Bugs in my food.. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Bugs in my food..

There are weird little bugs in my food. this has happened before. how do i stop it?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:30 PM
Zoo Keeper

This happened all the time when I was using a lower quality food since I switched it never happens I also store mine in air tight containers

Proud Mommy to-
Cat: Emma
Rats: Apollo, Yuki, Ember, Mei
Hamsters: Kodi, Bear, Koda, Abbi

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:33 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

i keep mine in a bag. is that bad ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Zoo Keeper

I do that now but I wouldnt recommend it ... a food storage container would work best. I plan to switch to glass containers soon.

Proud Mommy to-

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

ok. thank you. do you know the food things with red lids ?

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Zoo Keeper

I think so ...

I'm planning on jars like
http://cloud.graphicleftovers.com/30...-for-spice.jpg
or
http://images.crateandbarrel.com/is/image/Crate/GlassJarHalfGallonS06?$lg$

Proud Mommy to-

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 PM
is a little "special"

You can freeze it too, to kill all the bugs.

"For the animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.They are not brethen, they are not underlings; they are other nations caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendor and travail of the earth."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

oooooo those r nice. well the ones im talking about are rubbermaid.. im gonna use that now lol

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
You can freeze it too, to kill all the bugs.

there was only a lil bit left so i threw it out

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Zoo Keeper

yeah I'm thinking of using plastic too if you can afford it glass is nice it looks better and more antibacterial

Proud Mommy to-

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

weve got some glass things like those but i dont know if i can use any. my step mom is weird about things so i might have to buy it if i wanna use that.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2011, 07:04 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

What kind of food do you use? Any time you see bugs, you definitely should throw it all out--don't risk giving any of it to your pets, even if some of it looks okay. You can freeze it, as someone above mentioned, and I would also recommend putting it in an airtight food storage container as opposed to leaving it in the bag. If your storage area tends to be a bit humid, that could have something to do with the bug problem.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 AM
RAT ADDICT

That can be unnerving,huh? But it does happen. I would just throw the food away and get new stuff. I store my rat food in those bins and NEVER had a problem.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Zoo Keeper

i had air tight plastic containers once and bugs were still in my food ... try freezing it then storing it

Proud Mommy to-

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-22-2011, 09:07 AM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliriyanna View Post
i had air tight plastic containers once and bugs were still in my food ... try freezing it then storing it
Then they came in the food or at least eggs/larvae did. That is possible and happens a lot apparently. I never had the problem but know people who have.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
bugs, food, mice