Cage Question - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:04 PM Thread Starter

Cage Question

This is the cage I have now (w/out the wheel): http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753300

This is the cage I want to get: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753352

The vet did say something like if the cage isn't big enough, that might be the reason Lily is biting. They do snuggle a lot and sleep together a lot, but Lily has been biting Daisy (i have them in separate cages right now). Should I get the new cage?

I would like an answer A.S.A.P. because if I find the cage tomorrow, I will get it.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

I am going to buy the cage (if i can find it) and a bunch of toys... and hopefully that will end the biting. They are very sweet to each other, other than Lily biting Daisy at night. And I think that might be my fault... not having enough room & toys for them. So, I will get the cage and more toys.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:42 PM

Yes try the bigger cage and maybe more toys and things to keep them occupied!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

I am going to do it first thing in the morning!

My mom doesn't like the fact that I am gonna be spending more money on my girls, but I love my rats and I want them to be happy TOGETHER, not in separate cages. So, if I have to spend money to make that happen.. I will!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 12:49 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

I understand your situation. When I get money I put it into my savings account and dont spend a penny unless its on my pets. My mom thinks I'm weird for doing this and she probably expects me to go on a shopping frenzy, but I spend it all on my pets unless there is something that I do actually need.

The cage sounds like a good idea, it will help because it will be brand new, so it wont nessercerily belong to either one of your rats. My advice to you would be to put the rat that is not biting in first and then put Lily in 2 mins later so that Lily is not really entitled to bite and she should not. I would also recommend you to put them in at night when the biting starts or if you look out for any biting dure in the day, put them in then, straight away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

That's a good idea.. putting Daisy in first and then Lily a couple minutes after.

I'll be getting the cage in the morning so I don't want to wait to put them in until the night time, but I will definately keep an eye on them. It'll be easy since it's the weekend and I don't have any plans. So, I can keep an eye on them Saturday & Sunday.. gotta go back to work on Monday.

Thanks for the advice!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:42 AM
Will It Ever Change?

good cage choice! yeah it is likely that they're biting because they feel cramped. cages are fun! the bigger the better! i like martinscages.com

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

I just got home from PetSmart & PetCo. Neither one had the cage. I did buy some toys from PetCo though, so they have some new things to play with now. I ordered the cage and two cute beds and one kind of toy from the websites.

I'll be taking them out a lot to play with each other. The only other cage I have is the 1-level cage so that's the one Daisy is in for now, until we get the new cage since I have to keep them apart.. since apparently they can't get along in the two-level cage. But I will take them out a lot to play together and be able to run around in the bathroom (only place i can let them run around).
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

This is the cage I ordered - http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2753352

And two of these - http://www.petco.com/product/9591/Su...uddle-Cup.aspx

And these - http://www.petco.com/product/100201/...Jacks-Toy.aspx

I bought two things today and after I get the cage, I will get more toys.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

cool, that looks great! Thoughs beds are seriously cute!

I have to go back to work on monday to, shame cuz it's a bank holiday lol, only working in the morning so should be over in a flash hehe

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Lovely cage and toys !!
BTW just incase see that wheel on the new cage you ordered just watch incase one of your babies feet get caught because i have heard lots of dreadful stories about them !
So just watch hun !!
Good luck spoiling your babies !
x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 05:21 PM
Will It Ever Change?

niiiiice cage! im very impressed, can't wait to see it

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 06:31 PM
laugh often

that's a pretty cool cage. Also how many houses do they have? Try giving them at least one territory like (houses tubes) so they can sleep and get away from one another that shold help too I like to use 2 liter bottles for tubes.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2008, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

They have one wooden house they share.. they snuggle and sleep together fine when I have them together. It's usually at night when Lily is doing the biting. Earlier today in the bathroom during play time she was being a big bully to Daisy and Daisy was very jumpy when I tried to touch her or pick her up. They've been like this before. I'm wondering if they are in heat when this happens. I don't know. I just hope the bigger cage and more toys will help. They're still in separate cages right now and will be until I get the bigger cage. If they are still not getting along, atleast I'll have two big cages instead of just one big cage and one small one.

Tags
level cage, separate cages