Paw Talk - Pet Forums banner

Cage bar spacing question...

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  rodentopia 
#1 ·
Ok, so i'm getting mice in aug. and my ag teacher said she had a cage for me to use . i just got it home its a wire cage. she said she used it for mice before in some of her classes. But i measured the wires and they're 1/2 inch spaces inbetween. i thought that mice needed as a max spacing of 1/4 inch so they wouldn't exscape. she says they never have but i wanted to check with you guys.

#2 ·
as far as i know a 1/2 inch should be ok unless there's baby mice involved, then i'd go for a 1/4 inch. i've never had mice though, so i'd probably look it up. maybe you could do some more research into mice keeping before you get the mice? it would help prevent any shocks and let the forum have a break from "help my blah is blah" first posts. not saying that you will, but i hope you know what i mean.

i'm sure there's someone on here who knows good mouse sites or mouse books.

i hope this helps

#4 ·
Ok so i've been asking around and 1/2 seems to large so which option would be better?

1: Put like a wire mesh around cage wiire so they can't get out

2: I heard they can't see far so put the cage on a shelf far from any other shelf so they won't try to get out because they can't see

#5 ·
i'd get a new cage, but wire mesh will probably do until you can afford one or it's convenient to buy one. make sure there's no edges that could potentially hurt the animal, i like to run toilet paper along the corners and then rub my hands all over any areas the animal could get onto. if it can hurt me then it can probably hurt them.

the shelf idea probably wont work because if mice are anything like rats they're tricksy and will try to escape to go check out what's not there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.