Beginner Mouse breeder, need tips - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Exclamation Beginner Mouse breeder, need tips

I just recently decided that I want to breed mice. I have had mice in the past and I thought they made wonderful pets. So I went out to PetSmart and bought a male and a female. I then read that it was better to have two females and a male. So I went out and bought another female from a different litter. This was about 2 weeks ago and they are getting along very well. I have them in large cage with plenty of room for more than 3 of them, lots of toilet paper rolls, two wheels, two houses, water and a food dish. There is sufficent bedding with paper towel shreds for them to nest with. However I need some help from experienced mouse breeders, and figured this way I could get it. I would like to know how to house the mice after one of the females gives birth, what to feed the pregnant/lactating females, and other random facts...

if anyone has anything at all to give me pointers on please let me know!!! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Oily Chickenspew

Make sure you know the genetics of all your mice, as you dont want deformed, sick babies born....

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hello! It would be a good idea to read this sticky thread to be sure if you really want to do this..

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/f75/r...ing-24827.html

Its good you came here for help but its usually it is a good idea to do a lot or research BEFORE one takes on something like this.
Please read that link above, although its probably two late as you say you have had them for about 2 weeks now.

Lve Never Fails

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:39 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

yea that ^^^

It's not good to breed pet store mice. They could carry tumors and such so it's not a good idea to breed unless you know the generations before those mice were born. Being that they're from a pet store You can't possibly find any of that out. Petsmart gets their mice from breeding mills.

I know you're here to ask questions, and that's a good thing. You might not like this answer but if you're here to ask something about breeding then you're probably not ready. You should research further.

*Missy*
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 07:56 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

^^^^^^^^^
yeah that too.

Its never a good idea to breed for the fun of it. If an experienced breeder wants to do it to better the breed that is a different story. Once you read that link above you will have a better idea what we are trying to explain.

Quote:
When in doubt, just love the ones you have and opt not to breed.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 09:44 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Something you can do is maybe contact a mouse breeder or one in your area and talk to them about how you can get started? Also I think thier are some mouse assic. you can sign up with. However they req. a 5 generation check before you can join (uaually). My mom use to breed rats and she got started learning from her friends mom in South Africa .
Breeders can tell you a lot, What state and city do you live in? I can maybe help you locate some good breeders .

My Kids:6
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 5
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 10:28 PM
laugh often

Female mice are not suppose to breed before the age of three months and not after 9 months. For thier health please try to wait long enough before you breed if they are too young you can lose your mice. If you brought your mice from petsmart they are probably about 4 to 5 weeks but could be as yound as three weeks. If they are already together give the momma mouse kitten food mixed with regular food or a small peice of milkbone for extra protein for her babies not too much though because too much of a good thing could be bad. Plus since it sounds like their pregnant alrady you need to keep the male away from them or they can have back to back litters right away within 12 hours after giving birth females will go back into heat and will get preggers can be very stressful. Mice are pregnant for 21-28 days some people keep pregger females together while some take them out because the nanny or momma mouse 1 coulod love babies soo much they take the mommy 2's babbies. After a few days babies grow alot the 2nd mommy mouse could see that her babies are smaller than momma 1's litter and eat her litter. Or they can eat the litter because of jealousy. Now the dad can eat the litter so the mom can have his babies. Boys can be weaned 21 to 28 days. Ideal is 28 but no longer. As for bedding I used toliet paper rolls cut up, non bleached or inked paper etc. House should not be disturbed for at leat 2 days at all unless mouse knows you very well and trust you alot. When you check on babies pull mom out of cage only when she leaves the house. Put hands in bedding to smell mousey and look quick or get rid of stillborns etc. put mom back in cage babies will get cold easily!you might want to look at genetic stuff online or books..GOOD LUCK.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna

Last edited by Mousey; 05-07-2007 at 10:41 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 12:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yeah...those females are probably pregnant if you had them together.Seperate the male,because as mentioned the females can get pregnant 12-24 hours after giving birth.Thats way too stressful.

You can keep both females together and they will most likely take turns caring for ALL the babies.However sometimes this is not worked out and one female may take over all responsibility...etc.

The nursing mothers need extra proteins and nutrients in their diet.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Junior Jouster

Thanks for all the information, I live in upstate NY so if anyone knows of any breeders up here please let me know!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssgnl27
Thanks for all the information, I live in upstate NY so if anyone knows of any breeders up here please let me know!
Unfortunately mouse breeders are really rare in NY . Or at least I can't find any.

Yet I can find people with spiny mice, deer mice, etc.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:12 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Maybe instead of breeding them you can help with rescuing them.

*Missy*
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 05:22 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wonder if they read the link posted at the begining of thread
It is a really well written post about questions one should ask BEFORE they consider breeding any pet.

Adoption is a great and loving option.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I agree maybe you can look after some foster babies?? how if your set on breeding I found this link for you:

fancy little mice
newfane, NY (USA)
dutch, broken doves, sables, albino, cinnamons, and broken banded.
Will Ship at Buyers Expense.
Phone: 716-778-7453

Fancy Mouse/Mice Breeders, Show Mouse/Mice Breeders, Pet Mouse/Mice Breeders, Mousery Mouse/Mice Breeders Listings

This is Just the home page.
Fancy Mouse/Mice Breeders, Show Mouse/Mice Breeders, Pet Mouse/Mice Breeders, Mousery Mouse/Mice Breeders Listings

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2007, 11:07 AM

It sounds like you should have done a LOT more research before you decided to take this on. BEFORE you start to breed you should try to learn everything you can. Breeding is not something to be taken lightly. You are responsible for the care and well being of your breeding animals as well as all the animals you produce. Good luck, but PLEASE do a lot more research!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Playful Pup

Exclamation Spinies!

Sasami I would really like to know if you know any spiny mouse breeders anywhere near NC or that are willing to ship anywhere near me. I have one that desperately needs a friend! Thanks if you can help!

Tags
female mice, kitten food, male mice, males together, pet store, spiny mice, wonderful pets