Ava (rat) weight loss :( - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-06-2013, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ava (rat) weight loss :(

Ava has a URI currently and has lost a lot of weight. I have tried her medicine she doesn't seem to be getting any better. I have tried also giving her fatty foods to gain back the weight and no progress. I am not sure what more to do. I bought nutra cal which many people mentioned to use to up her calorie intaje....is that an okay idea?

any suggestions welcome. I dont want to lose her, she just turned a year old.

Please help!

My animals are my babies:
Cats: Abegale, Figaro, Chud and Adalynn
Ferrets: Panda & Fox
Mice: Nakotah, Raina and Esme (all white)
Rats: Ava (white&gray) and Isabel *new addition* Opal and Zuri (part siamese)
My Parents Cats (I love them like they are my own): Cutie, Grey, Precious, Milo, Belindo (aka Billy), Oreo, Pepper, Koda and Fluffers

Rest in Peace all my babies I miss you dearly:
Mice: Sable (March 2013), Piper (March 2012), Kayleigh (Dec 31, 2011), Eleanor, Analeghsia, Chloe and Zoey.
My Kitties I grew up with: Babs, Gonzo. Moon and Angel
My kitties who never came back home: Peach and Buster
I miss you all, you will forever hold a place in my Heart <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 06:47 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerclara1987 View Post
Ava has a URI currently and has lost a lot of weight. I have tried her medicine she doesn't seem to be getting any better. I have tried also giving her fatty foods to gain back the weight and no progress. I am not sure what more to do. I bought nutra cal which many people mentioned to use to up her calorie intaje....is that an okay idea?

any suggestions welcome. I dont want to lose her, she just turned a year old.

Please help!
What antibiotics are you giving her? Losing weight means lack of appetite or she is using too many calories just breathing. Can you post a video of her so we can see how she is acting?

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-07-2013, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

she was taking TZM (i believe was what it was called), but she had no progress. and is now on Baytril. My vet wanted to try the TZM first, then move on to baytril if needed. i can try to get a video of her tomorrow, if my horrible lighting will allow for it.
she used to be a decent weight, maybe even slightly heavier than an average small rat, while she still looks decent, she doesn't feel it to me. I will try my best to get that video tomorrow.

My Parents Cats (I love them like they are my own): Cutie, Grey, Precious, Milo, Belindo (aka Billy), Oreo, Pepper, Koda and Fluffers

Mice: Sable (March 2013), Piper (March 2012), Kayleigh (Dec 31, 2011), Eleanor, Analeghsia, Chloe and Zoey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 06:34 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerclara1987 View Post
she was taking TZM (i believe was what it was called), but she had no progress. and is now on Baytril. My vet wanted to try the TZM first, then move on to baytril if needed. i can try to get a video of her tomorrow, if my horrible lighting will allow for it.
she used to be a decent weight, maybe even slightly heavier than an average small rat, while she still looks decent, she doesn't feel it to me. I will try my best to get that video tomorrow.
TMZ or Septra or Bactrim is not a good one for respiratory issues and it makes me want to beat my head against a wall when vets prescribe it. Its not effective against myco and the majority of respiratory issues ARE myco-related. How long has she been on the baytril? If its been 5 days or more than you need to ask for another antibiotic as she will need a combo of meds not a single to help her especially if she's losing weight consistently. I suggest doxycycline, zithromax or even clavamox can help.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Baytril

She has been on the baytril for about 4 days and had the TMZ for the 5 days prior. There was a break in between the TMZ and Baytril but only a few days. Ava usually fights me to even take the Baytril (but hated the TMZ way more!). I have battle scars on my arms, I have tried mixing it with her favorite treats and other items and she fights me so bad. I finally got her to take it when I mixed it in with a freshly mashed Banana and blended it into a baby cream of wheat cereal. She has been taking it just fighting it bad, it is banana flavored. I am sorry I forgot to mention she is also taking a gel once a day called Bene Bac Pet Gel.

Last time Isabel had a URi she took baytril and Bene Bac and got better within a week. But poor Ava just isn't bouncing back.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-08-2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

well i did have a video recorded but it wont let me upload anything. i will try again after i get out of work tomorrow. i also had to make a very short video in order to send it from my phone to my email. but it is enough for you guys to hear how she sounds

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-09-2013, 07:08 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

The benebac has to be given 2 hours outside of any antibiotics...its a probiotic and if given too soon will reduce the efficacy of the antibiotic. If she's losing weight, she's too sick for only baytril to work...its combo time. Give the baytril a couple more days then take her back in and insist on a combo of meds.

