Boys together - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-26-2004, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Boys together

HI my name is Julie and i'm new to this forum. I have 4 mice 1 gerbil 1 hedgie 1 cat and lots of fishes. I have a 20 gallon tank in my basement and for christmas i asked for the stuff to set it up , anyway my mum got me a whole starter kit and it came with the tank so i have an extra tank, and i want to put mice in it , right now i have 4 female mice and i would like to get some males ( i don't want to breed just think it would be cool to have males) anyways can i house 2 males together , i know you can't with some species but i'm not sure with mice??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 12:11 PM
Playful Pup

no julie, its robyn, i have already checked it out for gerbils and mice when i had em, they will fight to the death!!!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 03:24 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

From what I've read around, it's hard but not impossible. If you have 2 males from the same litter and keep them in an estimulating environment (big cage, change things around often), then it's possible, but still highly probable that will end up fighting. I personally wouldn't risk it. Still, with a lone male mouse, you have to keep a stimulating environment cause if not, the can get depressed, cause mice are social.

Gerbils, even though they are hard to introduce, are highly social and prefer company. 2 male gerbils can be kept together no problem and in fact, females are more territorial and have a higher probability to fight, even if they are already bonded. A lone gerbil tends to get depressed, not be as active as normal, and usually get fat. Have you considered them? In a 20g you can have 3-4 males, better if you pick them very young and/or from the same litter and you can choose from different colors. 8)

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I have a gerbil, i hadn't really considered putting some into the tank, i'll have to think about it and ask my mum i only asked her so far if i could have another mouse but she probably would'nt care she dosen't mind ho wmany creatures i have as long as i take care of them !

Julie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Cat (Jasmin)
3 Mice (Chloe, Zoey, Ruby)
2 Hedgies ( Briar and Noah)
Tons of Fish (Miracle, Pete, Champion, Moe, Joe)
Snails (Snailer, and friends)
2 Goats ( Amelia and Sage)
We miss you Ebony, Erin, Gracie, Gerri Rest In Peace
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 08:17 PM
Suffers from Title Envy

i have had two males together and they fought to the death while i was gone, and one ATE the other. i herd if there from the same litter its possible
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-27-2004, 08:19 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I personally would never risk it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-28-2004, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i think what ever kind of creatures i decide to put in the tank won't be two males!

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 08:30 AM
Newborn Pup

I recently had two males housed together and I woke up to them fighting extremely bad. My youngest mouse, Pequeno, had a large cut on his back and he was bleeding very badly. I had to put my hamster into her old cage and my older mouse, Matisse, into her cage. All because of the mice fighting I had to buy the hamster a new cage. I wouldn't reccomend housing two males together. If you would want to get two, you could put up a divider in the middle of the cage so that they couldn't see or touch eachother. Or you could just give one boy a very large house!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 08:58 AM
Formerly known as Lucy_Madden

i have 2 male mices in the same cage and they never fight or something like that! i have 2 male gerbils in the same cage they never fight too

My pets:

2 yorkshires (Ankh and Amy)
4 rats (Aaron, Thor, Lee)
1 hamster (Panda)
13 Guinea piggies
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-30-2004, 12:10 PM
Adolescent Pup

My friends mouse hurt the other one pretty bad and they had to be seperated, but it may be because there was a female in there too.

*Corina's Critter World*

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i ended up getting 2 more females,they are so cute i will post pics sometime when i can get them to load!

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

Congratulations!!

Aren't they addictive? I wanted to get a girl or 2 more today, but my mom and aunt changed their plans and I couldn't... 8(

Dimaris

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-04-2005, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i know they are so addictive want more already!

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)

Tags
female mice, male mice, males together