Babies will be here soon :D - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

Talking Babies will be here soon :D

Hi! This is my first post, I have just joined

Anyways, I have 2 female mice (Sooty & Snowflake) and a few weeks ago we decided to buy a male to mate with them. Currently we know one is pregnant and we're pretty sure the other is, still waiting for a bulge.

I have 2 questions:

1. Does the baby bulge normally spring up overnight? O_o last night Sooty looked relatively normal. This morning she's freaking humongous! I was like O_O what a difference a few hours made! lol!

2. Since the babies will be here soon, I was wondering if its okay to leave both females in the cage together? Assuming Snowflake is also pregnant, just not as far along, is it okay for them to give birth around the same time and have 2 litters in one cage? will they fight or help each other care for the babies?

---------

YAY! I'm so excited!! I don't have time to post pics as I am about to start getting dressed for work, but if you want to see pics of my mice, visit the link on my profile that goes to my myspace page.

Snowflake is a white feeder with pink ears/tail & red eyes. Sooty is a dark grey feeder with pink ears/tail and black eyes. (we felt bad and wanted to rescue the feeders from certain death!) Woody, the male, came from PetSmart and he is a stripey brindle color with black, orange, and tan. I can't wait to see the babies!!

~Mandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

This is often debated on here, but it is probably best to separate them for the safety of the babies. Also give them some privacy and lots of extra protein so that they don't freak out and eat the babies.

I don't mean to jump the gun here, but it seems like this may have not been the best of plans. Do you have a plan for what to do with the babies? Are they feeder quality petstore mice? Do you realize that those frequently have any number of health and temperament issues that can be passed on genetically? I hope these babies come out okay for you, but in the future I would advise strongly against breeding any animal if you don't know a little more about the background than that.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Yeah unfortunately even after reading a bunch of mice websites when deciding if i should breed, I never found anything saying don't breed feeders, until I posted here today and on another site. So now that I know that, I will not be breeding these ladies again. =( I hope the babies are alright.

And yes, I found a bunch of people who want the babies before I decided to breed them. I wouldn't have bred them otherwise. I know alot of people with children and about 15 people have said they would take at least one baby so we're good in that department.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2008, 06:22 PM
RAT ADDICT

What is done is done.
But if you ever decide to breed in the future,do some more research!

Now in the meantime,you CAN leave the mothers together.I used to breed pet mice and would often do this.I rarely had problems.Te females will (in MOST cases) help eachother out.The only problem is,if you bred them close together then you will not know what babies belong to what mouse.

Is the male still in with the females? He should be seperated ASAP! He will not only probably eat babies,he will also get the females pregnant again within hours after they give birth! You will have a ton more babies and this is also quite stressful on the mothers.

Mice generally don't get REALLY fat and bulgy until the first few days before they give birth.

Also make sure both moms get extra protien and nutrients in their diet.Offer a little bit of cheese,egg or chicken.Even a little bit of dog/cat food is okay.Or a mealworm.If nursing mice don't get enough protien,they may eat their babies.

Good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 12:01 PM

Whats done is most certainly done. I would say also that it will be extra important to handle the babies as soon as possible. Just for a few seconds at a time. Maybe pick them up when you count or something. Nothing over exerting but just get them used to humans as soon as possible. Genetically they may not have the best health or temperament but I imagine a little extra socialization as early as possible will be a very good thing.

I guess it is well known we love breeders here for the most part just want to make sure you know what you are doing first and start with the best quality you can. Sometimes it takes experience to learn and now you know. Give them the best chance you can though. Make sure you place them with people who will take care of them. And do your best to make sure people get same sex pairs. They are very social animals and they really should have two.

There are just a few extra considerations with mice so keep that in mind. The mouse people in here will have more to say on that but mostly like Vanilla rat says and I have heard over and over. Make sure you get them extra protein.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-20-2008, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

I feel like a horrible owner now. Which sucks, because I'm obsessed with my mice and love them so much. They're spoiled rotten in every way, I just didn't realize they shouldn't be bred. *heavy sigh*

Anyway, I just wanted to know if you all think their cage is good or not. It is 20 gallon. I tried to make it roomy but with some private burrows, so they wouldn't be too stressed when they deliver in a couple of days. (The male is in his own cage now.)

(They do have a water bottle, it had just been washed and was drying on a towel when I snapped the pic.)

The ladies are in the tank. But they are in their burrows. Maybe later I can get a better pic with Snowflake & Sooty in it. After I took this pic, I tried to take another when they came out of the burrows, but my cellphone said low battery and wouldn't take another. *shifty eyes at cellphone*

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 05:10 AM
Will It Ever Change?

nice tank!! so much room!! wowee im jealous they might like toilet paper tubes and paper towel tubes, i know my mice chew them

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 AM
RAT ADDICT

Don't feel like your a bad owner.It was a mistake and at least you learned and know better now.Just focus on the ones you got.

Nice cage.
I agree with Nat tho,add a few tubes or something.Mice LOVE tubes and tunnels.

* Lisa *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! lol I did already add some tubes last night because they looked so bored. haha

My mouse drama never ends. I have another question. I keep reading everywhere that usually females have no problems when you bring a new female into their cage....

well yesterday we went to the petstore to get more corncob bedding and happened to stop by the mouse tank. (I like to watch 10,000 mice play on the giant wheel.) Amongst the usual white & black ones, I spotted a rather unique mouse in the tank. AND it happened to be a female. She is a rather light blue/grey but her entire underside is light tan. I thought she was so adorable that she should NOT be in a tank to be food for other animals! (Really I think its mean to feed ANY little mice to other animals *sniffle*) But I was so wowed by her color that I decided to rescue her. I call her Cinders. ^^ (No, I am not going to breed her! lol)

Ahhh long story short, I slowly introduced her to my ladies, by putting her in a small wire carry-along and sitting it inside their cage so they could all sniff each other. Then after about an hour I released her. They are pretty much okay except for the occasional random outburst of squeaking. When I run into the room and look, nobody is bleeding but ONE of the 2 original mice is bullying her in a corner. I flick the side of the cage and it stops. Then other times all 3 of them will be sitting quietly in one burrow. What gives? Should I be concerned for Cinders? They've made it overnight with no blood yet, so is this just the moodiness of the 2 pregnant females or is it just usual that they are trying to assert dominance over the newbie? (This morning I saw Cinders poke her head in a burrow where Snowflake was, and snowflake bit Cinders' bum and made her leave!)

I added a wheel to the cage this morning just in case they were fighting out of sheer boredom. Didn't really seem to do much good. So I'm going to take it back out until the babies arrive. I really hate to have to make a whole new tank for Cinders, but if i need to, then I need to.

What do you all think?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of them currently. Sooty is running on the wheel, Snowflake is poking her head out of the burrow, and Cinders is huddled back in the corner of the burrow behind Snowflake.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Well FIRST off...you should of quarantimed the new mouse for 2-3 weeks,to make sure she didn't have any illness.If she was/is sick - your current mice will most likely get sick.

Second of all...you didn't do proper intros.You bought a new mouse and put her right into the cage with two existing mice and into THEIR territory and expected them to get along right away.This is not how you are supposed to introduce new animals.You should start introducing them on neutral ground.In the bathtub or on a table or somewhere else that is neutral.Introduce them this way for a few days.

The older mice are showing the newbie who is boss.If there is no blood,then it is nothing too serious.They are just establishing dominance.

* Lisa *