breeding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

breeding

I bought two new mice a couple of weeks ago, i thought that they were both girls i was not a hundred per cent sure that they were both girls but i thought that they were, well last night i was studying in my room with some friends and well we saw one of my mice humping the other one. is it possible that a girl would do that to anohter girl, or am i going to have babies?

Julie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1 Cat (Jasmin)
3 Mice (Chloe, Zoey, Ruby)
2 Hedgies ( Briar and Noah)
Tons of Fish (Miracle, Pete, Champion, Moe, Joe)
Snails (Snailer, and friends)
2 Goats ( Amelia and Sage)
We miss you Ebony, Erin, Gracie, Gerri Rest In Peace
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:24 AM
I Own an Egg Pooper

Why did you think they were both girls? Did you come to that conclusion on your own or did someone where you bought them from tell you? In either case, it is important that you seperate them if you still aren't sure, because even if they have mated, they will likely continue mating, whether one is already pregnant or not. And if she's not, then you can ensure she won't be by giving them seperate homes until you can know their sexes for sure.

If mice are old enough, it is pretty obvious, because males have testicles that are very easily seen (LOL, there is no pretty way to say that ). However, if they are young enough it is harder to tell. What I suggest you do is look under their tails...in a female, the anus and the little flap you will see further towards her belly are almost touching, while in a male, the space between is significantly larger, as this is where his testicles are (even if not visible yet).

Hope that helps, and good luck! To ensure the health and happiness of your mice, it is best to buy same-sex pairs (just to let you, and anyone else, know in the future). Where babies are due, there will no doubt be costly expenses, trips (possibly) to a vet, and even a mother who cannot handle labor.
I hope everything goes smooth with you, though! There is a chance that they really ARE two females just trying to win dominance over each other, or, sometimes, mine will sniff eachother's rears and act funny when they are in heat!

Another important question you may have to consider:
What would you do if you DID have mouse babies?

Keep us posted!

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 10:51 AM
Stinky Liverbrain

Good advice by Tare. If they are new and you are having trouble handling them, you can put them in a small transparent plastic cage (like those plastic carrier) or a transparent plastic bowl. That way, they can walk around it normally, and you can look on their undersides. Be careful when sexing, cause males can hide their testicles, misleading you to think that they are females. If you let them walk over a clear surface, like I told you, they'll probably be more relaxed, and the testicles will surely show.

Dimaris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 12:15 PM
Playful Pup

yeah, i was over at julies when it happened. they still are pretty young, she got them from the pet store a few weeks back. the bad thing is, teh one that was being humped, is fatter than last time i saw them. if she had mice, she would keep some, or give some away to me, and her other friends who are responsible pet owners(i already called on two girsl)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 04:03 PM
I Own an Egg Pooper

I am glad you will be keeping them instead of giving them to a pet store or someone irresponsible. Just know that if she is pregnant, she can get pregnant again the same day after she has her babies!

And I suggest you guys do a lot of research on the subject just to be well prepared for the arrival (if there is one!)

-Tare

"Heaven goes by favour. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."

Proud mom to Halle (dog), Sugar (cat), Tiffany (beta fish), Mango (molly fish), and Macy, Paris, Tessa, & Ruthie (mice).
RIP Kiska... the greatest...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

when i bought them at the pet i asked the lady if she could try to give me 2 girls their is no gender garuntee, but we both looked and thought they were girls, but i could be wrong, if i had babies i would keep them all or give them to friends, no pets stores for me ! i would not want my babies to be snake food, i am going to look again and then think about separating, i have an extra cage even thought it is pretty small, but they seem happy together, i will need to decided soon thought...

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i have already started researching!

Julie

1 Cat (Jasmin)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:37 AM
Playful Pup

good luck with the mices julie!!! let me know when you know for sure she's pregnant!! if you need any help, just ask!

Tags
pet owner, pet store, responsible pet owner, snake food