Bonding techniques? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Bonding techniques?

Hi,
Does anyone have any bonding techniques that they do with their rats?
I still having trouble with a couple of them.

Luna's doing..ok I'm still not quit sure if she likes me so I want to deepen the bond.

Logan doing a lot better she will actually come out of her cage now, but she is still skittish about us.

And Gwen will only come out to me occasionally and when she goes to my husband she completely empties herself on him, and well her being his rat, this makes him sad.

So what do you guys do to get closer to your rats and socialize them?

I just want them to be happy.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

wear a big bathrobe over my clothes, and let my Louna run around in it, and just sit with her on the couch!
Giving treats also helps!
Taking her out of the cage a lot too!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 AM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I lay on my bed with any newbies i have so that they can run all over me and get used to my smell etc and then when they are in their cage i talk to them softly and offer them treats and tit bits.....get them out as much as possible not for long periods of time but like 5-10 min bursts regularly throughout the day!

*Carla*
I
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my animals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:31 AM

Handle loads, leave them on your shoulder for a while.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 07:25 AM
Adolescent Pup

I do what Caz does - I put my dressing gown on, or some other jacket and sit down on the lounge and feed them treats when they're in the cage. I wouldn't trust my cats if I let my rats run on my bed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pita my blue female rat with Pandora, my champagne hoody.

R.I.P Pita - 11.06.2010 at the age of just over a year (a year the feb gone since I bought them, she was at least a month old when I got her)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Playful Pup

Do rats nibble at you like puppies do to investigate you?

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Despereaux:
I know that nibbling is their way of grooming you. One person I read about said if they bite hard, thinking you're food, then just squeak indignantly at them like another rat would and back slowly away-no jerky fast motions.

Anyone: What do ya'll think of the idea of putting one of my dirty shirts into their cage with them, so that my smell becomes part of their territory? Would that help? I'm also thinking of putting one of my shirts in the carry cage with them when I go to pick them up from the breeders, but I'm not sure if that would be mis-timed on my part. They'll be stressed on the way home, so would my smell in a stressful situation work against me?

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Playful Pup

yeah, the nibble was very soft.

Funny! I was thinking of putting a shirt in my cage too for my new girls. That's what you do for dogs. Especially when they are away from you for a while. It comforts them.

Tags
bonding, rats