baths for rats - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question baths for rats

"Veterinarian's best dry clean waterless cat bath"

is this ok for my rats. They are not uses to water yet and I dont want them to stink in the mean time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:43 PM
RAT ADDICT

Do your rats smell?

Rats rarely need baths.I don't have experience with that product,so I have no advice.I do know there are waterless shampoos for rodents on the market,but again I have never tried them.

Most rats do not like water (some do though) and bath time can be stressful for them.But I have always bathed my rats in the bath tub with warm water and puppy or kitten shampoo if I needed to bath them.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

no they do not curently stink i keep a clean home for them. Was asking more towards wanting to know for the future. I dont just want to buy something that is not safe for them. I do want to see if they do like water though got a small tote to try it out in just havent gotten the time yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by staraven View Post
no they do not curently stink i keep a clean home for them. Was asking more towards wanting to know for the future. I dont just want to buy something that is not safe for them. I do want to see if they do like water though got a small tote to try it out in just havent gotten the time yet.
Okay,it is always good to know for future.
Hopefully someone who knows that product can help.
Kitten and puppy shampoo can be used to bathe rats,so I would say that the waterless shampoo is probably safe.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 04:45 AM
Playful Pup

i tend to wash my 8 little ratties once a week when i change out the cage, 2 smallish coutainers, one for washing and one for rinseing and a hamper with a towle on for them to wait on till we go back to the home, it is a little stressful but the as time goes they seem to be getting used to it more and more except for my lil boy kaiden with no eyes who seems to have been boren without the ability to swim what so ever, all the others while not enjoyinh it overmuch, generally have a ball at the afterbath party with a
massive groom session
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 10:23 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I wash my rat in the sink once every few weeks when her fur/tail are stained with pee (unfortunately she has a lot of white and looks dirty after a while)
I use a very very gentle all natural puppy shampoo and only like a drop of it. I think just plain water is enough though, they don't get very dirty and scrubbing a bit with your hands will make it fine.
My rat HATES it, but she gets more used to it each time. She used to poo in the water and squeek, now she still looks like she hates it and tries to escape but she doesn't squeek or poo haha.
I think she likes even less the towel drying and me rubbing her with the towel!

Tags
baths, cleaning