Boys humping each other? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Question Boys humping each other?

I have noticed today that Annie has been humping Jack quite a bit today. Every time we see him do it we pop him (not too hard though) When he does it Jack seems to make a noise like it hurts or something. They are both boys. Is this normal behavior? Do you think if we got them spayed/neutered it would stop? Is this a territorial behavior? Could it be something to do with being around a female (me) on menstrual cycle?

Britany.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud USMC Wife.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Proud mommie of 2 dogs & Some Fish.
American Bulldog : Chesty.
Chihuahua/Terrier Mix : Beethoven.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:10 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

They are probably just trying to establish dominance. How old are they? I've read that this behavior usually escalates around 2-4 months old as they are starting to assert their authority and figure out who will be the "alpha" male. If they are squeaking a lot louder than they normally would during regular play-fighting, I'd check them for any cuts or scrapes. If you see any blood, you might need to separate them. Otherwise, it should be fine.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:28 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Mounting, in the animal kingdom, is often a sign of dominance. Rabbits do it, guinea pigs do it, etc etc....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-11-2009, 09:47 PM
RAT ADDICT

This is usually done as a dominance thing and also in play.
Even two females will mount eachother.It is normal.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2009, 07:10 AM

my guys use to do it alot. sometimes the humpee would get mad and make funny mean squeeky growly noises!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I didn't want to open another thread so i figuered i'd post on this one;; I have noticed lately that they annie has been doing this ALOT. && quite frankly im tired of seeing/hearing it. Is their anything I can do about it? I mean everytime i tap on the cage, but, 5 seconds later they are going at it again.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 01:36 PM
RAT ADDICT

The only thing I can think of that will make them stop is having them neutered.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Adolescent Pup

or pt them in diff cages

Pet's name: Candy

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-07-2009, 03:33 PM
RAT ADDICT

I would not seperate them unless they were attacking eachother and causing blood and injuries.Humping is usually pretty harmless.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 09:23 AM
Adolescent Pup

dont seperate them as that might cause some stress to them both, get them nutured if you can you might find that helps alot, especially with dominance issues too! good luck!

Love Cathy and Holly

RIP Trixie snowdrop and lightning
Forever loved and miss my little chatterbox kids!
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I really don't want to seperate them. They seem to love each other when they are not humping or trying to dominate one another. They sleep together too. Also whats going on when they are it seems to me biting each other? Or are they grooming one another? Jacks doing it to annie now. It reminds me of The Jungle Book where the monkeys are eating bugs off one another.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 06:55 PM
RAT ADDICT

Yes,that sounds like grooming to me!

* Lisa *

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

they'll probably stop humping once they are adults and one of them gets the other to understand he's the boss, no?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 02:34 AM

Hmm, one will eventually become the alpha. then it should stop.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

It had stopped for a little bit;; but, then come and got on the computer and here they are at it again.

Britany.

Proud USMC Wife.