Cages :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Mouse & Rat Discussion Twitching whiskers, tiny paws, and all else mouse or rat related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Cages :)

Ok i was wondering if anyone has this cage ?
http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/acat...6900_large.jpg
And if so how is it ?

Also i thought this would be a good thread for uploading your rats homes as it would give people good ideas for there cages So
Please,Please, Get uploading and posting here

x

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:17 PM

That's a nice looking cage. It looks pretty sturdy compared to some of the taller rodent cages. Only thing I see that may prove to be difficult is the base. The rats may learn to push the base out if it's not heavy enough [duct tape and its many uses]. It's also not very deep so they'll push as much bedding out as they can. If you get this cage, or a cage like this I'd recommend using sheets instead of bedding, and just do a daily vacuum, and weekly or twice-weekly sheet swap. Oh and you'll definitely need more shelves. It seems too bare.

Where did you find this cage anyways? Who's the maker? I'd like to check it out a bit more.

And thanks for the thread! This should be awesome in giving me cage ideas. I'll arrange some pictures of my old cage setups and post them here to give other people ideas =D.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:10 PM

Warning: Picture heavy.

Here's some of my past cages. Most pictures were taken right after cage cleaning and all their toys weren't dry yet. For the few who hated toys -- all my rats have/still do get out time for the majority of the night.

Collapsible, $20 ~$40. Not for girl rats! Small girls can squeeze out. Chinchilla cage by superpet.

Coast Cages -- $70. I love this cage. It is by far the easiest to clean, the most durable, overall the nicest cage I've ever had. Comfortably accommodates the needs of 2 large boys. May be able to fit 4 smaller rats (dwarf, female). I never planning on having girls again so if you try it let me know how it works for you.

Got this cage for free from someone who wanted to get rid of the sweetest chinchilla I'd ever met. It appears to be a homemade cage. Galvanized coating, not as good as powder coating, but better than nothing. If you find one like this I'd say go for it. Only trouble is it's very heavy, and bulky thus making it hard to clean.

This one makes a wonderful quarantine/sickie/old rattie cage. It also fits on most desks =D. Also, if you notice the background.. yogies are a great bonding material lol. So stock up when buying new rats! 24" cage (size of a 20 gallon) made by All Living Things. Around $30.

I can't seem to find a front-view of this cage... so this pic does it no justice. Here's a warning for everyone; I impulse bought the following cage for $80. The bars were NOT coated. The pee soaked right in, so after a few months the cage reeked of rat urine. The urine coated the corners of the cage from top to bottom and the only thing that got the cage clean was hours of scrubbing with small metal brushes. I bought this cage with my girl, Mikiboo, who is still alive. She's 2 years 7 months. I stopped using this cage a year ago -- the smell was horrendous. So take my advice and don't impulse buy non-coated cages.

But no matter what size cage you buy, there will be times where it's never big enough for all of your rats.

Hope this helps everyone in their decision making =D. If you want my opinion, and you're not keeping more than 4 rats -- go with Coast Cages. They make WONDERFUL cages! Super Pet, Martins Cages, and Ferret Nation are also good cage makers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:29 PM

The coast cages one is the same one as I have, I LOVE IT!!! It was totally worth the money and is super easy to clean. The only problem I see with the cage from pet world direct is that the bottom is too shallow and the bedding will go every where. I like all the space though.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:47 AM
Zippy Chickenshorts

nice looking cage Claire, this is my current cage;

excuse the bottem it is a little messy lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 AM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

My Ferret Nation that I still have. It is using me as a scale

This is one of those 2x2 superpet cages that a lot of people are buying
I modified mine a lot

*Missy*
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Wow your cages are Gorgeous !!
I hate my cage thats why im getting a new one hopfully

Here is a OLD one of the full cage ( Its changed ALOT )

Here is an up to date one of the inside

Yeah the bottom of the cage i like is shallow but i don't use bedding its to messy i use lining paper/vinyl or anything like that

Its from http://www.petworlddirect.co.uk/
Keep coming with your cage pictures people !!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:34 AM

Jeez...Nice pics everyone. Beautiful cages!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:54 AM Thread Starter

Thank You
Have you got any rats if so have you any pictures of there cages ?
x

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:18 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Here are some pics of the cage my boys were in for a long time. It was great for my first build, but I need to make a new one.

Top Part

Bottom Part

I only have two left, so here is the one they are in now since I had to throw the wooden one out.

It has a lot more in it now, that was when I first set it up. I have another cage, but no good pics of the whole thing.

Maureen

Six new rats
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Dinky Gerbilelbow

I have the Freddy 2 v=cage and i think they are rubbish lol. Not the cage itself but the shelves in them dont last long before the threads go I am currently looking for new shelves!!

*Carla*
I
my animals!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Yeah the shelves are so bad and mine pee on it for some reason LOL :S
MO!!! i would so love to be able to make something like your first big cage
i've always wanted a big cage but i think im going to buy the tower cage!!
although its £30 delivery !!
SO DEAR!

Tags
cage cleaning