Breeding Questions - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-28-2004, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Breeding Questions

Hi, Im new to the site and cant wait to start posting! I have four rats - two female Dumbos, a standard female, and a standard male. For the past few weeks I have been thinking about breeding one of the dumbos and the standard male rat. I realize it is a very serious decision to make and therefore I am taking my time and really thinking it through. I started thinking about it when some people I know started looking for rats but couldnt find a breeder or rescue and didnt want to buy from a pet store. I also am wanting one, or possibly two males to go with the one I have, because I realize how desperately he needs company. The male is 6 months old, and the female I thought about breeding is 5 months old. Both are in perfect health. The biggest worry I have is something happening to my female. And I wonder how much of a chance there is of her dying, or her health becoming bad. When an animal has babies, does it take away from their general health or lifespan??? Also, I was wondering, if I bred the dumbo with the standard, how the babies will come out...dumbo or standard? The male is white with a brown marking just on his face and the female is brown with a white underbelly and a white flash on her face, with white feet. What color would they turn out? As far as rehoming goes, I know that wouldnt be a problem, because I already have four, possibly five people who are wanting same sex pairs. As I said, im not going to do this until ive considered everything possible. I want to make a responsible decision, either way. If somebody could answer my questions or leave comments, I would appreciate it so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Doomed to be Titleless Forever

It's hard to say what the babies will be without knowing genetics. I'm sure you would get some dumbos and standards in there, but genetics can be weird and things happen that you wouldn't expect.

The male sounds like he's a brown patched, or maybe himalayan, depending on where the brown patch is. The female sounds like a chocolate blazed berkshire, or depending on what you mean by "flash", just a chocolate berkshire.

Again, nobody can answer what color they will be without knowing their genetics. Did you get them from a pet store or breeder? If you got them from a pet store, I'm just going to go out and say don't breed them. I don't think it's right to breed any animal that comes from a pet store, as they are usually poorly bred and who knows what diseases the babies could inherit. If you got them from a breeder, try contacting the breeder. They should keep record of all the babies and should be able to tell you the genotype of your rats.

Hope that helped you some.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 05:00 PM
Stinky Liverbrain

I got a few websites for you that may help you. As Ally said, genetics are complicated and you can only predict the colors if you know their genetics. If I'm not mistaken, dumbo ears are recessive, so you'll most likely get standard ears unless your standard male carries the dumbo gene. If he does, then you'll have half and half.. but you can only know if you know their genetics. Here are the websites:

http://www.curiosityrats.com/
http://members.madasafish.com/~cj_wh...production.htm
http://www.rmca.org/Articles/breeding.htm
http://www.feycat.net/blue-velvet/breed_rats.html

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2004, 10:30 PM
Adolescent Pup

If you love your rats i would go against breeding just for friends to ave some pets, my friends rat i sold to her just had babies and had three live and four dead and mom end up dying after it all. I warned them about it and they still went ahead and bred just for others to have pets, thats the risk you take. I breed for food and don't get attached and rather sell someone some than to take a pet and breed for that purpose. That is why i am against it, sometimes moms will have complications so be prepared to lose a friend.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2004, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for your posts, ya'll were a huge help, and thanks for the links padfoot! I have decided completely against breeding the rats for very many reasons but the main one being I cant imagine putting my girl through that... and then there are they MANY other reasons why it was a bad idea. But thanks again for your posts, ya'll have helped me in making what i think is the best decision possible...not to do it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

I've just seen this post and I'm very glad you've decided not to breed. Kudos to you for being open minded and researching!

Christy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatGurl
Hi, Im new to the site and cant wait to start posting! I have four rats - two female Dumbos, a standard female, and a standard male. For the past few weeks I have been thinking about breeding one of the dumbos and the standard male rat. I realize it is a very serious decision to make and therefore I am taking my time and really thinking it through. I started thinking about it when some people I know started looking for rats but couldnt find a breeder or rescue and didnt want to buy from a pet store. I also am wanting one, or possibly two males to go with the one I have, because I realize how desperately he needs company. The male is 6 months old, and the female I thought about breeding is 5 months old. Both are in perfect health. The biggest worry I have is something happening to my female. And I wonder how much of a chance there is of her dying, or her health becoming bad. When an animal has babies, does it take away from their general health or lifespan??? Also, I was wondering, if I bred the dumbo with the standard, how the babies will come out...dumbo or standard? The male is white with a brown marking just on his face and the female is brown with a white underbelly and a white flash on her face, with white feet. What color would they turn out? As far as rehoming goes, I know that wouldnt be a problem, because I already have four, possibly five people who are wanting same sex pairs. As I said, im not going to do this until ive considered everything possible. I want to make a responsible decision, either way. If somebody could answer my questions or leave comments, I would appreciate it so much!

As far as age is concerned I would wait until the male is at least 9 to 10 months old so you can make sure that any agressive traits would already have shown before you breed him. Most breeders even prefer to wait up to a year to breed their bucks.

If you bred the standard to the dumbo ALL babies will be standard ear UNLESS the standard ear carries the dumbo gene, in which case you should have 50% dumbo and 50% standard ear.

If you do breed you must know that anytime a female gives birth there is always a chance of complications. I would suggest having a veterinarian lined up prior to her due date in case she needs a c-section. While this isn't too common it does happen and it is pretty spendy. There is also no guarantee she would survive or her pups, and if the pups did the babies would have to be fostered onto another doe or be hand fed, which is a very tedius task.

In order to know what the babies will look like you would have to know the background of your rats. Hence the reason why you should start with pedigreed rats from breeders. Anyone attempting to breed should have a basic understanding of genetics. The male sounds as if he is either a siamese of a himi, and the female a blazed berkshire. "Brown" is a pretty vague description so I couldn't tell you exactly what she was unless I saw a picture. There are many brown rats, such as agouti, mink, chocolate etc. If she is agouti, it is likely that all of the babies will be agouti if the father is agouti based himi. If he is black you should have some black and agouti, and if the mom also carries the siamese gene you should have some marked babies as well. But as I said, without knowing the history of the line you really can't say.

As far as wanting to add more rats to your household have you considered adoption? There are many wonderful rats out there who are looking for forever homes. Many are just a phone call away.

Tags
male rat, pet store