Aspen Bedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Aspen Bedding

I was wondering if Aspen bedding is o.k. to use? The pet store I go to, to buy my supplies told me it's harmful, but I know a lot of people use it on here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:17 PM
RAT ADDICT

Aspen is perfectly SAFE to use.I have been using aspen for years and never had a problem.
Cedar and pine are the toxic litters.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Aspen is perfectly SAFE to use.I have been using aspen for years and never had a problem.
Cedar and pine are the toxic litters.
Thank you! I will buy it next time I go to get supplies, I have been using Carefresh and its becoming to expensive to pay $9 for a bag that only last one changing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,thats one of the reasons I do not use Carefresh...it is so darn expensive.Maybe if I had ONE rat or mouse,it would be fine...but with the amount of rodents I normally have,it is too expensive.

I can get a big bag of aspen for $10 at Wal-Mart.
Aspen,hemp,Yesterday's News...these are all safe beddings.

I wonder why the pet store employee told you aspen is not good? Let me guess,they sell pine and cedar which ARE bad...

* Lisa *

post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanillaRat View Post
Yes,thats one of the reasons I do not use Carefresh...it is so darn expensive.Maybe if I had ONE rat or mouse,it would be fine...but with the amount of rodents I normally have,it is too expensive.

I can get a big bag of aspen for $10 at Wal-Mart.
Aspen,hemp,Yesterday's News...these are all safe beddings.

I wonder why the pet store employee told you aspen is not good? Let me guess,they sell pine and cedar which ARE bad...
They did have alot of pine and cedar bedding there which I avoid like the plague, and I think the lady was just trying to get me to buy the more expensive brand

post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 05:29 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh yeah,that makes sense...pet stores always try and make more money! Well aspen is a hardwood litter and pine/cedar are softwoods...a rule is,avoid the softwood litters.Hardwoods are generally safe,unless treated with phenols or other chemicals.

* Lisa *

post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Pet stores also(no one take offense - please) in my opinion, purposely hire employees who either A.) Know nothing about pets and therefore are not a threat to the company, or B.) Do know a fair amount, but remain silent about and therefore do not present themselves as a threat to the company.

Aspen is completely safe, though. I've used it - don't really like the smell all that much(can't stand the smell of certain type of hay on my hands, either), but it's totally safe.
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, the girls that work at the pet store are pretty useless, they no nothing about animals they put male mice in with the females and the males fight and theres always dead mice that why I dont buy my animals there just the supplies

post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Have you considered farm stores? I mean, sometimes it's a needle in a haystack if the farm stores around you even carry what you need - but a lot of the time you can get pet food and pet supplies at farm stores cheaper than you can at actual pet stores.
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

The Tractor Supply Store in my area (I've had issues with their employees!) Sells Kiln Dried Aspen Bedding for $10, they usually have it on hand, some people use it for their horses (or so I've heard)

Here is a slightly off topic reason why I have issues with the TSC (Tractor Supply Center) I called them to see if they had the bedding I needed in-store stock (the other one in the area did not)

*ring ring*
TSC-Wer're having a Great Day here at Tractor Supply what can I help you find today?
Me- Hello Ma'am, I was calling to see if you have any of the large Squeeze packs of Aspen Bedding in stock?
TSC- We don't sell blankets and sheets here, are you calling the right number ma'am?
Me-.....silence....Uhmmm *suppressed laughter* yeah, bedding, small animal bedding, wood chips for the bottom of the cage....Aspen.....
TSC- Oh! Yes, we have some but I don't know if it's Aspen Brand or not
Me- *suppressed laughter* Uhmmm Aspen is a TYPE of wood, not a brand name
TSC- Well, we do have some, it's wood, but I can't tell whats in the bag lady just by looking at it, you have to come look!
Me-....silence......silence.....
TSC-Ma'am, are you still there?
Me- Yes, I'm still here, is there someone else there I can talk to?
TSC- Yeah, do you want to talk to them?
Me- Yes please *giggle*
TTC-Should I go get Dave then?
Me-*outright laughter* If that's who I have to talk to, yes, could you please put him on the line?
TSC- Hello..This is Dave....(then I got the answers I needed)

So probably best to just go in and look!

And where in MI are you (just curious I grew up in Temperance MI)?

