Bruised tail - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Exclamation Bruised tail

Well, my boys were getting rowdy tonight, and managed to climb under the sofa cushions. Russell somehow got his tail stuck momentarily between the cushion and the sofa frame, and screamed like crazy for about 3-5 seconds...

I lifted the cushions off and right away he ran to me and wanted me to put him back in his cage. He ran right into his house, and squeaked two times. I was super worried, so I lifted the house off him to get a look, and then bribed him with some peas. He finally came out into his playpen for some peas and let me pet him... but his tail is a little bruised on the very tip of it. It's pink for about half an inch, and the very very tip is a little purple. Is this something that will heal itself, or do I need to take him to a doctor? He seems to be ok now, and the screaming was probably a little more to do with just being scared, but it definitely hurt him a little bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 10:32 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Poor little guy. Their tails are actually an extension to their vertebrate, so it could have injured the bone as well. Probably all that the vet will want to do is amputate the bruised part. (most likely). It could just be dead tissue and eventually fall off.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 07:51 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for your reply! The good news is that I was watching him really closely for about an hour after it happened, and within 20 minutes or so the purple had disappeared and the pink had gone down quite a bit, too. He didn't seem to mind having his tail touched lightly, so I decided to go to bed. I just checked him this morning and everything looks back to normal! Needless to say, I think he'll be avoiding the couch for a while!

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-26-2009, 09:30 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Oh great! Then it was probably just a small bruise and he will probably get over it

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie