Avalon--What Is He? A Chinchilla Rat? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:20 AM Thread Starter

Question Avalon--What Is He? A Chinchilla Rat?

What is he?

In the middle of a busy road I was crossing to go to the pet store on the other side, last week, was this little grey creature. I chased him to the middle divider and picked him up gingerly by the tail and dropped him into a zippered sack grocery sack I had. The pet store didn't know what he was. But the nit wit girl put her hand in the sack and got bit for her trouble. The manager, a nit wit boy, didn't know what he was either and tried to lift him out by the tail and it shed off in his hand scaring him.

I took my now injured rescue home and took this odd tail shedding trait, to a web search and came up with Chinchilla Rat.

Here is his picture.
Picture in Sig.

Is this what I have? He's about palm sized body wise 4 inches long....He had a long tail....But at the skinned off part, it either fell off or he chewed it off a couple of days later.

There was a similar colored animal inside the pet store that I thought was a chinchilla but now I'm begining to wonder if she wasn't the adult of this little one since they grow to 10 inches long and she was about that size.

Another forum thinks he's some sort of gerbil, but I have gerbils and he's nothing like them especially temper wise. He is nocturnal. And so are CR's.

So what's you're best guess.

Moderators: Please delete first post when it shows. It's not showing on the main page. Besides I put his picture in my signature for the re-do of this post. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 AM

It does look like a chinchilla....My first suggestion would be to take it to a vet to make sure it's healthy. If you find a small exotic vet they would probably have a better idea of what it is.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:36 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Do you have any other pictures?

*Missy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I agree with Renisha. It does look like a chin, but I am by no means an expert!! It's adorable though!! Again, as Renisha said, take it to a vet to make sure it's healthy and not carrying disease since it was wild.

Mandy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Happily owned by:
Baby--female calico kitty
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Mr. Squeakers--male guinea pig
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I did some research and Degus shed their tails as an antipreditory mechanism. Could it possibly be a degu?? Again, I have never had either of these animals, just basing my opinion on internet research!!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

RIP Patches. You were the sweetest hamster I've ever known. There will never be another like you.

RIP sweet little Bugsy. We didn't know you long, but we loved more than you could have known. Sleep sweet little one.

RIP little Sammy. Thanks for 2 and a half wonderful years! You had a long happy life and we miss you more than you know. Play hard, sweetie...

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 02:26 PM
Hello Earthling

I'm going to go with what you came up with- chinchilla rat.

It's not a degu or a chinchilla that's for sure.

They are not native to the USA. Check around for any exotic zoos, or keepers and see if they are missing one.

http://www.answers.com/topic/chinchilla-rat-1

Also take it to a vet to be checked out.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Adolescent Pup

IDK what he is but i think your right, he may be a chinchilla rat
Heres the wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinchilla_rat

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

I would post some more pictures, but they have that picture posting restriction here and I just joined. I have at thread up at 'Degu and Chinchilla World' about Avalon. It's has comparison pictures of a Chinchilla Rat and a Bushy Tailed Wood Rat, which is a good candidate. Here's a link to the page on it. You have to cut and paste this and add the http www stuff. You can't post links either unless you have more than 20 posts. I'm at 2 posts.

npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/mammals/mammals/woodrat.htm

I saved him on the 18th...He's quite healthy. And quite sassy too. We don't have any exotic pet vets here. Someone on the other forum suggest to take him to someone to find out for sure. We have a University here, but if he's a prohibited breed for the area, they would want to confiscate him and kill him....No Way! I don't need to know that much.

If I can get my post level up here, I'll post some more pictures.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 01:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

It kinda looks like a rat with big ears...I know for sure he is not a fancy rat or a chinchilla and definatly not a degu either.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Hehe! I'm glad there are other people on here who know what they're talking about!!! I told you I wasn't an expert! Haha!!

Avalon is a cutie, though-whatever he is!!!

Mandy

Happily owned by:
Dale-- male black lab
Coco--male hamster
Rascal--male hamster
Phineas--male guinea pig

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-29-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile

We got him figured on over on the Degu Forum. He's a Mongolian Lavender Jird....A larger subspecies of Gerbils. Here's the partial link to page 3. Like before just add the www and http part manually. You can see the discussion and more pictures.

deguworld.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=talk&thread=4230&pa ge=2

Last edited by Fleurdulion; 03-29-2009 at 12:23 PM.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 01:09 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh my! I want a chinchilla rat too! Is he she soft?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Jird Jostler

Aww, Have you taken him to the vets yet? But congrats on finding a Jird, it took me months to find a breeder with one. xxx

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.

Tags
chinchilla rat