Baby Mouse Help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Baby Mouse Help!

Hello! I need some help with my baby mouse, Gus. I am guessing that he is close to or maybe 3 wks old (his eyes are open and he can hear sounds). His little brother sadly passed away a couple of days ago (he appeared to have severe respiratory distress- I think it was caused by too much formula and it getting into his lungs ). I cleaned his aquarium after the little one died and Gus appears very healthy but I am concerned about his nutrition.

I have been feeding him puppy formula from a tiny syringe but he is not very interested in it most of the time. I was feeding him kitty formula but it goes bad after 72 hours and was hard to find. The puppy formula stays good for 2 wks but I am not sure that it is nutritious enough? He doesn't like eating from the syringe, and appears to prefer for me to put a tiny puddle on his food dish that he can lap up himself. I am just concerned that he will get it up his nose :/

I have started offering him dry mouse food (Nutriphase brand) and he really likes the banana pieces in it- but nothing else! I am concerned that he is not getting the nutrition that he needs since all he likes are the sweet pieces! Are there any fruits or veggies he might like to try? I gave him a tiny piece of shredded cheese and he really enjoyed munching on it.

I also provided a water bottle in his aquarium but he does not know how to use it. Should I be concerned or will he learn in time?

I think that Gus is going to make it- he is very curious and active, is quite plump and has clear eyes and a full coat. He loves being held and has completely bypassed what I have heard is called the 'flea' stage. I just want to make sure that he eats the way that he should.

All information and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I don't know if puppy formula is nutritious enough, but i think kitten formula would be better. Strawberries are really good snacks, no citrus fruits. Most like small apple chunks, broccoli, and lettuce. You should try to feed him sunflower seeds or unsalted peanuts and he might like those. If you have a cat or dog a few pieces of their food tastes good.

I think he will learn how to use it. You could try showing him by pushing the little nob with your finger. I wouldn't worry about that yet.

Hope it helps!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

When we get wild mice (i'm a wildlife rehabilitator), we feed them esbilac which is for puppies and other small animals. It's a powder so you just mix enough that you need and won't waste too much.

If their eyes are closed, they're so tiny that it's about one or 2 drops of milk every 3 hours from a seringe.

Once the mice have their eyes open, we put a dish with bread soaked in the esbilac, that way they cannot accidently drown in it if one is ill and falls over or something like that, and also helps to not get it in their nose. If they're too young to eat the bread they just suck on it. And we feed them with the syringe once a day, just in case they didn't feed on the bread.
You don't need a big piece of bread either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

this is the web page on my mom's blog about rehabilitating wild mice It's in french however so it's more for the photos!

http://kiwibonga.com/ecureuiland/?cat=17

when it comes to it being good nutrition, when we get mice that have fed from their mother, they look real good, but when we get them as pinkies they have very scruffy hair like the last photo and sometimes missing patches of hair. Probably a protein problem. Since this is VOLUNTEER work, and esbilac is good for the squirrels (which is what we have most of, about 90 per summer) we give the occasional wild mice the same thing.
They survive from that food without any problem and we get very good results, but perhaps kitten milk is better.
We don't get them that often so we still have a lot to learn!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-06-2009, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to give a little update:

Gus is now going full blast at his dry food- all of it thankfully! I've noticed he likes to go piece by piece and nibble a little bit then choose what he likes best lol.

He still hates the syringe but I think that I have found a way around that. I've been putting a very tiny amount of milk on his dish (shallow enough I don't think that he can hurt himself) and he seems to like being able to lap it up on his terms much more. He is eating very well and is very plump.

I have one other question though-- I have had a low-wattage heat bulb on for him since I got him since he was so little and I was afraid he'd get cold. Do I need to keep it set up for him? I have just been turning it on at night for the last couple of days rather than 24/7. Any suggs?

Well I guess that is all for now, any info/suggs anybody might have are very welcome. I will post up pics of him as soon as my post count hits the level where I am allowed to. Thanks!

Heather
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

if he has a full fur, he shouldn't need the heating lamp unless it's very cold in your house?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
if he has a full fur, he shouldn't need the heating lamp unless it's very cold in your house?
Ok. It usually stays between 74 and 78 degrees inside, so it isn't really very cold. And yes, he has a full coat as well (He is very fluffy )
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 11:47 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

then there's no problem, no need for the lamp
Just make sure he has a snuggly fabric thingy to sleep in so he's comfy
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-11-2009, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
then there's no problem, no need for the lamp
Just make sure he has a snuggly fabric thingy to sleep in so he's comfy
ok, will do! I will put it in his little house. Thanks!!
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Ok another quick update, and a couple of questions :

Gus is happy and healthy and seems to have shot up in size really quickly!!! He is roughly 2-2.5 inches long from head to tail now. I cannot wait til I can post pics for you all!

Right now he is in a 2.5G aquarium and I am going to go for a bigger one later today since I know that is just way too small now that he is growing! I just wanted to be sure he was going to pull thru first. Is a ten gallon a good choice? Or would a cage be better? I just do not want him to get out and hurt himself.

I also want to get him an exercise wheel and am not sure what choice would be best- any suggestions? I have seen several models in plastic and metal but want to get what is best for him.

I think that is all for now. I'm sorry for these elementary questions. I will be honest- I really did not know anything about mice prior to getting this little guy but I have absolutely fallen in love. I never like to get pets that I am not knowledgeable about but I could not help it in this case. I have been reading up on mice and their needs/ tendencies/ etc. but would also prefer to hear from people who know the little guys 1sthand. Thanks everyone for all your help, I truly appreciate it!

Heather
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:35 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Great! I am so glad that he is happy and healthy and please post pictures of him soon! I am dying to see the little trooper!

A ten gallon tank is a good choice, I definitely would not go with a cage. He could probably slip right out of the bars. When you get a cage, make sure you get a lid, they can jump very high!! Also make sure you have some kind of wooden or plastic nesting area [I don't know if you already have one of those?] where he can just go to be comfortable. And I hanging water bottle, pretty sure you have one.

For the wheels its important to not get the kind with bars across the bottom, because they can get paws and tails hurt and actually ripped off. Those are very dangerous. You can the this kind-http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753362&lmdn=Small+Pet They have grids, just make sure you get the right size not a giant one! One bad thing is that they can rust. But imo this is the best one- http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...lmdn=Small+Pet It is very loud!! But I wouldn't waste money on a 'silent' one because they aren't any better.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Sorry that one of the links didn't show, just copy and paste

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks very much! Ya I have seen that one, it does look much nicer than some others.

Right now he is sleeping in a wooden gerbil/ trundle house- it has a front entrance and then a hole in the roof he is constantly climbing thru and staring at me from I put an old sock in there for him to sleep in and he seems to like it but if you have any other suggs for better bedding I am all ears.

I do have a water bottle inside his tank but he still does not know how to use it and all my efforts to show him have failed. By what age sould he develop this skill? I am guessing he is almost 4 wks old.

Also, I posted pics in a new thread-- they are a few days old tho so current ones will be taken and posted tonight. Thanks for all your help!

Heather
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-12-2009, 02:03 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I saw your pictures!! Too cute, he looks like my first ever mousie

With his home, you can buy fluffy stuff, which is pretty much cotton balls, so those work too. The sock is probably fine though. How cozy! Also he should learn the water bottle probably pretty soon, if only he had an older brother to teach him or something But don't get him a friend because they will fight. Male mice are very social. Make sure you have lots of toys [edible couches, etc.] and play with him lots so he doesn't get bored.

Good Luck!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa