Breeding??? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 02:27 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Breeding???

O.K. so I am not in any way putting down good reputable breeders or saying noone should ever breed. However It seems to me quite a few people over the past few months have been awfully hung up on breeding. I don't really get it. I think it's because the thought of having adorable little eepers to raise and play with and watch grow in theory sounds wonderful! Unfortunatley in real life it is not often that easy or enjoyable. First and foremost the ONLY reason to even consider breeding is to further and or improve an exceptional line. That's it! There are way to many homeless rats out there to consider breeding just for pretty colors or well just cause. Not to mention it takes years of research and an expert knowlegde of genes to succesfully breed. I personally do not breed because really all that stuff is beyond me! Here's an example do you have any idea what a, aa, C ch, PP is? Well it is genetic code for a self Black color, one dose of himalayan, and black eyes. Now any idea what happens when you breed a aa, C ch, PP with aa, ch ch, pp (siamese pink eyes), what if the mother carries dumbo will there be dumbo babies? What if the siamese's grandfather had megacolon in his bloodline, is it still safe to breed? Is it ok to inbreed if both lines are exceptional but there was already an inbreeding between great grandparents? Also what about pedigrees, do you have atleast a third gen. pedigree on both the prospective parents? Bottom line is if you don't know the answers to these questions please don't breed. Also please don't think I am being mean or condescending. The truth is I don't know the answers to most of these questions and that is why I don't breed. Also if you have done the research and have two wonderful, pedigree rats free of megacolon, and feel you are ready you should always make sure you have absolute permission from the breeder or breeders who bred your rats and you should let them mentor you throughout the entire practice. Oh yes and don't let me forget $$$ You should have lots LOL. There is always a chance that something can go wrong and you may be looking at some very pricey vet bills so you should always have an emergency vet fund set up. OK last but not least here is a link to another forum I belong to it is personal breeding stories, some are good but many are not. It may help open your eyes.
Again let me say I am not completely against breeding I feel we definately need people who are breeding to better the pet rat as a whole. (Actualy this goes for ANY animal cats, dogs, mice, ect.) If you feel you are up to that then please go right ahead just PLEASE make sure you are fully prepared. Last but not least always remember that even the BEST breedings can end in heartache and you need to be prepared for that.
Well I hope I have helped to open some people's eyes (and not sounded like a jerk doing it LOL) this is just something that in my heart I feel so strongly about. I hope you can understand!

http://www.goosemoose.com/component/...t/topic,4218.0
(if this does not post as a link please cut and paste into your browser)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:36 PM

Accually you kinda did sound like a jerk. Also I have been breeding mice, and dogs forever and i did know all the awnsers to the questions you just asked about. I think you should mind your own buisiness of the people who choose to breed their pets, even if they do not know EVERYthing about it. which by the way i know everything you need to know about the dogs and the mice. Its none of your buisiness if somebody has a male and female rat and they let them mate. Its natural, animals in nature do nnot have anybody picking out who they breed with. Also if you were to have a baby would you wait 10 years so you could get all the information on the Genes between you and your partner? Didnt think so.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 PM
Will It Ever Change?

awww come now, no need to be so combative, we're allowed to offer advice and we're allowed to all have opinions

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:07 PM

and that was my opinion
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

There is really no need to start arguments.
People are free to express their opinions here,but nobody needs to sound like a jerk in doing so.I think the OP made some good points.

But I wanted to say I know some hobby breeders who have wonderful animals.They hobby breed and keep ANY young ones they can't sell or give away and their animals are well taken care of.What I mean when I say hobby breeding,is they do not nessicarily breed for a variety (siamese or whatever),but they do breed for helath/temperment and good pets.

I am only against breeding if people don't know what they are doing or if they only wanna have cute babies to raise! If someone wants to breed just to turn the babies over to a pet store...I am against that.Also the OP made good points about money.It does get expensive if you have to vet the animals,not to mention the money you spend on supplies! IF you sell any young,the money pretty much goes right back into the animal's care.You don't make a profit off of it.

