Baby rat help - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Izzy got out of the cage again today and when I let her play with coco and put her back she no longer wanted to be in there she is now in the far corner of the cage furthest away from the babies. Is she just wanting a break or nto wanting to look after them anymore?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Adolescent Pup

Unless you think something is really wrong its not advisable for such young pups to see a vet. Sometimes things cant be done to save a litter even by a vet. A trip like that will make her not wanna take care of them. Being that somthing was wrong with her first litter which is why she ate them. If you wanna see a vet though just be very very careful.

The older the pups get the less mommy feed them. As long as they have milk bellies then they are fine.

20 Rats
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3 Gerbils
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Well I didnt get this until today but the good news is, Izzy started feeding them again. And even tho I took them to the vet. which they are all healthy and happy nothing is wrong with them, Izzy still fed them. Mom is a little stressed out, he is guessing A. from the car ride there and 2. A new cage for her. But said she will get over that sooner then later. But the thing is, he says if I touch them mama will eat them or stop feeding them :O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 07:11 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Rats will NOT stop feeding their babies because you touch them, a lot of other rodents will, but NOT rats...your vet may think they are like other rodents.

I could pat my recent rescue mom and pull babies off of her while she was feeding, and she would just steal them back and tuck them under to feed again.

Just relax...Izzy will do the hard part, but you need to socialize those pups a little everyday. Even if they only sleep in your hands for a few minutes. You can do this while she's out with her friend.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-12-2010, 09:12 PM
Adolescent Pup

hahaha thats ridiculous, only reason a rat will eat her young is if they are dead or dieing. Hamsters will eat their young if you even look at them wrong lol. I have never had mice babies so i cant comment on them. I have had no problems with gerbils either.

20 Rats

3 Gerbils

1 Hamster

21 Fish

1 Rabbit

2 African Dwarf Frogs

5 Cats

Me, My hubby and My Zoo

post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Alright thanks

Tags
baby, questions, rats