built a grotto cage, but need some answers - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

built a grotto cage, but need some answers

i've had my grotto cage for about a week now, and the girls have been in it for about that. how do you guys stop it smelling? what do you use on the floor? i've been wiping mine down every evening but my girls poo EVERYWHERE, so the whole wiping down strategy isnt working.

one of my girls is having runny poo's which STINK, i think it's because i ran out of food before the new bag came in so i had to get the ronnie rat food while the other one came in. i'm in a smaller room now, so it stinks up the room in a few hours.

any tips on keeping the room as smell free as i can?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Cheryl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:12 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

Well, my rats got moved from the lounge downstairs, to my bedroom upstairs and I have male ratties so they really do smell!
I understand your situation. Unfortunatly for me, I got so used to the smell, that I can no longer smell it, if you know what I mean. So I don't actually know when they do or do not smell, but to prevent problems, I keep one window open and I don't close my door. If I keep my door open, than the smell isn't as bad and as long as you keep doing what you are doing than I don't think it should bother anyone. I don't know if you will be able to find it where you live, but I have a powder, which is completely harmless to rats, which I sprinkle on the floor of their cage/ bedding and it sort of absorbs their smell and prevents it from smelling as much, I'll give you the link;
http://www.petsathome.com/find/categ...oduct-is-14026
I find this helps, but it doesn't completly get rid of the smell.
One last thing I can suggest. I put newspaper/ paper/ cardboard on the bottom of the cage, so any wee/poo they do, will go on there, and it won't stick to the bottom of the cage, (this also helps me witht he cleaning) and than I put the bedding on top. However, some rats like to pull up what you put at the bottom of their cage, so you'll just have to give it a try and see how it goes lol.
Good luck!!
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10

Last edited by laydeerodentzz; 04-18-2009 at 06:15 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

we have exactly that over here! i think i might run out and buy some shortly. ive used it before and i didnt notice any difference, but then again i can't smell the rats either!
my rats are exactly the rats who like to rip up stuff on the floor, but i think i'll give the newspaper a go and i'll put some bedding down on top of it.

ive heard some people talk about using fleece on here, was that for the bottom of cages, or was it to stop their feet being hurt on wire?

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 11:35 AM

i have the same smell problem and its getting to me! i've decided to break down, get a new cage, and sell this one. we've had a lot of problems with it. we made little blankets to put down out of fleece but they chew it up, and get under it and peeing all on the wood. its just too much.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Part of the Pack

Put a vinyl shelf liner on the shelves so urine doesn't sink into the wood. To prevent them from chewing through the wood walls, you can line the walls with 8" of aluminum flashing, which also wipes down very well. Aluminum flashing is like 30.00 for 50', so you will have extra, and a lot of it. I simply made the walls of my units out of the flashing.

Install edges to the fronts of your shelves using brackets to keep bedding on the shelves. Then use whatever kind of normal bedding on the shelves to keep the smell down and the urine from just sitting on the shelf. I currently have about 34 rats between two huge shelving units and am able to get away with weekly cleaning - once I can start to smell the urine, I know it's time for a cleaning.

Caprice Acres

NMGA miniature meat goats, Silver Fox and NZW Rabbits, Muscovy ducks, several breeds of chickens, fancy mice and rats in Michigan

Tags
smelly room