I am all for responsible breeding and SOME (not all) hobby breeders.This is MY opinion.I do not think everyone should breed and I especially don't think someone should breed if they have not had rats or mice for many yrs.Breeding takes ALOT of research.

Anyway tho,if you do not agree with someone's opinion if it differs from your own,there really is no need to get all mad.Not everyone has the same opinion and in a forum,you will come across many who have different opinions!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

I know my stance may seem a little rigid but if you saw as many animals die as I do from lack of homes. I work at an aspca and I also do alot of rescue work with rats and other rodents. I have seen so much heartbreak somedays I am ready to just throw in the towel but I stay because I know I am doing everything that I can to help these guys. I have takin in more unwanted litters and pregnant mothers than you can imagine. Including an entire litter that had congenital heart defects. I spent ALOT of money trying to keep those babies alive but most faded away and died no matter what I did. One lived to nearly two years but required a 600$ surgery to get her that far in life. Watching those babies die no matter how hard I tried was gutwrenching and then losing Pyper, that was just awful. That litter came from someone who meant well, the babies were buetiful all pew rex or double rex most dumbo. However they had no ped. info or any background really past their mother, so they would have had no idea that such things ran in their bloodline. Anyway, I firmly believe everyone is entitled to their own opinion, as I am mine. So feel free to react however you see fit. I will personally never change my views after what I have seen and expierienced. My only hope is to change some of yours. And if that dosn't happen well atleast I know I tried and at the very least was able to educate some people!
Oh and actually I have two children and one on the way and it's actually quite a bit easier to research genes when your human, you just ask. Not to mention I get most of the health care for free thanks to health insurance from hubby's job. Also it turns out I'm actually pretty good at this whole child rearing thing...huh...go figure!! LOL

Last edited by SugarLovesRats; 03-18-2008 at 10:40 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:06 AM

I have probably watched just as many animals suffer as you have, i run a rescue in my back yard. Just from my own love for animals. I ussually have to bribe people with large sums of money just for them to turn their animals over to me(i want them because they are neglected and abused) I have to pay for vet bills for over 50 animals(including mice, rats, rabbits, cattle, horses, sheep, goats, cats, dogs, ducks, chickens, donkeys,doves ect.) out of my own pocket, i dont get donations. BUt you name it i got it or have had it. But i dont see a problem with breeding animals as long as you take care of them, feed them and love them, but i dont see why they would have to spend years and years on finding information when its a natural thing, so what if people just want to breed for cute little babies, as long as they are going to take care of them and find them nice loving homes so that they dont wind up in a shelter or in my living room. Nobody has all the information about breeding the animals when they first start, and thats how they learn. Your talking about how you should only breed if your experianced, but how do you think the experianced people get experianced? they all started off not knowing exactly what they were doing!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

I know how many unwanted animals are out there as well.I have done some rat rescue in the past.But I won't change my opinion either.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-19-2008, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat View Post

What I mean when I say hobby breeding,is they do not nessicarily breed for a variety (siamese or whatever),but they do breed for helath/temperment and good pets.

Not sure if I made this clear in my original post. When I say betterment of the breed, I also mean health and temperment, I didn't mean you should only breed say to further a show standard. Really IMO breeding for health and temperment is more important than breeding for variety or show standard.

Also Jessica, I do understand that everyone has to start somewhere, and the truth is no matter how informed\ educated you are things can still go wrong. I'm just saying I believe you owe it to yourself and the animals you plan to breed to be as informed as possible, and you should Always start with healthy animals from good lines, and know their history. As I said before I AM NOT against breeding as a whole. I believe their are reasons to breed. I just want to make sure people are doing it for the RIGHT reasons.

Tags
emergency vet, female rat, male rat, pet store, reputable breeder