Brand New Rat Owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Brand New Rat Owner

I'm a new rat owner as of today. I just adopted 3 female dumbo rats. I built a shelf/cabinet style cage that's 4' x 6 ' x 18". Each level is about 18" tall which may be a little too tall but I guess that means lots of hammocks and hanging levels.

The question I have is: do you give your rats box to hide in or do you make them just use the hammocks and fleece?

The reason I ask is because of of the 3 rats, one of them seems to be a little antisocial and goes in her own hideaway box to get away from the other 2. Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:42 PM
Official Loofah Tester

Um...I'm not an expert and am expecting my first rats in four weeks, but I've done a bunch of reading up in the last couple of months? From what I've read, apparently the answer is "Both or Either", depending on what you or the rats prefer. If it were me, I'd put a little of all three in there just to give them a choice. I'd also go out on a limb to say that your one little girl's hiding would be normal, esp. since this is their first day home. Give them a couple of days to settle in but watch them in case they start having more than just minor antisocial adjustment. Have they always been together or have they only just been introduced to each other? It seems like that would make a difference.

I won't make any further observations since I'd just be parroting what I've read all over the place without any real insight. I will say post pictures! I'd love to see what they look like!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks

That's sort of what I was thinking too. Give them all options and just let them choose.

I'll post some pictures as soon as I find the camera.

At least the dog has stopped crying. Although it was neat to see him and the antisocial rat nose to nose at the cage licking each other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

It is a good idea to try to have a hiding/sleeping spot for each rat in the cage. So, whether you have a box or hammocks, you'll want to try to make at least three separate areas of the cage for that purpose. One idea to consider is to cut off the legs of some old jeans, and hang that from the cage so it forms a little hanging tunnel. My rats LOVE their jean tunnel and both sleep in it at the same time! Also, fleece works great for making cheap, yet durable, hammocks. Mine also have a large plastic castle house with fleece blankets in it, and they alternate sleeping in each spot--sometimes together, and sometimes separately.

Enjoy your new rats! They're great pets!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Can't wait for pics!! Congrats!
I give my rats hammocks and I have a plastic igloo...They use the hammock more than the igloo, but I would personally give them both.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 08:01 AM
RAT ADDICT

My rats have hammocks,boxes and a plastic house.I have a very antisocial rat as well.

You just got them,so they are stressed.Give them a couple of days to get used to the smells and sounds and everything.Remember all rats have their own personalities,so your little shy one could just be a shy rat or she is just hiding because she is nervous and stressed.She should come around with time and patience.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 12:29 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

you could get a hanging cube it's a hideout and a comfy bed!
something like this:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php...ng_id=17194979
My ratty loves it! and if i don't hang it too tight, she uses the top as a hammock haha
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks

She has now moved back upstairs with the others. She is also the only one that seems to be exploring a bit. Although none of them are available for pictures. I guess I'll have to make an appointment.

I finished level 3 of the cage today and furnished it a bit more. Here are some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fully Open Cage.jpg (30.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Miss Antisocial.jpg (16.0 KB, 2 views)

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2009, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I decided to cover my ramps with polar fleece. Is this a good idea or not? Since it's so popular for the hammocks I assumed that they have traction on this. Am I wrong?

Tags
box, hammock, hide, new rat owner, rat