Cage Cleaning - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Still Waiting

Cage Cleaning

So whenever I had my female rats, I could go a week, even a week and a half before their cage would get smelly and messy. But with the boys I have to clean it almost every three to four days, sometimes less! I have heard that males are more smelly but I just realized how much bedding I have to buy all of the time because they go through it so quick. Not to mention carefresh is not the cheapest bedding in the world . Oh well, that is the price you pay!
Well, I was wondering a couple of things actually.
a) How often do you clean your ratty cage?
b) What do you use to clean it?
c) Do you have male or female rats?
d) *random question* Have you heard of/tried rat leashes? I saw them at the pet store and a lady was buying one and said that her rats loved it. That got me curious. My boys love being outside but I get so paranoid they will find a way out.

Well, thanks for taking your time to read

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rest in peace my sweet babies; Sweetie and Butterz.
You will forever be missed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i clean once a weel with hot water and dish soap, anything launderable goes in, and fresh bedding is given. the pee covered bedding i put in the litterbox, so they get the idea.

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 03:15 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect
So whenever I had my female rats, I could go a week, even a week and a half before their cage would get smelly and messy. But with the boys I have to clean it almost every three to four days, sometimes less! I have heard that males are more smelly but I just realized how much bedding I have to buy all of the time because they go through it so quick. Not to mention carefresh is not the cheapest bedding in the world . Oh well, that is the price you pay!
Well, I was wondering a couple of things actually.
When I was using good quality aspen shavings, I cleaned once a week, and this was a cage of 13, a cage of 6, a cage of 8, 2 cages of 2, and 2 singles. I now am trying fleece and that has to be changed every 3-4 days depending on the rats and the cage.
Quote:
When I do a wipe down I use vinegar and water, when I am scrubbing I use the tub, dish soap and a scrub brush.
Quote:
I have both, mostly females, 5 neutered males and I just had 5 intact foster boys recently
Quote:
d) *random question* Have you heard of/tried rat leashes? I saw them at the pet store and a lady was buying one and said that her rats loved it. That got me curious. My boys love being outside but I get so paranoid they will find a way out.
Most rats will hate the leash and get out of it in seconds...not worth the money. We had this big leash/harness debate on another forum...consensus was no. why not make them a wire pen with a lid you can put on your lawn or something like that? They will be protected but still able to bound thru the grass and smell all the delicious outdoor things.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:18 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

a) How often do you clean your ratty cage? once every week and a half
b) What do you use to clean it? scoop out all the bedding (Carefresh for now but soon to switch to yesterdays news) then use clorox whipes to wipe everything down.
c) Do you have male or female rats? 4 females in a large cage able to house 12
d) *random question* Have you heard of/tried rat leashes? I baught the comfort harness, from super pet, it doesnt fit my rat its too big, the clasps for extra security are bulky but it looked cute on my kitten when he was small enough to wear it.

If you want to take them out side maybe get a bunny run? with holes small enough they cant get out. Plus on the leashes they are expencive for having to get one for each that you want to take out or just take one out at a time which i dont like doing..

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Daily wipe downs....full clean fortnightly (or when required)
I use a product called 'Spray & Wipe with bicarb soda'
I have 3 females
2 of my girls like the leashes....one I haven't tried it on as yet....with the leash on they can come with me in the car and visiting ...bit hard to do that with an enclosure

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 PM
RAT ADDICT

I clean my cages once a week.I have 4 large rat cages.

I clean it in the shower,using mild soap and sometimes dish liquid.I scrub it down good.

I have 7 males.

I have tried a leash/harness yrs ago when I got my first rats.They didn't like it.I take my rats outside,but not on harness.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I wipe down my cage daily or every other day with unscented baby wipes to get all the food crumbs and pee off (if they do happen to pee on the shelves)

Every week to every week and a half I do a full cage cleaning. I used to take out all the shelves and clean them in the bath tub with antibacterial soap, but now I just take the cage outside and pressure wash it.

Do you use things like boxes and fleece? They can start to stink really quickly, and that might be what you're smelling. I know people rave about yesterday news, but I personally like ecobedding. It's completely dust free. I get it cheap online.

*Missy*
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

My girlie rats get a good cleaning every 7-9 days.

The boys--nastly little guys could probably use one every two days. But I do it every 5. Tomorrow's the day.

I use a litterbox with both boys and girls. The boys hide their food in the litterbox and poo on the towels around the box. The girls dump the majority of the litter out of the box, then poo in the box. I just dunno about these critters. All of the floors are covered with linoleum and covered with a towel or cloth diaper. The 'kitchen, food floor' has plastic placemats zip tied on.

Re cleaning: I clean all of the removeable stuff in hot water and spray with bleach water-- very diluted. I wipe down all of the shelves and wire sides with soap and water. I change out all of the boxes and stuff weekly and put in fresh flooring towels and clean hammocks and such. The girls cage takes 20-30min. The boys cage, since it is so large-30X18X59--takes 1hr. Except last week it took two---kids and phone calls--sheesh.

here is the boys cage---
Attached Images
File Type: jpg clean cage.jpg (58.4 KB, 10 views)

Redsweettart

boys: cadoo, cosmo, jinx, moe, ziggy
girlies: sox, chops

gone: Inky--2/7/07 Oreo 4/1/07
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 12:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkie1205
Do you use things like boxes and fleece? They can start to stink really quickly, and that might be what you're smelling. I know people rave about yesterday news, but I personally like ecobedding. It's completely dust free. I get it cheap online.
I use tissue boxes,fleece and other materials like that and your right,after a few days they will start smelling from being pee soaked! I wash my fleece/rat blankies in the washer every now and again using baby deterganet (it is milder then the regular) and I will replace the boxes.

A few times I have went out and bought boxes of tissues,JUST for the boxes...hehehe!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I work at a school...so i get a steady supply of small empty boxes and carboard rolls...so i just throw and replace them as soon as they start to get whiffy

The towels, provided they haven't chewed em to bits *L*...get washed in apple laundry liquid

Dog~ Nika (f)
Cats~Scamp (m) & Simvar (m)
Fish~Tropicals & Goldies

RIP Scooby doo & Louise
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Part of the Pack

it could be the shavings. I use vinigar and water.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

a) 2rats in one cage every two or 3 days, 3+rats every two days
b)water, Bleach(very little),& Vin.
c) 4 males 8 females
d) I use a lesh with my Rabbits but so fare not with my rats. i don't think i could get some of them to stay still lol.

My Kids:6
, 5
, 1
, 1
, 1
Gecko, 1 Fiance

Note: My hammocks are not exclusively for rats

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 03:41 PM
Playful Pup

i dont have any Rats but i have mice and they are pretty much the same.
anyway, you usually get a spray bottle from pet shops that say hutch cleaner on it, you are ment to clean the cages every 4 to 7 days.
if you walk the rats in your back yard or even in the house, eventually they will get used to you walking them.

hope i helped

Tags
aspen shavings, cage cleaning, female rat, female rats, male rat, male rats, neutered male, pet shop, pet shops, pet store, rat cage