Birds and Rats? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Birds and Rats?

I have a cockatiel, Pierre and I was wondering if anyone has had problems having rats and birds. You have to understand that Pierre is afraid of nothing. He thinks he owns the house and freely walks on the floor and nests above one of our kitchen cabinets. What I am wondering is if a rat would put him into any danger...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

*Bump*

Please, anyone with any thoughts, I would appreciate your suggestions.

~Carolyn~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud Mom and Slave to:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Chloe

Pierre

Mario

Rufus
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 02:40 PM
Curmudgeon

Yes, it's possible that a rat could be a potential danger to a small bird such as a cockatiel. Rats do eat meat, and it's possible something bad could happen. I'm not saying it's likely, you know your animals best, but it is a possiblity.

Do you keep your bird in a cage? The reason I ask is you mention a "nest" above the kitchen cabinet.

Cockatiels are pretty small, and to allow one to be free flighted, and wander around on the floor would make me a little nervous.

I'm a big advocate of clipping birds. They don't understand windows or mirrors, could land in toilet (if someone accidently left the seat up) on a stove or skillet. Not to mention all the sharp pointy things, or sharp edges we never think about.

Of course, it's your bird, I recommend you do what you think best, I just find it safer to have more control over flying and landing.

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mygala
Yes, it's possible that a rat could be a potential danger to a small bird such as a cockatiel. Rats do eat meat, and it's possible something bad could happen. I'm not saying it's likely, you know your animals best, but it is a possiblity.

Do you keep your bird in a cage? The reason I ask is you mention a "nest" above the kitchen cabinet.

Cockatiels are pretty small, and to allow one to be free flighted, and wander around on the floor would make me a little nervous.

I'm a big advocate of clipping birds. They don't understand windows or mirrors, could land in toilet (if someone accidently left the seat up) on a stove or skillet. Not to mention all the sharp pointy things, or sharp edges we never think about.

Of course, it's your bird, I recommend you do what you think best, I just find it safer to have more control over flying and landing.

I appreciate your concern. We have had Pierre for 3.5 years. When we got him he came with clipped wings and we had a cat at the time. Once his wings grew out we left them because the cat was elderly and it would be more difficult for him to harm Pierre. At a young age Pierre ran into one window, not very hard, but since then he has not run into any others. He understands windows and has a usual flight course that he does not deviate from. He has never run into a mirror, he would much rather sit and talk to the pretty bird inside and I don't think we have any positioned in a spot where he would have the chance to accidently run into it. Toilets, my dad has us all trained lol. I don't think about it anymore, I go to the bathroom, flush, and immediately put the seat down for exactly the reason you mentioned. Yes accidents do happen, someone could forget but Pierre only goes into the bathrooms when he is sitting on someone who goes into one.

Yes, Pierre has a cage. He sleeps in it at night and he is put in there when we leave the house. But for most of the day he is allowed to free roam. (my dad works at home so he is usually here) If no one is downstairs with Pierre, he can ALWAYS be found either on his cage or up in his nest on top of the cabinet. He won't really go other places unless he is with someone.

So, he's a pretty good bird and free roam as well as unclipped wings works well with him.

Thanks for your opinion about the rat situation. I probably won't have any rats until I move out anyway but I am just doing my research to see if maybe I could have some sooner.

~Carolyn~

Proud Mom and Slave to:

Chloe

Pierre

Mario

Rufus
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 11:38 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've heard of rats killing parakeets MANY MANY times.. even so much as attacking them through their cage bars.. same with mice and hamsters. They ARE predatory animals, after all..

I did have a parakeet for many years (he died at 12) and the last couple years of his life is when I got into rats.. the cage was hanging from the ceiling though, so the rats had no chance of getting there whatsoever during out of cage time, and the rats were kept in a different room so the bird had free out of cage time at different times and in different rooms.

2 rats, 2 mini rex bunnies, 2 cats, 1 prairie dog, 4 species breeding millipedes, 23 various different species tarantulas, 2 Heteropoda davidbowie huntsman spiders, 3 Liocheles australasiae scorps, 20+ Hogna helluo wolf spiderlings, etc.

spiders are addictive... and super easy to care for!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:00 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My friend had a whole family of rats and two lovebirds. One day he came home and found that the rats had opened their cage and the love birds had flown in. Sadly, the rat ate both lovebirds.

I don't see a problem with having both as long as you take the proper procautions. Never underestimate a rodent. If it can be done they will do it.
When I had rats, they were kept in the back room beside the coat rack. My dad hung his expensive raid coat (he's a policeman) at last 1.5 feet from the rat cage and they managed to get ahold of it and eat a hole in the sleeve of his coat! My rats also learned to open their cage... They are smart little guys.

Perhaps you could close the door to the room the rats are in or put up a screen door instead.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Hm, stories like these are what I was afraid of. It doesn't sound like a good idea. I'll just wait untill I move out rather than risk it. I have already made a commitment to Pierre and changing his lifestyle isn't exactly an option. That's too bad, oh well.

~Carolyn~

Proud Mom and Slave to:

Chloe

Pierre

Mario

Rufus

Tags
cage bars, rat cage