Best cage? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-01-2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question Best cage?

I plan on getting 4 female mice soon, and I've done tons of research, But one thing im stuck on is the cage. I don't know what kind of cage to get.Heres what i've read:

Tall wire cages.
Pros: Has room for ropes, ladders, hammacks, hanging toys, and etc.
Cons: They might slip through the bars.

Tanks
Pros: Lots of floor space
Cons: No way for ropes, ladders, hammacks, hanging toys, etc.

Bin cages
Pros: Lots of floor space
Cons: No way for ropes ladders, hammacks, hanging toys, etc.

I need help on this! Im not sure what to get! Please help?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Official Loofah Tester

Hi there!

Wire cages: As long as you can get a cage w/ 1/4 inch bar spacing, you'll be fine.

I lean towards glass tanks. I kept my mice in tanks and added structures from which to hang things. It's a matter of creativity. You can get large second hand ones cheaply,usually the kind that isn't quite water tight enough for aquariums any more. They're also the easiest to clean and less likely to make a mess on the floor where beddign is kicked out. But you have to clean them frequently because of ammonia build up.

I no longer have mice, but I keep hamsters in the bins. They have been altered to allow ventilation, but I monitor them frequently for signs of chewing. Also easy to clean, and lightweight.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storyseeker View Post
Hi there!

Wire cages: As long as you can get a cage w/ 1/4 inch bar spacing, you'll be fine.

I lean towards glass tanks. I kept my mice in tanks and added structures from which to hang things. It's a matter of creativity. You can get large second hand ones cheaply,usually the kind that isn't quite water tight enough for aquariums any more. They're also the easiest to clean and less likely to make a mess on the floor where beddign is kicked out. But you have to clean them frequently because of ammonia build up.

I no longer have mice, but I keep hamsters in the bins. They have been altered to allow ventilation, but I monitor them frequently for signs of chewing. Also easy to clean, and lightweight.
Thanks so much! I have a good majority of my hamsters in bins, They seem to like the space quite alot. When i had mice in the past they were kept in tanks, But i was like 10 then so i didn't know about the toys etc. But now i do and i plan on letting them have tons and tons to play with and climb on. Im getting 4 females, I cant wait :-) I dont have a pet shop here anywhere local, its about 3 hours away and thats the only place that sells wire cages...I was considering a wire cage, But i cant find one online that says the spacing between the bars. Id be afraid i'd get something that they can get out of. I think i might try out a tank first and see how that works, If it doesn't work i'll probably go to the pet shop and look for a perfect cage :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I remember when my husband and I had our two gerbil boys (rest in peace my sweet Mick and Keith) and we used a glass tank with one of those neat wire mesh "tank toppers" that you set on the top of the tank, which doubled their living space and let them run up a ramp into their "second story" area and climb up the sides of the wire.

We also were able to hang their running wheel up there which provided much more open living space downstairs where their bedding was. That was such a great set up for small critters.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Maximus

Play Strong and be at Peace

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

You will always be with me, my sweet boys. I will see you at the Bridge.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladina View Post
I remember when my husband and I had our two gerbil boys (rest in peace my sweet Mick and Keith) and we used a glass tank with one of those neat wire mesh "tank toppers" that you set on the top of the tank, which doubled their living space and let them run up a ramp into their "second story" area and climb up the sides of the wire.

We also were able to hang their running wheel up there which provided much more open living space downstairs where their bedding was. That was such a great set up for small critters.
I plan on getting 4 mice, so i would need about a 20-30 gallon, right? Also, how would i be able to make levels in it? Im no good with DIY skills, Lol.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yes, the more room they have, the better! A 30 to 40 gallon tank sounds super! If you just have the tank without a tank topper, you would still have plenty of floor room to put in some things for climbing or making some levels.

Maybe some sort of large play hut with a solid flat roof on it and a ramp for it so the mice can either play inside the hut or run up the ramp onto the roof. I would probably guess that you could browse the online pet stores for ideas in the toy and cage accessory sections.

Even looking on online pages from pet stores under headings for guinea pigs, rats, etc, where you would find larger huts/ramps, things like that, that you could use as a nice upper area (via a large nesting box/hut) with a ramp. Just thinking of some general ideas here!

Maybe one or two of these chinchilla huts, put side by side so the mice have an upper "loft" area? Link for a picture:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753297

Or something like this? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...uctId=11979094

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

Last edited by Vladina; 10-02-2012 at 08:12 PM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Would a rat cage work? Or would the bars be spaced to far apart?
Also..Is there any websites you recomend? That sell nice Small Pet supplies & cages? Ive been looking everywhere on line and can't seem to find one : /
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 02:52 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I'm not sure if a rat cage would work or not...it could work, depending on how far apart the bars are. You would need to check the bar spacing on a rat cage and compare it to the measurements that are appropriate and safe for mice.

I tend to like Drs. Foster and Smith, an online pet supply company that has great shipping rates and a large supply of small pet supplies, toys, cages, housing accessories and things like that.

I pasted the link for their site below and you can just bring up their home page and click on the tab for small pets to look up whatever you need.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/

Sometimes I use the online PetSmart store for things as well.

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Alright Thanks so much !!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You are always welcome!

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Two more great online shops for rat supplies, accessories and the ever popular Harlan Teklad and Oxbow lab blocks that you might want to try, as they are not only trusted sites but they are smaller businesses and they help to support rat rescues, which I LOVE.

The Crafty Rat and the Rat Shop are both terrific places to buy your lab blocks and there are some fun extra goodies on the sites too. I have ordered from both of these places and they are terrific.

www.thecraftyrat.com

www.theratshop.com

Vlad

Proud Mom to Achilles
and Maximus

Wolfgang
Klausse
Mick
Keith

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-04-2012, 08:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

I used an aquarium when I had a pregnant rat. I used one of those aquarium toppers that has bars rather than being a nearly solid lid. It allows for more ventilation and for you to hang goodies all around the ceiling.

Tags
cages, home, mice