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
The Tractor Supply Store in my area (I've had issues with their employees!) Sells Kiln Dried Aspen Bedding for $10, they usually have it on hand, some people use it for their horses (or so I've heard)

Here is a slightly off topic reason why I have issues with the TSC (Tractor Supply Center) I called them to see if they had the bedding I needed in-store stock (the other one in the area did not)

*ring ring*
TSC-Wer're having a Great Day here at Tractor Supply what can I help you find today?
Me- Hello Ma'am, I was calling to see if you have any of the large Squeeze packs of Aspen Bedding in stock?
TSC- We don't sell blankets and sheets here, are you calling the right number ma'am?
Me-.....silence....Uhmmm *suppressed laughter* yeah, bedding, small animal bedding, wood chips for the bottom of the cage....Aspen.....
TSC- Oh! Yes, we have some but I don't know if it's Aspen Brand or not
Me- *suppressed laughter* Uhmmm Aspen is a TYPE of wood, not a brand name
TSC- Well, we do have some, it's wood, but I can't tell whats in the bag lady just by looking at it, you have to come look!
Me-....silence......silence.....
TSC-Ma'am, are you still there?
Me- Yes, I'm still here, is there someone else there I can talk to?
TSC- Yeah, do you want to talk to them?
Me- Yes please *giggle*
TTC-Should I go get Dave then?
Me-*outright laughter* If that's who I have to talk to, yes, could you please put him on the line?
TSC- Hello..This is Dave....(then I got the answers I needed)

So probably best to just go in and look!

And where in MI are you (just curious I grew up in Temperance MI)?
Wow, I impressed. You lasted longer then I would have LOL. Thats about how the lady in Pets Supplies Plus was.
I am just outside Jackson, MI

post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 11:32 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yeah, I would have hung up long before if it wasn't so amusing!

Ahh Ted Negent Twon, thats a nice area (or used to be I haven't been there in a while, so I hope it still is) was born in Toledo, grew up my whole life in Temperance, just across the state line (Ohio) small town. Graduated from Bedford Schools (their mascot is a Jackass, litterally!)

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 12:10 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

There's a couple dumb employees at the Pet Supplies Plus near us. I told them the cedar they used in their cages weren't good for the animals, and she said it was the only type of bedding to keep the mites away - *sighs*
post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 AM
Playful Pup

(PetSmart story)

Once I was looking for fruit flies for my mantids, before my new shipment came in and I needed a quick cheap supply of D hydei, and I called Petsmart, and I kid you not, this is how the convo went:

Me: Hi, do you have fruit flies in stock?
Customer service guy: Uh.. Do we even sell those?
Me: Yes, in the reptile section with the other live foods.
CSG: Oh, gross. Umm I don't know, lemme check. -puts on hold for 15 mins-
CSG: Okay I'm back. Yeah we've got some.
Me: Okay, do you know what species it is?
CSG: No. They look like tiny little flies. And they come in this cup thing with like foam at the top I think, and there's like this blue stuff at the bottom, I think it's fly poop.
Me: ... No, that's the medium.
CSG: I didn't see any sizes.
Me: -giggle- No, that's what they eat. It's called medium.
CSG: Okay. Well I don't know what species it is. Want me to go look?
Me: No that's- -gets put on hold- ... Oh.
CSG: Kay I'm back. It had this big D word on it. Draw-su-feel-uh or something.
Me: Yes, that's the genus. Did it say hydei or melanogaster after that?
CSG: I dunno. It didn't say. Do you need to know the company it comes from?
Me: No, that's okay.
CSG: Well it's from some company in Illinois, and it's got one of them 1-800 numbers, too. Do you need that?
Me: ... Are you retarded? -hangs up-

Probably a little more rude than necessary, but he got SOOO ANNOYING SOOO FAST.

x 2 (Lady and Bug)

x 2 (Scooter and Tinkerbell)

x 12 (praying mantises, no smilie for it)
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
There's a couple dumb employees at the Pet Supplies Plus near us. I told them the cedar they used in their cages weren't good for the animals, and she said it was the only type of bedding to keep the mites away - *sighs*
PSP workers seem to lack the brain cells to function at times. There are other ways to keep mites away they are just to lazy to do them, that and if they would get their mice from clean breeders. The PSP near me uses the pellets so the mice have to use each other for bed to be comfortable.

Tags
aspen, bedding, mice