Bumblefoot? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Question Bumblefoot?

So my rat, Stinker, has a very swollen front right paw/foot. I'd noticed it yesterday, and actually called my vet, who said that I could bring him in today at 2pm, his only open appointment. So I did take him. Dr Mac told me that Bumblefoot usually occurs on the hind feet/legs, but that he didn't feel any broken bones, and other than Stinker not putting his full weight on it, it doesn't appear to be infected. He gave me some Ketaprofen, but warned me that Stinker may not eat it, and to give him childrens tylenol if that works better.
I guess my question is can rats get Bumblefoot on their front feet as well, and what should I look for? Dr Mac told me that since there weren't any of the usual signs of it, it may just be an injury (since he looks to have a slight bruise across his shoulders) but he hasn't had any red bumps indicating the start of bumblefoot.
And any advice on the giving of medication? He is particularly not fond of taking it!

Thanks!!

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath."
~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 07:04 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TweedleDeedle3 View Post
So my rat, Stinker, has a very swollen front right paw/foot. I'd noticed it yesterday, and actually called my vet, who said that I could bring him in today at 2pm, his only open appointment. So I did take him. Dr Mac told me that Bumblefoot usually occurs on the hind feet/legs, but that he didn't feel any broken bones, and other than Stinker not putting his full weight on it, it doesn't appear to be infected. He gave me some Ketaprofen, but warned me that Stinker may not eat it, and to give him childrens tylenol if that works better.
I guess my question is can rats get Bumblefoot on their front feet as well, and what should I look for? Dr Mac told me that since there weren't any of the usual signs of it, it may just be an injury (since he looks to have a slight bruise across his shoulders) but he hasn't had any red bumps indicating the start of bumblefoot.
And any advice on the giving of medication? He is particularly not fond of taking it!

Thanks!!
Well let's determine if its bumblefoot or not first.

Here's your classic bumblefoot, a typical, not severe case. Bumblefoot can be genetic, caused by obesity, filthy conditions where the foot is cut and the bacteria goes in, and age where the whole sole of the foot is pressed on the ground.
This girl was older but tiny and it was probably genetic for Mattie

For her I only used Blu-Kote to dry up the bumblefoot. If it was infected there would need to be antibiotics, oral and topical if possible.

Bumblefoot doesn't swell up the entire foot and usually is on the hind feet.

An injury or even a bacterial infection looks like this.

I gave Tonka metacam for her bad sprain, and in a couple of days it was improving.

Ketaprofen is an NSAID like metacam, but so is Infant/children's Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil) and instead of Tylenol (which is useless for swelling/inflammation) you could use that instead.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks Spaz! I've never had a rat that had any form of Bumblefoot, but from the pictures, it doesn't look like that! I tired to get a picture of Stinker's foot, while I was giving him his meds, he was more interested in getting kisses than taking pictures, or taking meds, but it's not as swollen as it was yesterday. And he is using it more. Here are the pics I was able to get..

Should I switch back to wood bedding in his cage for now? I've recently switched them over to fleece liners, but I can't really imagine that wood bedding would be better?

I was really tired last night, but it's his left front foot

He is using it more, and he's not as cranky as he was yesterday, but then I'd be crabby too if someone took me to the Vet (I like Dr MacNeil, the animals don't really seem to care for him!)

~W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

looks like a mild sprain, I would just leave it, especially as it is going down. I wouldn't bother changing the bedding as they can sprain themselves on anything LOL

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Official Loofah Tester

lilspaz, thank you for sharing this. I'm learning so much from you by browsing these threads.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

He's a silly boy, so I imagine he got that from wrestling from Porkavian (who still hasn't lot all of his hair)
Spaz, you must be a saint, and a very good rattie Momma, all of your rats look so spoiled, and loved. You are blessed! And Thank You for the pictures, even though my vet see's rats, I don't think that he see's very many, probably just a handfull if that. But I'm glad he was able to see us, and glad I took him in, he is my lovey dovey baby, and I'd feel really badly if he was sick.

He doesn't mind the ketaprophen, as long as I give him some yogies afterward!

~W.C. Fields
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Thats great about him taking the ketaprofen, that's best for him You can stop once the swelling is down.

YW Storyseeker, I find pics really help people to understand and are able to relate more to what is going on with their own rats.

I have a pretty big library of medical stuff, mundane stuff, like the difference between .02 and .2 cc's is on a 1 cc medicating syringe etc.

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Official Loofah Tester

LS: I love people with lots of use (ful/less) information in their heads or on their person.

Tweedle: I'm glad you're figuring out what's wrong, and that your little guy's headed towards mending. Hah, I'm still getting used to hairless rats. They're little aliens. They are special cases of mamaluv.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-16-2009, 09:24 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

yeah i want to thank you too lilspaz! Like I felt a bit stupid not knowing the difference between megacolon and just fat, but it's very reasuring to have someone like you and in the end I thought the pics might help someone with the same doubt as me!
Glad that Stinker's doing better
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 06:21 AM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustette View Post
yeah i want to thank you too lilspaz! Like I felt a bit stupid not knowing the difference between megacolon and just fat, but it's very reasuring to have someone like you and in the end I thought the pics might help someone with the same doubt as me!
Glad that Stinker's doing better
Don't worry about it Dustette. MC is a very scary condition, and its better to ask then miss something like that right?

I used to ask everyone everything I could, etc...we have to share what we know to help each other and their rats

- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

yes we do!
I wish more people knew more about rats, so many people have horrible misconceptions!
My grandmother, when I told her I had Louna, wrote to me "That's great you have a pet, but you need to be careful because rats can give you all sorts of horrible diseases"...
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I tell ya, knowing my own grandma the way I do, I'd have probably looked at her in all sincerity and said, "Don't worry Gran, I took her home and gave her a bath immediately after obtaining her from the open sewer. And don't worry, the bite i received fishing her out wasn't so bad after the third round of antibiotics."

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-17-2009, 05:11 PM
Official Loofah Tester

...but that's just me.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2009, 06:20 AM
the rodent lover<3

lol Storyseeker!

my name is Jonni,
i'm weird for making my username
Angelica

~ one Betta, unnamed as of now ~

Tags
bumblefoot