Baby Problem, Advice Welcome! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Baby Problem, Advice Welcome!

Okay our mommy's gave birth one day apart, 1 to 9 babies, 1 to 11 babies. We had them in a huge tank with a partition in the middle to separate the litters so that there would be no fighting over the babies or confusion about who is whose. The partition held well and we thought it was fine, but over one night they somehow managed to get through it (still haven't figured that one out.) We still weren't that concerned because we know all the babies have great genetics and the moms were taking turns helping out with nursing.

Today I'm a little freaked, it seems like only one mom is nursing now and the other one flat refuses. 20 is a lot of babies for one mommy. When I checked for milkbands this morning some had them and some didn't. I know Agatha is nursing 24/7, but it's hard to keep up with that many. I tried to reseparate the mommy's and I put Agnes plus 10 babies without clear milk bands in a very tiny space together. She still flat refused to sit on the babies and when we held her over them they didn't attach, so she's a no go. Now we want to know how to help Agatha, our nursing mommy, out a little and how to make sure as many of the 20 survive and thrive as possible.

At this point I am feeding Agatha big time and keeping lots of water around. Tonight on my way home from work I'm also going to pick up some kmr and a syringe. I figure I can feed once in the morning, Chris can at lunch, and then I can do two feedings at night. That way we can help Agatha supplement the ones that don't seem to be getting enough. Can anyone think of anything else I could be doing? These are great babies from great genetics and I don't want to lose a one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-29-2008, 11:43 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

When my rats had their babies, if I was worried some weren't getting enough milk, I'd pull the ones that were getting enough out of the cage for a little while to make sure the others were getting something to eat. It also gives time for them to be held. Are they first time mothers? Delilah was horrible when she first gave birth, but after a couple of days came around.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

They are 1st timers, but the first day they were both doing great. I think what happened is that after the partition came down Agatha, our resident bossy breaches, took over and stole all the babies and didn't let Agnes nurse anymore. Now Agnes helps guard them and brings Agatha food but she seems to have totally dried up. Now her nipples don't even show.

Assisting with feeding seems to help some. This morning everyone seemed a little stronger and there were fewer of them without milk bands. I will try pulling the big fat ones out for a few hours so they can nurse too though. Thanks for the advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

sounds like what you are doing is the only thing you can do right now.
Instead of a syringe, you could use a lactol handfeeding set, which you can get from this site;
http://www.ratwarehouse.com/shop_det...tem=350&cat=11
It's closed at the moment, but I think it should be open soon, keep an eye.
I think a lactol handfeeding set will help because it's more like what they would normally be latching onto and I really think it will help

Good Luck!
x

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-30-2008, 04:30 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Make sure to give mama a milk bone to chew on, or some chicken or even a scrambled egg. She needs protein.

*Missy*
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 08:33 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yes of course mommy's getting lots of protein and water, etc. Actually things are going much better. Our other mommy has started feeding again some, so now I'm only supplementing once or twice a day whenever I find a few without clear milk bands, and instead of that being half the group it's down to being 1-5 each time. They're all bigger and growing peach fuzz. I'm really pretty impressed with the efforts our we and our mommies have made. This is the end of the first week and we still have all 20!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

YAY I'm glad it's getting better and it's great new to hear that the other mummy is begining to feed, congrats && keep us updated

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 10:46 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I want pictures!

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:32 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

same here! lets see some pics of the lil guys

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Okay I'll take some pics tonight and post them. I didn't want to at first because they were just in the pink jelly bean stage and once you've seen one of those you've seen them all. They are starting to get their patterns in though so now would be a good time for first pics. We have some awesome looking babies, two perfect blazes and several great head marks, including one very odd one that looks like he has an hour glass on his head
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

hehe an hour glass! Well, he'll be gone quick! Are you keeping any?

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:44 PM

What she failed to mention up to this point is due to the impressive work luvboyrats is doing all 20 of the babies have made it through their first week. Or well Today is day 7 of the first 9 and tomorrow is day 7 of the 11 but so far so good. We are starting to see the ears too. I can't wait to see how things are going to go with these. I think we are planning on keeping 2 but it isn't definite yet I don't think.

I am Kara's husband by the way. Hello everyone.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Oh, hello LOL! Welcome to the site! Sounds like everything is going well for you, I hope you keep two, that would be nice
Did you get addicted to this site to 'eh?

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well there is one that has a painted hood just like figgy but instead of just the head star he has a full fledged blaze. I'll keep that one regardless of sex. There's also one that appears that it will be jet black with a white belly and an awesome white blaze that I'm fond of. The rest will depend on the sex. I'm going to try to restrain myself to 2-3. But the hour glass one is cute. And there's still no telling if any of them have Lecter's ruby eyes, so we'll just have to see. Man there are some great ears and markings on all of them though. They are just an awesome bunch of rats!
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laydeerodentzz View Post
Oh, hello LOL! Welcome to the site! Sounds like everything is going well for you, I hope you keep two, that would be nice
Did you get addicted to this site to 'eh?
Well I will have to say if nothing else this seems to be the best place to come for informative discussions. It seems to go something like this read something, check around the web a little, go to Paw-Talk to confirm or deny. There is so much experience here that you can get outstanding information quickly about just about anything.

I can't believe she and Agatha have managed, with very little help from me and Agnes, to keep all 20 babies alive for one whole week. I don't think we are out of the woods yet but I must say it is looking really good for these tykes. We were so sad when we lost one of the two we lost out of the others that we set out assuming the worst but shooting for the best. I must say Kara's sheer determination is impressive. I kind of hoped we would have about 15 or so in the end but these have been so strong and made it through so much they all deserve to live long enough to get good homes. With their genetics and determination and the fact that we have been counting and hand feeding daily they are going to be outstanding pets. So anyone looking for the best dumbo babies we got them. <---(Shameless plug LOL)