BABIESS! They're getting huge. rescue litter pictures - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

BABIESS! They're getting huge. rescue litter pictures

Here's the nasty evil mother, Badger.

She bites, attacks your hand, and has bitten THROUGH a thick leather glove and into a vein in my finger once. I've managed to woo her enough to keep her on my lap, even bruxed for me! However, bare skin is torn into immediately. Whether it's ears, arms, legs, or fingrs. I think she was abused but I'm not sure... as this is definitely not normal...

Back story- a boy dumped off 15+ rats, all pregnant, at a Petco.. of course they can't keep or sell them because they're not their stock, so they've been giving them away free (and any that give birth they keep in the back until the babies are weaned, then "adopted out" free...). As you can tell, most, if not all.. are probably going as feeders.. I decided to take a mother and babies, and picked the nastiest, most antisocial mother there. Probably because I'm demented (lol). Anyway, the babies are absolutely WONDERFUL, licky and sweet.. bruxing and grooming all the time. I'm just hoping the mother will come around when the babies are weaned, and more time is spent trust training her.

and people wonder why I don't trust "breeders"... I've only met two rat breeders in my life who I deemed good enough to add to the already overflowing population of pets out there

I'm keeping two definitely.. possibly three. My boyfriend's grown completely attached to the little runt who almost died, as well (had to switch babies around a lot, and help by hand feeding him with soy formula). At least they're welcome to stay with me as long as they have to until they find forever homes. They're just lucky I'm picky!

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Great job, you're doing.. Hope you have good luck finding them new homes!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 05:24 PM

They are cuties...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Newborn Pup

They sure are cute... Good luck finding them homes.... Great job!

May you always have compassion to care for all creatures, great and small...

~~Kristee~~
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 09:54 PM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

awwwwwwwwwww gorgeus mom

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Tiny Grosskisser

The babies are too cute for words!

I hope mom comes around soon for you. Something had to have happened to her for her to act the way she is.

Karen

[

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 11:12 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Awww!!! They are all precious.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 02:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They're precious!!

Stephanie

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 12:14 PM

The name badger is very fitting. She has a nice pattern to bad she is mean. The babies are cute but that is a give in.

Peace to you,

Adam
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 01:59 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

They are so adorable! And you are so sweet to take them in! I hope they all get great homes for the holidays!!!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 08:16 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Aww, how sweet. I hope you find them great homes!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-30-2004, 08:49 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

Aww, such cute witto bebbies! The mom is so gorgeous!

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 04:42 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i'm really happy about what you did! that's awesome that you took Badger because most people wouldn't have. congrats on your new rat and babies!!

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

UPDATE!! seperated the babies today (4 1/2 weeks old, had them since 1 week old!)

They're all doing wonderfully, and the mother's actually calmed down a bit. I was able to pet her without a glove, and she sniffed my fingers through the bars and DIDN'T chomp on them (so I gave her a treat, not through the bars of course)!

All but 4 have found permanent homes, with 2 as a possible, so I'll probably wind up with 4 babies in the end, which is completely fine (I was planning on keeping 4 of them and the mother, anyway). Now comes the driving (I live in MD, one home is in Kentucky! see what happens when you offer to drive? LOL! Ahh well, I've done worse trips for rescues that weren't even mine...)

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawww what lovely babies and good to hear they all look like they are going to good homes

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide