Badish news - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Unhappy Badish news

Well with toto's problems i took him to the vet last night he was really good with them i wanted a different vet well... the vet says his breathing is bad and its coming from his lungs not his chest (Hes had rats for 10 years) and that only giving him chest xrays would determin this.. toto would need to be giving anesthetic for him to stay still and the vet says theres about 60 chance it would kill him and asked me what i would want to do.. i said is he suffereing and the vet said no because hes eating playing and alert so i said no i don;t want the xray. So the vet gave him an injection of stuff to clear his lungs and an antibiotic injection aswell.
The vet said because hes so far gone he might clear up or he might go downhill so when he does go down hill i will be making the decision to get him PTS .
For the xray its VERY expensive and the vet said even with the xray theres no treatment for his lungs .

Am i being a bad rat owner? should i be doing more ?

I cannot sleep at nights knowing he might need to be PTS in a few months/Weeks

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:11 AM
RAT ADDICT

I am so sorry to hear this.
Just do all that you can for him.

Just curious how much X-rays are there?
They only cost about $60-$80 for a rat here.That isn't that bad.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Its 100-140£ thats alot here its about the same for a cat or dog.

i would hate to loose him to an xray so im going to let him live his life out i just dread the day i will have to put him to sleep

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Awww, I feel so sad for you and for Toto
Do X-rays really cost that much! Yeah... that is expensive. Well, I think that as a responsible pet owner you have done everything you can do and what you think is best for your lil' Toto! I think you deserve a welldone for being soo brave aswell! .... So, do you have to get him put to sleep or is there a chance that the stuff he has been given might help?
I wish you the best of luck hun, luv ya, give Toto some extra cuddles and kisses from me xxxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 03:06 PM
Will It Ever Change?

*hugs* you just take the best care of him that you can. Nature will do the rest. Remember to keep him out of any breezes or drafts. Maybe give him boatloads of blankies

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Adolescent Pup

You are not a bad pet owner at all. You have been very responsible and have given him everything you could. I think that if he has more chance of making it through without the x-rays then it would be pointless to get them done. Also, if the vet said there is no treatment with the x-rays then all they would do is put him at risk.

Just love him. Spend time with him and make sure he is happy and comfortable. It is a very hard thing to have hanging over your head. Find comfort in knowing that you gave him a wonderful life and that he is happy with you.