Cage bar spacing question... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Cage bar spacing question...

Ok, so i'm getting mice in aug. and my ag teacher said she had a cage for me to use . i just got it home its a wire cage. she said she used it for mice before in some of her classes. But i measured the wires and they're 1/2 inch spaces inbetween. i thought that mice needed as a max spacing of 1/4 inch so they wouldn't exscape. she says they never have but i wanted to check with you guys.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Candy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pet's name: Lilly Bud
Pet's name:
Baby
Pet's name: Pinkie
Pet's name: Lilly Pad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 05:49 PM
Part of the Pack

as far as i know a 1/2 inch should be ok unless there's baby mice involved, then i'd go for a 1/4 inch. i've never had mice though, so i'd probably look it up. maybe you could do some more research into mice keeping before you get the mice? it would help prevent any shocks and let the forum have a break from "help my blah is blah" first posts. not saying that you will, but i hope you know what i mean.

i'm sure there's someone on here who knows good mouse sites or mouse books.

i hope this helps

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-20-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ya i've been looking into it for a while. Got a few good books but none of them say what spacing should be for adult mice....

Pet's name:
Baby

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Ok so i've been asking around and 1/2 seems to large so which option would be better?

1: Put like a wire mesh around cage wiire so they can't get out

2: I heard they can't see far so put the cage on a shelf far from any other shelf so they won't try to get out because they can't see

Pet's name:
Baby

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Part of the Pack

i'd get a new cage, but wire mesh will probably do until you can afford one or it's convenient to buy one. make sure there's no edges that could potentially hurt the animal, i like to run toilet paper along the corners and then rub my hands all over any areas the animal could get onto. if it can hurt me then it can probably hurt them.

the shelf idea probably wont work because if mice are anything like rats they're tricksy and will try to escape to go check out what's not there.

Pets name: Cheryl

Pets name: Kimberley

Babies:
rats: girls:belle, beauty and sweetness Boys: ronnie and oscar
Dogs: Cassie, Jazzmin and Buddy
Cat: Pebbles
Hamster: Skye
gerbils: Tremor and Sparkle
quails
chickens
9 ducks
3 guinea fowl

R.I.P. Cheryl & Kim
:, scabbyquail

Tags
cage, mouse, space