Cage with no messy bedding? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cage with no messy bedding?

I was wondering if anyone had good experiences with putting many hammocks in the cage and not using store bought bedding? Right now I'm using Aspen shavings in open boxes. While I do have a couple rats that like to nap in the litter box (Yesterday's News) occasionally. I'd like to get them to just use the hammocks instead of the Aspen shavings.

Edit: I'd like to have duplicate hammocks so that they can just be thrown in the washer.

Is this a bad/good idea? My only real concern has to do with the urine. I know that they are using a corner of the aspen nest box to urinate.

Suggestions welcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

I think having the hammocks is great but I still think you need bedding. My girls have hammocks and bedding and a litter box and the cage hardly ever stinks. You can use fleece for bedding and just have one big piece as big as the bottom of the cage and just wash it every so often.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Official Loofah Tester

I had the exact same question not too long ago.

The breeder I've been in correspondence to for my rats says she uses cut to size fleece to line the cage and levels, and throws wadded fleece blankets in for burrowing and and sleeping. She also cuts fleece blankets to size and hangs them as hammocks. She gets all her fleece from the scraps section of her local fabric store for cheap. She has enough of everything to have a couple of changes per cage, that way she can trade out every couple of days and throw them in the wash with minimal mess or fuss. She uses aspen for the litter boxes only.

Hanging out in the Land of New Feetsies:
Melon, Skinner, Black Pete, Zanna, Custard, Tucker, Jeffrey, Zmei, and Windham.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks

Thanks... That's sort of what my idea was. Have double everything so that I can just wash every couple of days and also save a little bit of money on the bedding. I think I'll integrate much more fleece and start reducing some of the aspen.

I'll make a wooden box that I can fill with aspen for them. I just won't make it nearly as big as the boxes they have now. One of my girls must think it's fun to kick just enough shavings out of the box so that there's a 'lawn' in the cage.

I already have like 8 yards of fleece so if anything they will have a great time playing in all of the hammocks and levels and cubes.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 PM
Rat Rescuer and Hospice

What type of cage do you have? For cages that will not sit on and "pin" the fleece down you need to make your own type of fleece pan. Cut a piece of coroplast a bit smaller than the base of the cage, then fold your fleece over it, and lay it in the cage. Don't use aspen in your litter pans, it sticks to fleece like velcro, use yesterday's news or some other pelleted paper for that.

To the world you are only one person, to your rat you are the World
- anonymous -

The Rat Shack

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Cage

This is my cage

It pretty much allows me to do what I want with it.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 07:37 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I never use store-bought bedding for my boys. They have a litter box with Yesterday's News, and then multiple hammocks and fleece blankets on the floor of their cage, plus extras to cuddle with during naptime. They really love the blankets, so I think this is definitely a good way to go if you don't want to deal with messy bedding.

Max (5/28/00-1/9/12)
Russell (7/22/09-11/27/11)
Stanley (7/22/09-3/15/12)

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks

Thanks... That's what I was wanting to hear. I put one pyramid in last night and 2 of them are already rooming in it. maybe this will work. It's worth a shot at least.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-22-2009, 08:53 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I only have cloth in my cage, except for the toilet corner that has hemp bedding. (very very absorbent, if my rat pees on it, you can't even see where anymore after 2 minutes)
I throw everything in the wash every week or a little less, while she's out on the couch with me, I only have one spare cage bottom just in case, but never use it. It's super simple, saves loads of money. I bought my hemp bedding bag on october 31st, and it still looks like I didn't even use any! cost me 7$