Baby mice; need some info - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2008, 10:16 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Question Baby mice; need some info

Hi everybody,

Ok, so Sat. me and my friend were walking down to the mail box and we ound three baby mice in the grass beneath the mail box, we didn't touch them b/c we didn't want the mother to abandon them or anything like that so we just left them there. That night it DOWNPOURED, it was bad, and the next morning we were gonna take my dog or a walk and we went past my mail box and heard little chirps. We looked over were the babies were the previous day and there was only one there and u could tell just by looking at it that it hadn't been fed b/c it's sides were sunken in and it skin was all loose and wrinkly on it's body. So we brought that on eto the houst put it in a box with shreeded paper towel and put a heating pad under him and a small lamp above him and we went back out to continue our walk. When we were at about the same spot near the mailbox i heard more chirps but not in the grass, the other two were in the road, and we saw them jsut as a stupid car went by and i thought for sure that they had gotten hit, but i checked and they didn't. We went over to them and they looked even worse than the first one did!

So now i only have two of them though b/c one of them died that day b/c we didn't have and formula for it and my mom sisn't get home till late that night. When she did get home we ran up to go to either petco or petsmart to get stuff for the little guys, but they were both closed so i went to walmart and picked up a thing of kitten formula (read that that was ok on the internet)

Basically what i want is to hear from anybody who has successfully raised baby mice before. I know that the chances of them living are slim, but i want to try to save them. Any Advice Please!!!

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

Good luck.It is very hard to keep young mice like that age alive.They need feedings every 2 hours or so and you need to massage their genetils to help them eliminate.This is what the mother does.Make sure they are warm.

I have never raised mice so young on my own,but this info is what I know from reading up on it.Good luck.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

yeah i am feeding them every two hours even at night (ugh so tired lol) and making sure that they go to the bathroom.

I read on a website that when feeding them not to over feed them, and that you can tell when they are full when u see a white spot on the left side of the babies tummy, has anyone else heard of this? I have kinda just been feeding them what they will eat and watching their tummies.

One of the babies is really starting to wander around and stuff, this is also the one that keeps chirping and making noises. Is it normal for it to be making noises? Thanks

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 07:04 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,that is a milkband.That shows if the babies are eating and getting milk into them.

As for noises,that is very normal.They are pretty helpless at this stage and they make noises to communicate with their mom/siblings.

* Lisa *

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 01:23 AM

Good luck with them! Are they eating well? I had to hand-raise some 1 1/2 week old babies a while back because their mother couldn't feed them all, and I had terrible luck with them. I was able to get a nursing mother from a nearby pet store whose babies had been sold for snake food, but if I hadn't been able to get her, they all would have died. As it was, only two of the five died. Still too many. I was feeding them every 1 1/2 to 2 hours and everything, they just wouldn't eat well.

I really hope yours pull through!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks. I can't believe how big they have gotten in the last 4 days. When i first got them they were just starting to turn a grayish color, now they are a dark gray and have fur on them. They are now startin gto move around quite a bit, but they keep rolling over onto their backs! I noticed today that they were starting to get little teeth in! So cute!

I was wondering, are they supposed to be a dark color on the top and still pink and furless on their tummies? Also, when can i start moving their feedings apart more, like maybe 2 1/2 hours or something? Thanks for all your help! I think i will take some pics and maybe a video of them today, i didn't want to take any pics before just in case they didn't make it.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Wow, sounds like they're doing great! Belly fur usually does grow in slower than the rest of their fur, so yes, that's normal. And with mice that color, it should be really easy to sex them once it does start to grow in via the nipple method. I think you can start moving their feedings later once they're about 2 weeks old. Don't quote me on that though, I'm not quite sure.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 02:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks! I checked just now and they do have some like peach fuz on their bellies. I think that i will start moving the feedings when i see that they are still asleep after an hour then i will gradually move it up by like a half hour or fifteen minutes. will keep u guys updated

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Will It Ever Change?

that's fantastic they're doing well! I concur with the methods advised. I did the same with six pinkies I found at work. I'm excited for you to see them grow!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

I am glad to hear they are doing well. I hand raised a few day old mouse babies when I was in high school on spring break. I can not remember if it was seven or eleven babies, since the words rhyme. I do remember that the two I wanted most, black with two white spots on their backs, did not make it. A white female, white male, brown male, and black male made it. The guy at the pet store told me I was nuts and should just buy a mouse instead. You are doing everything right though. It is hard, but it will be worth it. They came from my neighbor's mouse that had died so she got to get first pick, even though I did most of the raising. I got the two white ones. They were the tamest and sweetest mice I ever had.

I suppose they will be wild field mice, since you found them outside. Wild mice are extremely cute; they have giant heads, goggle like eyes, and little bodies. I had a female wild mouse once. She escaped after living with me for a week. She was friendly but I guess she wanted out.

I look forward to pictures and updates.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:48 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am glad things are going well.
I hope they continue to go well.

* Lisa *

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Unhappy

:ru bcry:

Both of my babies died last night It was during the night and the power went off so i didn't wake up to feed them and then when i woke up in the morning and saw them both i was sooo sad I wanted them to live so bad. Anyways, thanks for all you guys help, i don't know what i would have done without u guys.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 11:56 PM
RAT ADDICT

Awwwwwwwwwww.
*hugs*

* Lisa *

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Awww, sorry for your loss hun!
Sounds like you were doing all you could and it sounded like hard job!
I suppose it was a good experiance for you
Cheer up soon, best of luck xxxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10