Big disapointment - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:28 PM Thread Starter

Big disapointment

Well I took Poppy to the vet and I found out that I need about $400 bucks to get it removed. I'm only 14 years old and I don't know where to get that kind of money and I don't think my parents would be persuaded to spend that much on a rat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

Oh sorry I did'nt say what it was that was gettting removed! My bad! Its a tumor.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'd call around and talk to other vets if I were you. $400 seems a bit steep for simple tumor removal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm ok its just that it cost us $50 to get her checked out and I cant really just go around ya know? I will see. Thanks.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

Just ring around and ask how much it will cost to remove a tumor from a rat. You cant leve her with it if its gonna become painful that is very irresponsible

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-22-2008, 07:31 PM
RAT ADDICT

Call around and see what other vets say.
Thats sounds pretty expensive.For tumor removal here,it is only about $200 or so.

Depending on how big the tumor is,where it is and how old the rat is...it may or may not cause pain.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 12:02 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Maybe you can make a deal with the vet and pay a little at a time or just offer to help clean up for a few weeks. A lot of vets around here are looking for house keepers and stuff like that.

*Missy*
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Ok I will call around to see what the prices are. Dont they have to examine it though to see how much it will cost? Well I will check anyway. I just wished I had alot of money! I told my mom that maybe it could be a birthday present but she said she cant afford a $400 birthday present...
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Vanilla_Rat: Depending on how big the tumor is,where it is and how old the rat is...it may or may not cause pain
She is about 1 year old. It is on her neck/ shoulder area. She seems to be moving around fine. its medium size I would say its hard to tell.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-25-2008, 09:31 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

You may try care credit. Google it and go to the website and see if any of the vets near you will take care credit. You have to be careful with it. Before you use it make sure that you find a vet that takes it and that the vet's office offers the 0 interest plan. If they do then any charge over $300 will be 0% interest and you'll have 3, 6, 9, 12, or 18 months to pay it off depending on the plan your vet offers. That way you pay nothing up front and you have very small monthly payments to make to pay it off, you may be able to do some chores around the house or something to earn that and pay back your parents.

Just be sure before they apply for it and use it that you know that your vet offers the 0% and that your charge will meet the minimum. Otherwise the interest rate can get high.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the idea luvboyrats I will look that up. I just have a feeling that my mom wont want to do something like that. *Sigh* I am way over my head but I am determined to find some way to help her. My mom makes me so frustrated, its like she dosnt want to help her at all, she says she cant afford it yet I keep offering endless ways to help, like I offered that if she pays it she can take my allowance away for as long as it takes to pay it off. If only I had a job. I was too stupid to get a work permit before school ended so now Im stuck all summer without a job. I just wish I could pay for it myself and show her that I really do care for Poppy.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well see what your vet would charge to have her fixed. I know it seems like a roundabout way to solve the problem. But a spaying may be cheaper and spaying them slows the production of the hormones that cause most tumors in females to develop and grow. That won't get rid of the tumor but it may keep others from developing and stop that one from growing fast. If it's not too big and not affecting her health and you can do something to slow the growth she could still have a normal happy life without having it removed, possibly.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

Ok thanks for the idea. I will check and see. So far she acts like its not even there. She dosn't seem to mind it at all but I still just want her to be happy and comfortable not in pain.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 10:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ive called around, and I have one vet that does it for 40 bucks..

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-28-2008, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Oh my goodness Skratikans! Do you mean they spay a rat for $40? Thats amazing. I e-mailed the same vet that I took her to, to see how much they charge for spaying. I havent gotten an answer back I will update as soon as I do. I hope its that cheap here. I do live in so cal where I think everything is more expensive lol