Bar Spacing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bar Spacing

Hello! First I guess I should take a second to introduce myself since this is my first post.. my name is Shayna and my boyfriend's name is Liam and we'll both be coming on here (although myself a lot more, probably). We have two bunnies (mini rex and jersey woolyXmini rex) and two fancy rats and some assorted aquatic creatures. Anyways.......

Our rats have a very cute little cage, I'll upload pictures, but I was wondering if they can be in a cage that has 1" spaces between the bars? They're still juvenile so I know for now that's a no no, but the thing is I have an extra cage I used to use for my rabbits and I was thinking of moving them over when they're fully grown. It's dimensions are 20"W x 40"L x 18"H. Cocoa and Gracie (our rats) have two sisters that need a home and I kind of wanted to get them to come live with us, but that won't be possible in our current cage.

Any advice?

APPARENTLY I can't upload photos right now but when I have hit 20 posts I will be back to put some up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Hi Shayna and Liam. Welcome aboard.

The 1 inch spacing is fine for large male rats. Basically, anything they can fit their heads through, they can escape. I have a couple of large 650/700 gram boys in a 1 inch bar space cage and they do fine. I even like it because I can slip my hand through far enough to give them scritches without opening the door.

However my 350 gram juvenile boy who can slip through the bars fairly easily.

Your width and depth on the cage is overkill huge (18 x 30 is the usual minimum I've seen people recommend), but the 18 inch height? I don't know what the minimum recommended height is for a rat cage, but my instincts say it might be a bit low ceilinged for them if they're healthy ratties, since ratties love to climb. If if were my cage, I'd save it for a hospital or geriatric cage when climbing is not something to be encouraged. But I'm also practical, and if one of our more experienced members thinks is minimally doable, then hey, I'm all for making do with what you have.

If you did want to use the cage immediately for the ratties, then you could invest in some hardware cloth, wire snippers, and plastic zip ties and wrap the cage to refit it with the 1/2 inch spacing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-23-2010 at 11:07 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Wow I did that wrong and wasn't quite paying attention. It's 18"W x 40"L x 22"H. Don't know where the 20" came from... It's basically like a tall skinny typical rat cage, if you were to lay it on it's side.

Anyways if it doesn't sound like it would work it's no big deal. I don't think our girlies will get to be as big as your males but I guess we will see in time (like I said they're still "teenagers"), I was just thinking of things I could do - they are perfectly fine in their current cage if we don't plan on getting more lol.

Also curious how it's overkill - isn't bigger always better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Those are perfectly fine dimensions LOL. It was when you said 18 inches /high/ I was concerned.

And with the new dimensions you can still use it just fine, just get creative with a roll of hardware cloth. Cut the cloth to size with wire clippers, and wrap the outside with it and zip tie it into place. Here's a pic of a hardware cloth modified ferret nation: http://www.freewebs.com/crittercity/...re%20cloth.jpg

Bigger is always better. For two 2 rats, and 20"W x 40"L was a wonderfully huge footprint for them to run around in--bigger than I've seen absolutely. All I was saying was that it was an excellent size, except for the 18 inch height.

Your revised numbers are more typical of a rat cage, which makes the bar width the only problem with the second set of numbers.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.

Last edited by Storyseeker; 12-24-2010 at 07:51 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-24-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Awesome I will see what I can do with the hardware cloth.. and of course talking to the boyfriend about whether I'm allowed to get the other two girls I want. =P Thanks for the advice!

Tags
cage bars, rats, safety