boys or girls which r better - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question boys or girls which r better

hey my name is matt i want input on which would be better for me boy or girl rats . and if a rat can be lease trained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:10 PM
Romping Ratties

Both sexes are excellent choices, just make sure you get a same sex pair as rats are very social and you do not want any unwanted or unexpected litters. I have both bucks and does and have found both to be very personable and friendly and crave human attention. Boys do tend to be a little lazier and chubbier and much more willing to cuddle, whereas girls tend to be a little bit more on the hyper side, wanting to explore and run around more. However there are lazy girls, and hyper boys too! It all depends on the individual rat.

Rats can be leash trained however it's been my experience that most do not care for it. Their necks are pretty small and it's hard even getting a ferret harness and lead to fit one of my big guys. It's not something I recommend. Rats are very content shoulder riding though and love to hang out with me while doing my daily chores etc. They need a lot of out time, preferably at least two hours each day. If you are a very busy person (ie in school) then I would advise waiting until you have more time to devote to them. I am a stay at home mom and lucky to be able to spend time with my furries all day long. Any other questions?

Some people do say that males mark more. Personally none of my males overly mark their territory and the rat I have that pees the most is female. She will pee on everything and anyone to mark them. Males do tend to be just a tad bit stinkier though. However most of the boys I have had have done fairly well in keeping their living quarters clean.

Last edited by Romping Ratties; 05-04-2004 at 02:13 PM.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-04-2004, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ok thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2004, 12:52 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Romping ratties pretty much said it all! I personally prefer males because they're typically more relaxed which suits me. Either way you go though, you'll have great pets!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Adolescent Pup

Through the years I have met many rats that have been succesfuly leash trained. The trick is to start with a very very young rat. Once they get to a certain age they just seem to be so less tolerant of things being placed on their bodies, like leashes or hats or ratty costumes, hehe. But if you do start with a young ratty and just keep it up all the time you will have actualy no problem what so ever with the leash thing. I would use the velcro harness that they make.

It is really a personal choice as to which sex people pick. Boys are much more laid back, usually, but they can mark (and some people are just not into peepee on them, hehe) Than again girls can be just as loving, and way more active and adventurous. Let us know what you wind up picking. I agree...make sure you get a same sexed pair.

Marianne

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 05:42 PM
Romping Ratties

I tried the velcro harness and have it here and it is much too big to even fit Brownie or Meeko. Meeko is leash trained but I have lost the leash I used to have and cannot find it anywhere. It's very hard finding one that will fit and one they cannot squeeze out of. The velcro one made my Super Pet is what I have and none of my rats manage to stay in it darnet! The old one I had was a very nice black thread type one that adjusted to fit rats, rabbits, cats, etc. Too bad I lost it!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Adolescent Pup

I would be more than happy to take the velcro harness off your hands for you.

Marianne

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 10:12 AM
Romping Ratties

hehe you can have it, but I want to keep the leash. You can have the harness. I actually might have two of them but I will have to look.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks all and i willl let u know what i get

MATT SIMPSON (RATMAN)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-11-2004, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Talking the se of the rats i got (MATT)

Hi all it's me matt (ratman) i'm am getting 2 male ratsfrom total pet the ladie asured me that they get them from a certified breeder. I will let u know their names when i get them and named them ok. bye

MATT SIMPSON (RATMAN)

Tags
male rat, male rats