, lemme check. -puts on hold for 15 mins-
CSG: Okay I'm back. Yeah we've got some.
Me: Okay, do you know what species it is?
CSG: No. They look like tiny little flies. And they come in this cup thing with like foam at the top I think, and there's like this blue stuff at the bottom, I think it's fly poop.
Me: ... No, that's the medium.
CSG: I didn't see any sizes.
Me: -giggle- No, that's what they eat. It's called medium.
CSG: Okay. Well I don't know what species it is. Want me to go look?
Me: No that's- -gets put on hold- ... Oh.
CSG: Kay I'm back. It had this big D word on it. Draw-su-feel-uh or something.
Me: Yes, that's the genus. Did it say hydei or melanogaster after that?
CSG: I dunno. It didn't say. Do you need to know the company it comes from?
Me: No, that's okay.
CSG: Well it's from some company in Illinois, and it's got one of them 1-800 numbers, too. Do you need that?
Me: ... Are you retarded? -hangs up-

Probably a little more rude than necessary, but he got SOOO ANNOYING SOOO FAST.
They make an easy job seem hard, LOL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:12 AM
RAT ADDICT

Hahaha...those phone calls/stories are hilarious,but seem annoying at the same time...

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #18 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Rat-Taz-Tic-ly Addicted

I have been there before. I called TS( Tracker Suply in Dubois about bedding aspen and care freash ( I use that for my mice mostly for me it works better)
I called before I went and I think I talked to the same lady that tweedle did becuase she didnt have a clue but she had me talk to another lady insted. The other lady laughted along with me and siad shure we have some and quoted me a price.
Pet shops are stupid at times heres a phone call
ring ring ring ring ring (pick up peoples) ring ring
PS hello welcome to the pet place how can we help you?
ME how much is you aspen beding and care fresh or critter care the big bags?
PS hold on
waiting ..............................hearing brids chirping and people takling........
still waiting..................
PS What was it agian you wanted
ME APSEN and CAR FREASH how much is the big bags
PS ok hold on
ME waiting........................................
PS do you mean pine? we have that for 15. and the
ME NO ASPEN not PINE
PS hold on
ME get me some one eals please
PS hold on....... hello can I help you?
ME How much is your ASPEN beding and CARE FREASH
PS we have a sale on...........(CLICK)
I hung up I could not deal with it any more. It made me luaght but ticked me off to a point.
But yes Aspen and critter care and care freasha and shreded paper is ok

I think you are in the wrong place buddy.
You are the weirdest cat I ever seen.
Now matter how big or small wierd or normal we or animals may be we can learn to love and get along and love is what makes it all worth wild. Becuase Beautie is in the eye of the beholder an no one is ugly or more prettyer then anything eals we are all equal. There are some ugly people and things but that is becuase man kind makes them this way do to thier actions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Pellets? Poor babies! There used to be a PSP where I lived in Phoenixville, they used care fresh bedding, but only because it didn't clog up the shop vac hose they used to clean the cages. I often wondered if they'd ever sucked anything live into the vac, because I never saw them remove the animals before cleaning the cage...well except for one really hateful, evil Ferret.

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #20 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
Pellets? Poor babies! There used to be a PSP where I lived in Phoenixville, they used care fresh bedding, but only because it didn't clog up the shop vac hose they used to clean the cages. I often wondered if they'd ever sucked anything live into the vac, because I never saw them remove the animals before cleaning the cage...well except for one really hateful, evil Ferret.
How are pet stores not shut down for animal cruelty? And yes, pellets. I feel so bad for them I wish I could take them all and I would too if I had my rodent room setup which I have to wait to spring for

post #21 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
is a little "special"

The PSP by me is actually the ONLY good petstore in the area... They use aspen and Yesterdays News for all their furry animals, and they actually use tile and repticarpet for their beardie and leo. They only keep one per cage, and they are decent sized cages too. Theyre the only place Ill buy crickets from.
And I bought a 50lb bag (thats a hec of a lot of aspen!) of aspen from FleetFarm for $5 in the horse section. FleetFarm is amazing LOL! I can even get waxies for Wink there too

Ive heard some pretty strange things from petstores LOL. A couple years ago, I called Petco to aske them something about my african clawed frog... They didnt even know what an ACF was! Petland told me that when bearded dragons are impacted, it means that they got something under their skin (WFT?). And once I was at this aweful pet store at the mall called Pet Ranch, and I saw a parasitic worm thing coming out of the back of one of the gold fish... I showed it to the employee, and she said it was pooping! Since when do fish crap out of their backs?!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #22 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We had a pet store in the mall here, I bought my iguana there and one he was so mean I couldn't do a thing with him and he ended up dying about 3 weeks later of intestinal parasites. They always had dead puppies in the display boxes and I heard of people buying dogs from there and they were carrying parvo and distemper.

post #23 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

the problem is that ANYONE can work at a petstore, they don't require a degree or anything. So anyone who has experience with animals can work there, but it's not because you owned dogs all your life that you necessarily know enough to give the right information.
I worked at a pet shop 2 months, I knew NOTHING about fish entering, and my superiors knew that, yet I had to help clients with their fish. I gave the info the superiors told me and sometimes I'd go home and check and they had taught me such bullsh**!
post #24 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:00 PM
is a little "special"

Im going to try to get a job at PSP once I turn 16, and Petland offered me a job too so I can work there if I dont get a job at PSP.
I would research the animals that they sell before I start though, so I can give out the right info. Ive had almost all the animals they sell though LOL!

