Bitter sweet babies growing up - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Bitter sweet babies growing up

Well over the process of these babies growing and developing we've had many interesting moments.

They now have their eyes open and their little ears look more and more dumboey. We were going to keep both blazes because genetically speaking they are the most interesting, but then last night I was feeding/cleaning etc., and one of the hand full of almost identical black berk girls we have walked up on my hand and after a few minutes of play time, gave me my first ratty kiss out of this litter. Pretty remarkable for 2 weeks old I think. So needless to say she secured herself a spot on the keeper list so I guess I'll keep her and one of the blazes, which is fine because both blazes look male. I have to stop thought because at this rate I'll end up keeping all 20. I have two identical twins that are a grayish brown cocoa color with tiny white head spots and white bellies. They're precious. They stay together all the time and they are so active and curious. They are just little clowns. It's so hard not to get attached to all of them when they start developing personalities.

On a less than happy side, I ended up getting my very first genuine rat bite due to this litter. Agatha hadn't been trying to bite me before so I got a little too casual about taking the babies out from under her to count and feed. One day I had apparently taken her babies one time too many and she really let me have it. I mean she bit the fire out of me! I had to pry her jaw loose! So now my perfect record of never being bitten by a rat is broken. Oh well, at least it was for the noble cause of defending babies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Yeah this little (looks like) girl (at this point) was the first one to climb to my shoulder too. I love that. So cute and full of personality and such a nice Berk I think. I am glad we are keeping her (we think). I think this is the fun part. Now that eyes are opening and they are getting stronger now they will start the bouncing off the walls of that thing. This is going to be great. I mean we had 9 last time now we have 20 and in a huge cage. It will be chaotic but so cute. I can't wait to see how the final colors come in. We have seen how that changes a little as they get a little older. Pretty babies.

Sorry you got bit.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 04:16 PM
RAT ADDICT

Oh yay!
Baby rats are always fun.
I love them.Where are the pics???

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 12:34 AM

Fun! I would have such a hard time choosing which ones to keep lol
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 05:12 AM
Will It Ever Change?

yay babies! i'm glad you're bonding to them well. you got bit eh? lol hahah! you gotta be careful, mommas and babies are a dangerous combo in any animal!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 07:19 AM
Jird Jostler

Awww, i wanna see piccies

I'm Georgia,
I drive like a rally driver.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

They are soo cute now, I really want to post pics. But we're having camera issues again. I'm so tired of borrowing a camera every time we take baby pics and tired of camera malfunctions, etc. I think my hubby may be close to breaking down and buying me a digital camera so I can do this a little more easily.

Pictures can't convey it all anyway though. They are soo sweet. Any one of them will just cuddle up with me, chris, a stranger, whoever and groom, brux, and fall asleep. Such good babies!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 AM

ONe of them has a name now. Dora. She is quite exploratory. She won over me first, Kara second, then Kara's dad, Kara's mom and hmm i don't think she won over the dog but they didn't seem to have problems with each other so maybe. LOL. Most of them have at one time or another been bottle fed. All of them have been handled and moved around and picked up and what not. All are sweet and will settle with you. I held two of the babies for quite a while last night all cuddled up to my hand and didn't get peed on or pooed on. I don't think Kara has been that lucky but then she handles them a lot more. LOL. They are almost 3 weeks old now. Good kids. Amazing babies.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2008, 03:10 PM
Jird Jostler

Aww how cute!

I'm Georgia,
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2008, 10:07 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aww.. I'm sorry you got bitten. I've only ever been bitten once by a rat as well, and he had been abused. I hope your bite isn't too bad. Taz (the rat who bit me) got me all the way down to my nerve endings in my left first finger. You can still see the scar. They rarely bite, but when they do, they mean business.

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Jird Jostler

My very first jird Puddi, only bit me once but when she did.. owch.. it was right down to the bone =I strangley enough, i dont have a scar... wierd

I'm Georgia,