I did a terrible quick video when a friend was over showing how I medicate my rats with a syringe...I don't know if it wil help you figure out an easier way to medicate your girl when you have to syringe it in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-_bFMkutKk

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Ava

Thank you Spaz. Ava seemed better yesterday, and actually came to me for attention, rather than me having to get her and bring her out and she wasn't wheezing. Yet today she did run up to the cage door when I opened it, but had a slight wheezing sound. I have been giving her the Baytril twice a day as told by the vet, but I honestly did not know I had to wait 2 hours to give her the Benebac. Thank you so much for letting me know that. The vet never said anything they just said..give her the Benebac once a day. so hopefully that will help. I will come back and update you in a few days. hopefully with even better news!

I do have one question though. Oxbow brand has a professional Line that is offered from the Vet, do you happen to know if rats are able to use that at all? My friend was given some for her Leopard Gecko that is under weight and not properly eating, there are three different types: Carnivore care, Critical Care and Critical Care Fine Grind (you can view it here http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/pro...il?object=1608).
It does not say rats can have it but I figured maybe one of you know for sure. if not I can always ask my vet.

Thanks tons!

<3 Summer and Ava Bean

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-12-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

oh wow that picture came out very big on here. lol sorry guys. I just wanted to let you see a picture of Ava the other night when I had her out for play time...all she wanted to do was cuddle in my comforter lol

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

No worries, the picture was not too big at all! Ava is adorable in that photo too! What a darling! She must love playing in your comforter! What ratty does not love playing in soft fabric?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Critical care is for herbivores but some rats do like it, its just not a balanced diet for them. For weight gain I use ensure and baby cereal mostly. I do have a special diet my vet ordered in and keeps in stock called Emeraid, its very expensive but its also for helping sweet little sickies and its a really balanced diet for them.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I am sorry I did not get on and give any updates, I was out of state visiting family, and of course I took my ratties with me so I could care for Ava.
Her last vet appointment showed that she had in fact lost more weight. They gave me doxycycline to use along with the baytril she was already on, and the benebac. Also they gave me one form of the Oxbow critical care, the fine grind one. I have been using Strawberry ensure and baby food since her first visit for weight gain, but she didn't really gain . once I mixed the ensure, critical care, and baby food together, she seems like she is starting to gain a little weight back. She is most definitely more active this week, I actually caught her on the wheel today! I was super excited. I can still hear her breathing though which makes me very sad.
I have to set her up with another appointment sometime next week for a recheck to see if she has gained any weight by then. I am pretty positive that she has, just by looking at her she looks a tad bit better. and she loves her "weight gain" meal time lol.
I will update you all once we go back for another vet visit.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:59 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

That is great to hear Summer! I was thrilled to hear about Ava on her wheel again...that must have been wonderful to see her doing one of her activities again!

Just know that you are doing all you can for her and being a terrific Rat Mommy/Nurse to your sweet girl.

I am looking forward to seeing Ava gain weight and get nice and chubby and feeling better!

Give her my love and some get-well kisses and keep us posted on how things go at the vet?

P.S. I am sure Ava LOVES her "fattening up" goodies you are giving her!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

So ava has gained very little weight back, but she is eating her normal food. I am still giving her some "fattening up" food to try to get the weight back on her still. She is still on her medications, and is regularly getting pedialyte and ensure I alternate, and iI mix one or the other in with her baby cereal mixture I make her. She still seems depressed and I do not know why I feel horrible. She has multiple hammocks, toys and wheels in the cage. I don't know if just being sick overall is making her extremely depressed. She does run up to the cage when I bring a treat over though. I am debating on moving her to her own cage away from Izzy, opal and zuri. But they do not seem to bother her. The most I ever see them do to her is cuddle. So I do not know if I should separate her or not. I really need to get her back to full health I have never had a rattie ill for so long

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I am sorry that Ava seems depressed, the poor girl.

Can you refresh my memory? Did she have a buddy that passed away that she is missing, or no? I am so sorry, I can't remember the details from way back.

It sounds like Ava has all the things a furry girl could want...lots of toys and hammocks to interest her and stimulate her, and sweet girlfriends who cuddle her, so we know she is not lacking for good company and a good home base with all of her neat things to play with, so....I am at a loss, unless she is just lethargic from not feeling well. I wish I could give you a magic answer.

I also wish I could speak rodentia language so I could ask Ava directly. Is she grooming herself and still using her wheel and things like that? If so, that is a great sign. If she were to stop eating, drinking, grooming, running on her wheel, etc, that would be a very big red flag, but is she still doing all of those things?

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Tags
rat, sick, uri, weight loss