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #25 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 06:18 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysangel View Post
How are pet stores not shut down for animal cruelty? And yes, pellets. I feel so bad for them I wish I could take them all and I would too if I had my rodent room setup which I have to wait to spring for
Thats something I will never understand.There is a chain pet store here called Pets Unlimited (I call them Death Unlimited - I have boycotted them).Well they are HORRIBLE...sick animals,dead or injured animals in the cages on display,dirty cages,my sister witnessed an employee hit a macaw (I didn't see them hit the bird,but the employees were screaming at it one time),no food or water,puppy mill pups are sold there...etc,etc.Me and my friends/family have complained and even spoke to the manager...they all don't give a ****.I even got into a shouting match with one employee who didn't want to fill up a rat water dish and when she finally did,the rats flocked to the dish obviously dehydrated.They even sold potbelly pigs for awhile,kept them in those tiny rabbit display cages...all pigs (there were 3 I believe) ended up at the SPCA.

Other people have protested them and got the SPCA involved and guess what? STILL nothing has changed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzysangel View Post
We had a pet store in the mall here, I bought my iguana there and one he was so mean I couldn't do a thing with him and he ended up dying about 3 weeks later of intestinal parasites. They always had dead puppies in the display boxes and I heard of people buying dogs from there and they were carrying parvo and distemper.
The above store I mentioned sells puppy mill pups which have illnesses and often behavior problems.My mom's friend got a pug from there and he has been on meds his whole life now (he is 4 or 5 yrs now),has several behavior and neurotic issues and allergies...he has ALOT of issues and he is also aggressive and was never fully housetrained.The last I heard my mom's friend was considering having him humanly euthanized because he is so ill and "wild" (and yes,she has brought him to a few different trainers and tried everything...he is a neurotic dog) and she cannot "deal" with him anymore.It is sad,but it is the best thing for that dog.I do not know if she went through with it or not.

I heard of other people buying pups from the store and having similar issues or the puppy dying from Parvo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
the problem is that ANYONE can work at a petstore, they don't require a degree or anything. So anyone who has experience with animals can work there, but it's not because you owned dogs all your life that you necessarily know enough to give the right information.
I worked at a pet shop 2 months, I knew NOTHING about fish entering, and my superiors knew that, yet I had to help clients with their fish. I gave the info the superiors told me and sometimes I'd go home and check and they had taught me such bullsh**!
My old friend was great with animals.She got hired at a smaller local pet store here.She was knowledgeable and would actually give people proper advice...guess what? She got fired because apparently she "knew too much" and was not bringing in enough buisness or something stupid......she has left Newfoundland since and I never seen her since.

But stores will hire anyone regardless of how much they know about animals...however it seems the GOOD people get fired (if they do not quit first...I know a few good people who ended up quitting).

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #26 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:18 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Puppy Mills!

For those not up on my cause..Puppy Mills, I despise them, I protest in front of their farms, I join in rallys to have them shut down, yes, I am a Tree Hugging Puppy Mill Protester! Here in PA we have the "great" honor of being the largest puppy mill producer in the country, why? We have the largest Amish population, and puppy mills are primarily run by the Amish. Why? It comes to Culture, the Amish much like the Native Americans run by their own set of laws, they have their own schools, and their own laws, they run on the fringe of the "English" society, running from religious persecution.

When entering Lancaster PA (the largest amish community to date in PA) there is a sign warning visitors to not purchase puppies while in the area, and a HUGE billboard that says "Welcome to Lancaster. Home of 100's of Puppy Mills"

The issue lies in cultural differences between the Amish, and the English (Us) Amish see all animals as LIVESTOCK, they are not pets, they are stock by which to make a living, much like dairy cattle, or pigs. They are given the barest minimum of care that is required by the Kennel holder in this state. Basicly, they have to have food and water available at all times, and the cages must "appear" clean. We are working to improve the laws.

Here are some articles on Puppy Mills, and one on Puppy Mill Puppy Behvior, the best way to boycott these places is to NEVER Shop in a store where they sell puppies, and make a huge scene, please by all means, call the news stations...everyone wants to save a puppy!

http://www.columbusdogconnection.com...llArticles.htm

http://www.anewstartonlife.com/puppymill.htm

Sorry, but this is a cause near and dear to my heart!

~W.C. Fields
post #27 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:19 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I couldn't work in a pet store I would go mad. Theres to much sadness there.

post #28 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:22 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh and here is a picture of that billboard!

http://www.mlar.org/our_billboards

~W.C. Fields
post #29 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

It takes a special kind of stupid to do this to an innocent animal who is never going to know what its like to be loved

post #30 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Exactly what I was saying earlier - pet stores hire employees that won't speak up about animal care and therefore jeopardize their company.

I went to this one pet store, and I looked at the rabbits. There was no sign whether they were male, or female, or a mixture. So I walked over to the employee and asked if she knew anything. She kinda lowered her head and avoided eye contact, sighed, and said she didn't know, but when they received the rabbits the manager just put them all in. So I went over and checked - they were all female, fortunately, and told her. I'm assuming who ever brought in the rabbits sexed them beforehand.

Tags
aspen, bedding, mice