? breeding ? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Question ? breeding ?

Don't worry. I am not just breeding for fun. I have done it before, but I have run into some problems.

After the female is pregnant you are supposed to take the male out, but the male gets mean and cranky and is biting. I am not sure what to do with him. Should you get the male neutered and keep him with friends? Or what else are my options?

If I do get my male neutered, would I have to get everyone else in his cage neutered or spayed also or just him?

If I took the male out and then after the girl had the babies put him back in would he be aggressive towards her? I had one girl, Sam, who had three litters, but is that bad? Should you only let them have one litter and then retire her? I'm sorry for all of the silly questions, I probably sound like I know nothing about mice, but really I have done this before and I have owned mice for years.

Thanks everyone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 10:54 AM

Im not too sure about mice but I can give you my opinion, correct me if im wrong anyone!

When you take a male out I think he would be cranky. Hes probably just a little unaccustomed to the new smell of his new cage and he is prolly a little ticked he cant be with his mate too.

Ive known situations where 1 male mice/rats has neutered and he is able to be in the cage with any other mouse/rat regardless if they are altered or not because he is much calmer and less hormonal to be with. I think its roughly what the mouses personality is like and what he will allow in his territory.
If he could be neutered and placed with females, he would be very happy!

Regardless of the circumstances or if they knew each other before, its important to do slow introductions all over again. This will let you know if either of them is aggressive towards one another and if they will become a close family again.

With my hamster pups, I do re-introductions with their Dad since they nearing adulthood and will soon live with him. He knows they are his pups but there is always the case where he rejects or finds them offensive.

Really, I think its all about smell.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Thanks a bunch!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 12:28 PM
RAT ADDICT

If the female has had three litters,retire her.
Constantly having babies will stress her out and put a strain on her body.

Also back to back litters is stressful,so I would continue seperating the male after breeding.How long have you been breeding?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Only about a year, but yes we did retire her after her three litters and we were going to after two litters, but then there was the surprise litter. I haven't been breeding in a while and I hope to in probably about another year, so a while. What should I do with the male after I take him out? Just leave him in his own cage?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 03:21 PM

Sounds about right. Unless you want him to breed with another female
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-18-2009, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Amateur Zookeeper

Okay sounds good

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
1 girl dog~Kusa

Tags
breeding mice, mouse