Breeding rats - All and any advice please! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation

I have been pondering the thought about breeding my rat Nicodemous, allthought I really have no clue what I'm doing, as far as I know is buy a female and let them go at it, but I know there's SO much more than that.

I'm looking for advice on any and everything to do with breeding rats.. I.E...

- How long to leave a female in the cage
- How to know when the female is actually pregnant
- Is there anything special I need for when she gives birth
- What I need to do to help mwith the babies

I'm very nervous about breeding, I had a hampster many years ago that had babies, and ate every single one of them. Then one of my cats had a litter and they all died as well. (Due to fleas) Hopefully this won't be like the last time an animal of mine had babies.

George: The Betta
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
In memory of Grmpa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 07:56 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Breeding unknown petstore rats is considered a real no-no!

You have unknown genetics, you could have some horrible health problems down the line...they could all die young with cancer, be extremely myco prone etc, etc. You may have bred high-white carriers and some of your litter could contract MC and die horrible painful deaths. You could have a pair of sweet parents and end up with highly aggressive babies. Your babies could all turn out to be all black berks since that is a dominant colour gene, and they are notoriously difficult to rehome.

The real breeders work thanklessly hard to improve the rat lines they have. They know the family backgrounds/traits of all of their rats. They will stay in contact with all their baby's adopters and if a problem crops up in a line, they will stop breeding that line. You deciding to put 2 petstore rats together is just taking all their work back to square one.

IF you decide to go ahead, you have to be prepared to keep all the babies you cannot rehome, be prepared to separate the males before 5 weeks of age so they can't impregnate the girls. You have to have a lot of money set aside for possible complications with the birth, or vet care later on. You'll need big cages just in case your girl drops a 13-16 eeper litter. I just went thru an oops litter of 13 this summer and it was exhausting. Adopters bailed on my babies, so I had to re-adopt quite a few and I still have the mom and 4 of her offspring. Be prepared for these babies to eat and eat and eat, and its up to you to make sure they get the appropriate foods for a good healthy start in life. You will need to handle the babies daily from just about Day 1 of their lives...its a lot of work in the end.

This is not an endeavour you should step into lightly. There are too many perfectly fine homeless rats out there for you to be creating more. If you want to breed properly, start reading up on genetics and get yourself a mentor amongst the breeders.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I looked and looked for a black rat when i got mine i couldnt find any around here...

i agree on the pet store rats i suppose, if you are looking to breed because you want more of the same rat that you have... i guess i would look for a breeder and get a female with simular characteristics that you like in the rat you have and be prepared to keep all of them you cant find homes for

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok, so say I do buy another female and male, there are still questions left unanswered from my post above.

And how much do the rats go for from breeders?

In memory of Grmpa

post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:00 PM
RAT ADDICT

Ummm...well since you said you don't know what your doing,I say you definatly gotta do ALOT more research!

It is not as easy as many people think,throwing male and females together.As mentioned,you must make sure you know what your doing,have money set aside for vet bills,have spare cages...etc,etc...the list goes on! And the young need alot of care,the first 5 weeks of their life is the most important! They eat alot,poop alot and are VERY curious!

Also there is pretty much NO money in breeding.Any penny you make pretty much has to go back on the care of the animals!

I am not saying DON'T breed,I am just telling you to research and see if it is something you wanna do.Make sure you know what your getting into.Also do not breed pet store rats.

Maybe find a breeder around you and go talk to them and see the rats and everything.Most breeders have mentors.I had one,but I don't breed anymore.I prefer rescues anyway!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I wish there was a breeder SOMEWHERE around where I live, but there isn't for at least 100 miles. All my rats are petstore rats.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Turkeyman, theres a rescue in Frederick.

*Missy*
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

Ah yes haha, I guess I meant a breeder then. I'd like to see how different a hand-tamed rat from birth would be like. I'd definitely adopt from Small Angels in the future, I believe.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i wish i could help i havent ever breed rats though sorry. and mine are petstore rats as well... i love them lots too.

Rat Breeding/Rat Babies
Ratz R Us, Rat Health And Care Guides - Breeding Rats

[/CENTER]

post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 03:37 AM Thread Starter

I guess I'll have to do research on the internet then... I thought someone would be able to help, apparently not.

In memory of Grmpa

post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 03:31 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkeyman
Ah yes haha, I guess I meant a breeder then. I'd like to see how different a hand-tamed rat from birth would be like. I'd definitely adopt from Small Angels in the future, I believe.
i gotten Constantine from birth, and honestly there s not a difference btw her and my once then Skrat, which i got at 4wks old..but there s a significant difference if you get baby mice from birth..they are WAY tamer

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuroticax
I guess I'll have to do research on the internet then... I thought someone would be able to help, apparently not.
why do you want to breed them in the first place though? why is it that necessary...do you know how incredibly messy 16 rats are? if no one wants them..thats a possible 16 if not even more rats that will need constant attention, proper cage space, proper cleaning, all those peed floors, why even bother to get yourself into that...and unless your talking to a breeder, research is ptless bc you re not going to witness some of the first hand experience and headaches associated with it..and what will you do if you re stuck with all these extra rats? give them away to a petstore, where they ll probably end up as snake food?

im not trying to discourage you, bc thats up to you, but honestly its not as much fun as it seems, its one thing to do it when you have experience with rats and have had them for a long time, but from the questions asked it seems that its best to just not do it, one rat is fun...20...becomes not so..

good luck with whatever you decide, keep us posted

i will hold you forever
i will stand beside you forever
keep fighting
keep breathing
hold onto me and dont let go
NEVER let go
you are my world
make it through
i pray for you

VIXEY- March 25, 1994- October 11, 2006 at 10pm
SKRAT- October 21, 2005- January 15, 2007 at 5am
BAXTER- January 30, 2007
I will love you forever, always

Next time we meet again, it will be FOREVER

post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:36 PM
Part of the Pack

why would you breed your rats when there are tons dieing in the shelter???

You dont know the genetics of the rat you have, your deffanitly not going ot know them on a petstore rat. Breeding is VERY expensive, and you shouldnt do it, since, you must not know much abount them to begin with since they are suposed to be kept in PAIRS, and you have ONE
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:49 PM
Will It Ever Change?

oh now you've done it. Rodentz is on your tail, better prep yourself!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Gee, I thought this was a friendly forum, I didn't know that asking for advice, was going to get me nothing but lectures, instead of advice.... Forget I asked.

In memory of Grmpa

Tags
baby mice, breeding pair, level cage, males together, pet rats, pet store, pet store rats, snake food, vet care, wire cage, wire cages