baby wild mouse - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

baby wild mouse

Hi, I'm new to this forum. 10 days ago I found an orphaned white-footed mouse or deer mouse. It's mother had been run over. It's eyes were still closed but opened 2 days later. It's doing great and is now fully weaned. I think it's a male and I have him all set up in a 10 gal. aquarium. My problem is that while he was getting kitten milk replacer I was able to easily handle him and he loved sleeping in my hand but since he's been weaned he hides all the time and is terrified of my hands. I'm afraid I've already traumatized him by trying to handle him twice a day. Is this fear because he's in the flea stage and he will outgrow it or is it because he's a wild mouse. He's eating, drinking and growing well. I would be happy to keep him as a pet but not if he's scared all the time. What should I do? If I do release him, how old should he be? I live in Ontario, Canada and it's getting cool now so would I wait until spring. Is there hope that he will tame if I keep working with him? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hi Dawn,
There are some very knowledgeable people on this forum who I know will be able to give you some decent advice on this. Give it a day or two for people to see your post and I know you will get some good replies.

I wish I had some experience with this sort of thing, but I don't.

Still, I wanted to welcome you and let you know that your post will start getting read soon, promise! Hats off to you for trying to save a wee little one. I know you want what is best for him and you are doing all you can. I at least agree with you that it would not be good at all to let the little guy out on his own while still so young.

(I am such a pushover with little furries, I would be soooo tempted to keep him and raise him in the lap o luxury at home with me, heh heh).

Hopefully someone will be able to give you a good idea of the best way to proceed for him (or her?)

Good luck to you and to your little critter. I am sure he is just adorable too.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I found an orphan the same age a few years ago.. He was fine in my hands, but when he reached pre-adolescence my hands were suddenly terrifying. So I stopped holding him, and gave him food and cleaned his cage without moving him. If I needed him out, I let him crawl into his ball and roll around the house. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact they're wild. One generation in the hands of humans isn't nearly enough time to quell that natural fear of humans.

It's up to you if you want to release him. Personally, I never felt comfortable with the idea. I thought, his mom would have been the one to teach him how to best find food, and how to best avoid predators. I, as a human, couldn't teach him that. I didn't think my orphan stood a fighting chance back out in the wild. So I kept him.

Tags
frightened, orphan, wild mouse